Wizards vs Sounders 10/9 7:30 p/i/p [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by NorthbankHighbury, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Maybe our definitions of "good" vary. KC isn't good. Entertaining? Just about every week. Bocu chances each way. Few boring 1-0 games. But that isn't always good. There are only so many areas to be criminally deficient in any team game. KC is bordeline terrible at the back, definitely bad, and wholly wastful in both selection and execution of shots. How can a team be both unable to stop even middling opposition or score from play and be considered a good team? Can't do it.

KC's ID today is leaky at one end and wasteful at the other while being an accurate barometer for most of the rest of MLS. 3 more games lost than won. Overwhelmingly losing record, useless in Cups, a joke DP, a revolving door of 3rd-tier non-Americans, uncertain colors, and higher costs for all fans since OnGoal took over. In return fans get to pay signifigantly more for a paid for stadium afar and entertaininglybad soccer.

2. bobunbury

bobunbury Member

Aug 16, 2004
    How do you account for them going on the road last week and dominating the Red Bulls? The funny thing about this team is that they don't look good at home (small field).

3. gymclasshero

gymclasshero Member

Aug 25, 2008
    KCMO
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    He wasn't clipped intentionally, that was a dive.

Also, a few people mentioned the small field as a disadvantage to us, which I think is a weak excuse overall; but I remember hearing or reading somewhere that the team practiced in a field with similar dimensions at Swope to avoid such problems.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure what you're getting at with this statement. Whether he was clipped intentionally or not does not make it a dive.

5. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, I can't review the play on my DVR recording - it stopped short - but if you roll back to an attack very shortly previous to that, Teal is shoved off the ball but fights through the contact to no avail; he's not able to turn and get the cross off. The contact on that play looked much worse than the trip on the penalty.

6. gymclasshero

gymclasshero Member

Aug 25, 2008
    KCMO
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    My bad.

The way I see it, he falls on his own. After the trip, He takes one step (Right foot) and then instead of taking another step with his left foot he decides to let the left foot slide because he couldn't catch the ball.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That I agree with, the initial content was likely enough for a call, but the fact that Teal then took that next step, realized the ball was going out, then fell is what everyone is talking about.

8. Kasmatsu

Kasmatsu Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Gardner, KS
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If refs would just call the contact like they should, players wouldn't need to play act to get calls they should be getting anyway. He was fouled. He doesn't get the call if he stays up.

9. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. If they are gonna not call things, do it both ways...but not to where things get out of control. For a bit I thought they might. Maybe he sensed it and that's when he started calling things tighter (but not anal).

10. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really cant say much about the play on the field that hasnt been said. I was also very intoxicated too.

But, I would like to give props to the F.O. for marketing the hell out of this game and packing the house. We had some first-timers in our group and they walked away very impressed and will probably be back. I think we might also have 2 new season ticketholders starting next season as we have had a couple of people that started to come to games this year and now are solid fans.

This was my last game of the season unless we make the playoffs so that means my last game at CAB. While it wasnt the most ideal venue, I will miss the place. I loved the ability to move around and watch the games from different places.

11. roboatse

roboatse Member

Oct 4, 2010
    seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just want to say GG to KC.

12. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone saying Teal shouldnt go down is insane, if you get clipped in a spot where your arent going to score for sure you go down. at the other end of the field in the previous game, Jimmy Conrad was clipped and didnt go down, how did that turn out? given how terrible our finishing is, might as well try it. ref knew he went down on purpose, but knew he was indeed clipped, which is why the PK was called but no card was pulled

game was entertaining, goals we gave up were pretty typical for use, attack the middle of the field enough and we will break.

Harrington was impressive, and that is about it from great preformances by Wizards. Our midfield has lost sync, there will be changed though the middle of the field this offseasn

13. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow what a great game. :rolleyes: there is so much being talked about a pk, that I am wondering if anything else happened in the game.

We are pretty bad, and the tactics that PV tries to have the team play isn't very sexy. The two centerbacks are the slowest I have seen in a major league sport. Which doesn't work out well when your 2 fullbacks are constantly trying to go forward to play something that looks like a cross into the box. Jimmy C. everyone favorite Wizard, should have been traded long ago. Now no one is going to give you jack squat for a guy that has lost so much. IMO to many little concussions that no one new about has finally started to catch up with him.

So I hope the FO is really smart this offseason and really looks hard a the coaching staff. What am I thinking, they are trying to figure out what KC municpality to rob their logo and turn it into the new team logo. And for the folks who think that the 1 year band-aid named O. Bravo is going to fix everything. You need to open you eyes more and see that there is alot more needs besides another striker.

14. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    How do I account for it? Two ways. First, KC didn't get a result by both not keeping the sheet clean and wasting many chances...exactly like I mentioned. Second, NY is a good team with a winning record and a quality goal differential in MLS play. KC is not. That game is one of many where KC served as a good league barometer.

Domination in the stats doesn't do much if it doesn't convert to wins and points.

I agree that the small field over this season seems to have been a slight negative. Slight, but not a huge one. Taken as a whole with other details such as quality of opposition, that oppositions' game load, and others; KC beats teams at the bottom and gets beaten by the playoff teams.

The gap of KC to a playoff team isn't a huge one...assuming 1 of 5 results doesn't go KC's way anyway. That will be true of most 9th/10th teams that just miss. What has proven to be a huge gap is the one from KC's results and what would be required to be a legitimate title contender.

KC is on pace to be 4 games under. NY, the likely 4th place team and the last to get the home field in Round 1 is on pave to be 6 above the theorhetical baseball .500 (not precisely applicable to soccer's 3-point system, but whatever). That's a 10-game differential over 30 games between KC yet agains showing zero overall improvement during OnGoal's "everything is great because our unspoken priority is the $100M from WyCo" tenure and KC having a legitimate claim in deed to back up the numerous FO emboldened statements of wanting to win.

OnGoal wants to make it clear that they want to win. Fine. Everyone wants to win except Donald Sterling (Clippers). I'd like to make it clear that deeds are not matching the words yet. It's been a few seasons now.

Further, I'm all for Bravo coming in here and lighting a fire. I'd love to post that his success is a given or a no-brainer. Track record of both KC's recent moves and Mexican stars in MLS isn't much to work with unfortunately. For argument's sake, let's say Bravo is sucessful and stays so for years. Is he alone 10-games difference? Doesn't look like it. KC needs brain and physical at the back, shooting presence team-wide, and probably that elusive ingredient that is most commonly described as "the intangible". Regardless of viewpoint or optomism level, that's an impossibility to ask of any one man.

To the positive, I have to feel as though PV is better at his coaching job than even a season ago. His moves work more often than occasionally to sway points. Not sure you can ask for much more on gameday than that. Bravo is coming. The stadium will be sold out in the short term and winning will keep it that way longer. Changing/adding colors and the ever-changing "rebrand" remains a monumentally stupid idea born of ego, but maybe it will eventuall provides a permanancy that will cease wasting time and can be built upon by everyone.

I'm unconvinced of an overall ability for PV to excell on a league level (what is required) in selecting and recruiting players to get to the top. KC added staff to evaluate players and that has not had direct benefits tot he standings as yet. Maybe all those things comes in time to mesh witht eh new stadium vibe likely to materialize. Maybe not.

To me, the good is at least hopeful if not plain iffy. Other than the stadium, not much concrete, pun intentded. For PV, it's either stagnancy or regression as TD and scant progress as coach. It may be harsh, it may not be. That truth is among the many reasons why it's very hard to win. Whatever the opinion, it's difficult to defend PV's roll as both TD and Coach.

The oversimplified statement is that everyone associated with KCW has to get better at what they do, find new things to be able to do well, adn do both soon. Consistently League 9th in an rough-equality league shouldn't be acceptable. There should be many changes made going into 2011.

The miracle could happen where KC gets the 5 results they need, stomps Columbus in a home game at CAB, outlasts CLB in CLB, and then snags an upset in NY. It wouldn't change what I said too much. I posted long ago that it was likely KC would experience average or less results as OnGoal has very little to lose until well after the new stadium smell wears off the great new digs. If there was ever anything I badly wanted to be wrong about, that was it.

15. musean

musean Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Kansas City
    I just wanted to take a second and thanks everyone that stopped by the tailgate and enjoyed a delicious sandwich from Pandolfi's Deli. If your downtown go bye and say thanks to STH and Owner Jake.

heres where you can find them. http://pandolfisdeli.com/

16. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Probably sounds incredible biased or optimistic or whatever, but I still feel like this is a good team that has run into a lot of bad luck this year. A few inches here, a few calls there, and we have a playoff spot clinched right now. I can't even begin to remember all the games where we outplayed an opponent and gave up points. It's not like this team has come out and played like DC United all year or anything.

17. bobunbury

bobunbury Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Great post!