Wizards/Sporting Alumni v9.1 [R for all games]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BenDover repped this.
  2. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Heard some rumblings from Houston fans, and boy is that team really terrible this year. Generally that's perfectly fine news for me, but I imagine Paolo's managerial career is hitting a brick wall this year.

Bad attendance, terrible results, highly unimpressive signings... the team is in pretty dire straits right now.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hector Herrera is an unimpressive signing?

4. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    He's actually a lot younger than I thought he was. I was pretty sure he's post-international and his legs fell off in Europe, but perhaps not?

I do know that every Houston fan I've seen opine on him, before and after his signing, were significantly unenthused.

5. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the years that MLS has been in Houston, they never have had consistently good attendance. It wasn’t bad in the years when they were dueling with SKC for the conference, but since then, it’s been unimpressive. I think it’s more of a front office and ownership issue than anything else. I’ve been there for games and it was pathetic each time. In my opinion, they ought to move the team to San Antonio and play in the Alamo Bowl. They would have a better fan base in San Antonio, the true Dynamo fans from Houston would still have an easy drive to the games, San Antonio being an hour drive away would make a really good rivalry with Austin, and a they would have a lot better indoor venue to play in. I just don’t think Houston has ever really embraced MLS.

6. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RBNY grab Tyler Pasher off waivers.

7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A moment of silent praise and love for Kei moving into third place in MLS history among goal scorers. What's really interesting it that unlike the top two, who i think only played for one club or two clubs in MLS, Kei has managed 134 goals while playing for 10 MLS sides (plus to stints in England, one in Finland).
    He turns 38 next month.
    He's 10 goals behind Landon, so very unlikely to move further up the ladder, but a hell of a career.

shocksofmighty repped this.
  8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We saw this sort of thing quite a bit out of Felipe Gutierez, but the ball he sent in for Colorado's first goal this weekend was pure class.

BenDover repped this.
  9. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. shocksofmighty

May 6, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    And a supportive guy. Back when he was playing for Houston (2007/8ish?) he showed up at an Austin Aztex game (high school football stadium), sat about 3 seats away from me, and was there to support a fellow Sierra Leonean that was on one of the rosters.

mschofield repped this.
  11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Former player related and related to this coming weekend.

1566907832448040961 is not a valid tweet id

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tweet was deleted, but it was that Nagamura is out in Houston (along with Nielsen).

13. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1566909018681102339 is not a valid tweet id

Of course I don't know all of the back story behind Nagamura being fired,,,,but he is a first year head coach with a limited budget with a squad that he didn't get to create. Unfortunately, he is just the next in a line of fired Dynamo coaches in an organization that doesn't really know how to build a winner.

mschofield repped this.
  14. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    MLS confirms Nagamura is out.
    I have to say that I have no idea if Nagamura could have worked out in Houston or not. But neither do the Dynamo.
    Firing a manager/coach, with less than even one full season either means the person who hired them should go, as well, or that it's a mistake.
    It takes more than a full season to see if someone has a plan that can work, and while the old rule of three is obviously dead, and there might be merit it that, the rule of a chance to get your program up and running also appears to be dead. I did watch Houston this season, and they were quite often crap. But Nags was trying what had to be a dozen different approaches with them, different lineups, etc.
    he was searching for answers, and outside of Quintero, not finding any.
    Now, maybe this was all on him. But I really tire of how within months a hire goes from being our savior to garbage that needs tossing.
    Also, Jimmy N is out, but Zack T remains as the goalkeeping coach. What was Jimmy doing?

15. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nagamura was fired with a record of 8-16-5

Peter has a record of 8-15-6

16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Except that if SKC fired Vermes, it would be impossible to argue that he never had a chance to build a side in his image. If SKC fired Vermes at this stage, it would be an informed decision. I don't know that it would be a decision I'd agree with, but I could certainly understand the reasoning behind that decision. there's a lot of data. pro and con.
    The reasoning behind firing someone who has only had 29 games in charge is pretty much without doubt flawed.

17. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, if what you are saying is correct; if Nags stayed in KC and coached SKC and PV went to Houston and those records were the same,,,, PV would be out on his ass and Nags keeps his job? I know that is a silly question, but Nags just doesn't have the pedigree and past record of success at the MLS level. I still think its pathetic that Houston canned him without giving him another season of building a team with his guys. Still, the W/L comparison is interesting.

18. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100 percent agree. Houston's roster is $hit. Very little talent and Nags got all of what, a few months, to try and improve the team around Herrera? It does seem like a premature firing but Houston is not a well run franchise.

It is, which is why I made it. What it shows it PV has history and an ownership group that believes in him. Still, his seat has to be at least a little warm.

mschofield repped this.
  19. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agree. Houston could argue that he got two windows during which to improve them, but the reality is that it often takes players a full season to figure out MLS. In which case, he got zero effective windows. I mean, Herrera hasn't been peak Herrera yet.
    If Houston was coming off a championship double, shield and cup, and Nags ran the club into the ground, there's more info to work with.
    Hair trigger firing is the in thing among club owners these days, and way too many fans think it's the path to success. but all it does is create chaos

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, PV's seat still has to be warm, even with the improved form over the last month.

That said, here's something interesting about Houston, since Kinnear left in 2014, the Dynamo are on their 7th coach (full time and interim). In their entire history KC has had just 6.

21. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, this is the Houston list. Whole lot of success in there. Looking at it does raise a quick question for here: 1. Why do keep hiring former KC players if they hate them so much?

Paulo Nagamura
    Mar 2, 1983
    Jan 3, 2022Sep 5, 2022 245 days 32 1.09

Tab Ramos
    Sep 21, 1966
    Oct 25, 2019Nov 4, 2021 741 days 57 0.89

Davy Arnaud
    Jun 22, 1980
    Aug 13, 2019Oct 24, 2019 72 days 9 1.11

Wilmer Cabrera
    Sep 15, 1967
    Jan 1, 2017Aug 13, 2019 954 days 112 1.36

Wade Barrett
    Jun 23, 1976
    Jun 7, 2016Oct 27, 2016 142 days 23 1.17

Owen Coyle
    Jul 14, 1966
    Dec 9, 2014May 25, 2016 533 days 49 1.20

Dominic Kinnear
    Jul 26, 1967
    Jan 1, 2006Oct 26, 2014 3220 days 362 1.50

22. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a disaster. I always thought Kinnear was a good manager, and still think Tab Ramos has a future. I had forgotten that Davy was even a coach for Houston.

For all my recent lamentations about the duration of PVs tenure, I 100% would rather have SKCs situation vs the level of turnover that Houston have had. That is indicative of incompetency at a layer above the coach and manager, and that is never good.

BenDover repped this.
  23. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kei just got his 7th goal, along with 6 assists for Montreal.

SKC went almost a whole season without a goal from the CF position. Kei's family lives in KC. He was without club and offseasoning here.

mschofield repped this.
  24. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Kei ... but there are reasons his 4 seasons with SKC (09-13) were twice as long as ANY other stint he had with a club. And those reasons aren't on field production. He was great while he was here, and he's had a HOF type of career with regards to goals scored in MLS ... but there are reasons.

mschofield repped this.
  25. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's now 7 goals behind Donovan for second all time in MLS history. I still can't imagine him scoring another 7, but the two last night were nice. I mean, does he play again next season? I can't imagine it but who knows?
    I do think he would have been a good addition in an emergency situation, but had we made that call, we would not have found Agada, who I believe has several productive years left with us.

IASocFan repped this.