Wizards/Sporting Alumni v9.1 [R for all games]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mschofield repped this.
  2. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, the restriction is 3, and i thought tyey had three, but their new right back, listed as Nigerian, was born in the well known Nigerian city of Haarlem, Netherlands, so his national team play for Nigeria is a legacy deal, meaning they have two non EU players, and can add a third

Blando13 repped this.
  3. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/minnesota-united-exercise-buyout-on-ike-opara

sad to see, but along with Fontas' pretty good season this year one might be inclined to say that SKC did not make such a bad deal after all back then.

I still am critical of it, if only for the fact that Fontas should've never been an Opara replacement - they are just completely different players, and we paid dearly for not having a CB with recovery speed for 2.5 seasons. This season has only been better because (1) we sit deeper without the ball, (2) we score more goals to offset our leaky defense and (3) we now have an actual Opara replacement in Isi, if only he could ever be fully healthy.

4. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wait, isn't that kind of what makes him a perfect Opara replacement? I join you in lamenting a brilliant player ending his career too early. Opara was brilliant for us, and we'd have been better off dropping Besler early (if we had to drop one of them). I wish him the best in his post soccer life.

IASocFan repped this.
  5. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Former Swope Park Rangers coach Marc Dos Santos sacked by Vancouver. He coached well in the lower leagues prior to Vancouver, but couldn't turn the Caps around.

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Vancouver is where promising young managers go to have their careers snuffed out. (cf. Martin Rennie)

IASocFan repped this.
  7. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been trying to watch a Venezia game to see how Busio is doing in Italy. Since I don't have access to their games I have watched the extended highlights on youtube. The latest game vs Torino showed Busio starting and playing 86 minutes at the 6 position. The highlights didn't show much of him and never with the ball. The fact that he is starting indicates he must be showing something to the coaching staff. While Venezia drew with Torino, they have been getting their asses kicked on a regular basis in the league. I hope he can still progress in that environment

IASocFan repped this.
  8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of the stuff I've been reading about him have been impressed with his performance and he's been one of, if not, the best players for Venezia.

IASocFan repped this.
  9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Someone liked this month-old post literally as I was running into Martin freaking Rennie.

With the NWSL slate canceled (I'm the league photographer in Cary), I quickly contacted Notre Dame who is currently playing NC State. They hired me.

Rennie is an assistant coach on the women's team for a former player of his. Had a nice chat before the game. Second half about to start.

IASocFan repped this.
  10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besler announced his retirement.

11. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And SKC didn't offer him a one-day contract to retire in our colors? Seems a bad oversight.

Hell, I'm still fuming that we didn't just keep him here for another season. Seems obvious in hindsight.

vividox repped this.
  12. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a U-Haul outside Besler's KC house on Saturday - looked like they were moving back home.

IASocFan repped this.
  13. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teal Bunbury on his way to Nashville for 150K of GAM.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nagamura set to get the job in Houston.

1475925555346391041 is not a valid tweet id

15. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Good for him! But that's a complex set of emotions here, as for the first time I can recall, I have a quiet reason to not hope that Houston eats a wooden spoon.

16. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Good for Ilie. LAFC is a great place to land.

On the other hand, Benny is taking charge of SKC2!

IASocFan repped this.
  17. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a bit confused by this. So, SKC lets Ilie walk and get picked up by LAFC while they pick up Rosell to fill his spot. These two are pretty much the same player. I have to assume that the salary for Ilie was the problem and Rosell was just a cheaper option?

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1644 Buzz Killington, Jan 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    Ilie's salary was $1m last year, Rosell's salary was less than half that, $475K

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Dom Dwyer impressed the management of Atlanta United during his trial and signed him to a 2 year deal.

mschofield and IASocFan repped this.
  21. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kei Kamara signed by Montreal on a one year deal.

mschofield repped this.
  22. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If it was a longer deal, wouldn't they call it a pension?

BenDover repped this.
  23. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    LAFC after one game with Ilie: "Tactically didn't make a mistake, didn’t step wrong once, was able to control the tempo of the game for us," Cherundolo said. "He found very good spots offensively. He made good decisions, he made very few mistakes on the ball. An excellent performance, a consistent high level, which is what we expected. On top of that, he brings leadership skills and he's a wonderful human being in the locker room as well. So to use from another sport, it's a slam dunk for LAFC."

24. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all knew what we had with Ilie. He was a solid player with leadership skills and well liked by fans and players. But, he also needed a fresh start somewhere else and LAFC gave him a great chance to keep playing with an excellent team. I'm happy for him.

Buzz Killington repped this.