Wizards on 810 WHB today

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Wyoming Wizard, Sep 16, 2003.

1. From the Wizards website--

>>Curt Johnson on 810 WHB Today at 10:40 AM

WHO: Wizards General Manager Curt Johnson will be a guest on "Crunch Time" with Frank Boal and George Brett

WHERE: "Price Chopper Outdoor Team" on 810 WHB

WHEN: Tuesday, September 16th, 10:40 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.CT

CALL IN: 913-381-0810

Fans are welcome to call in and talk soccer with Wizards General Manager Curt Johnson and hosts Frank Boal and George Brett

2. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    http://www.810whb.com/

I'm listening now. Right now (10:43) they're talking about two guys driving a golf cart from KC to Pebble Beach to raise money for ALS.

3. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    CJ:
    "Unbelievably excited"

"We're in hot pursuit of San Jose" :rolleyes:

Pimping Landon Donovan, of course.

Explaining how to get tickets.

Frank Bowl: "Thats great"

"Going after Wizards and soccer record; 37000+"

Good weather coming.

And that was it....literally less than 2 minutes.

4. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    well, that was a bust, He came on did an advertisement and was shooed off.

5. jdouble

jdouble New Member

Jan 22, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    sometimes i really hate this city.

6. SoccerNutScott

SoccerNutScott New Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Olathe, KS
    When I saw the heading for this topic, I was pissed that I missed it and did not hear the show. But 2 minutes, for crying out loud. I could have sneezed and missed it. LOL That Stinks

7. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I listened to it in my truck in Grandview. That was the biggest friggin joke ever.
    The "We are in Hot Pursuit of San Jose" was neat. To bad Frank probably believes him.

I thought it was funny how he just said Curt Johnson of the Wizards. He left out the General Manager part, which struck me as kinda odd. Did anyone else catch that as well?

8. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Someone should be fired.

Actually the reference to CJ was, "representation from the Wizards". Nice lead-in for your top brass. I guess the GM stands for Generally Meaningleess in the Wizards organization. Maybe it's just a sign of things to come...like maybe he will get fired and someone with the proper combination of abilities might be able to take his spot. I don't know that you can fault his effort level, but the results are easily questioned.

Regardless of your personal opinion of CJ efforts on field and off, it was certainly embarassing that he did not even have his title to preceed him. Zero possibility of that happening to any other GM of any other team in the KC area..not even the Explorers. Further, no GM in any league worth his tie would allow himself to be surrounded with PR people that would set him up in such humiliating circumstances. This is a King rife for a coup. The guy before him made similar goofs before his ouster.

Not only was the bit less than 2 minutes, but it was followed directly by Brett on remote (read: Brett had no part indirect or otherwise in CJ's "announcement") commenting about a golf cart trip from Kansas to Pebble Beach and fishing stories. Of course the crack PR Dept. had this billed as "with George Brett".

If the PR job was to get people to listen then job done. If the PR job was also to annoy loyalists to the point of ignoring every e-mail received in the future then also job done. Seems a rather large price to pay for such a little announcement that anyone with interest receiving an e-mail had already planned on attending.

Yet another amateur screw-up from the PR group that seem incapable of learning anything from the Chiefs office. (if there is indeed anything to learn)

This whole thing just disgusts me. No wonder MLS is looked upon as a waste of time. They frame themselves as that within media outlets.

I'm calling it right now, if less than 30k show up, CJ is gone. Good chance that if this giveaway just amounts to a one-time thing with no repeat biz, CJ will be gone as well.

CJ has set up his own fate and it is now immediate results or attendance. HSG will be satisfied with either. The absence of both will send him packing. The good side of this is that these messages will be communicated downhill and a renewed effort should be expected from our guys in blue (they had better wear blue) Saturday.

9. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Someone should be fired.

Grrrrrr... Watch this space for a better response to this later.

10. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Re: Someone should be fired.

Personally, I think you're reading WAY too much into this. So he forgot to mention he was the GM. They probably told him right before he went on that he had 25 seconds to get it all in. So maybe his mind was racing. Who knows.
    I personally dont see CJ leaving as long as season ticket sales and overall attendance is on the rise.

11. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Someone should be fired.

Dave hit the nail right on the head. The PR staff should have made sure that the bit was going to be worthwhile before sending Curt to do it. Otherwise it just continues to reinforce the third-class status of the Wizards. That is inexcusable.

What makes it more inexcusable is that there are better options out there for a PR Department. At the least, Justin and Staci should be learning something from the Chiefs' PR folks. The fact that they haven't leads me to believe that Curt made a big hiring mistake two years ago in promoting from within instead of hiring from outside. (disclaimer: I was interviewed for the position)

12. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So has anyone emailed the Wizards and told them what a great interview that was on 810 and how they loved the call in for questions?

13. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Re: Re: Someone should be fired.

WizardsCharter reading way too into something??? :eek:

:p

14. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Cursing the darkness is more therapeutic than lighting a match.

7 or 8 calls from Wizard fans asking for more info is impossible to coordinate.