Wizards Catch All Thread v2008.04 [NSR]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by wadejackson1, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think the 500 is bad? What about F1? The can only see a small fraction of the race. They must be really dumb. :rolleyes:

PS I've always wanted to see an F1 race, and I was seriously p!ssed off that the USGP was canceled this year. I was a hair's breadth from booking my flight to Indy for the last one that ended with the tire debacle and only 6 cars actually being able to start.

She has always had those things. Now she has the experience. Add to that the fact that she seems to be responding to her new team, and she could be one of the most dangerous drivers on the circuit for years. I can see open wheel racing making a little comeback now that IRL seems to be back on the right path. Her story line could be a compelling reason for females to follow IRL. Which if it were to happen, makes the Indy 500 an event really worth attending. Now if only they could make the cars as good as F1.

2. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't actually been yet but I've heard it's not that great. If you're in the the infield you can't really see from what I've been told and most people I know have to leave at like 5 in the morning to get a good spot, which means sitting around until 1 when the race actually starts. All the other stuff that goes on at the track all week long is more fun like carb day and all that from what I understand. Basically it's a long day of getting sun burnt and drinking beers and not really being able to see the race, which I can do at home without paying for a ticket.

Detroit has looked really good and the Penguins haven't shown up yet, hopefully they play better at home so that the series is actually entertaining. I have a few friends that are Detroit fans so I'm cheering for them but I'd like to see more competitive games at least.

3. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [youtube]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/muP9eH2p2PI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/muP9eH2p2PI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Weezer's new video. It's pretty funny.

4. Icculus

Icculus Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Steamboat Springs
    Looks like http://kcsoccerstore.com is finally up and running. Not sure why they are selling Becksie Wall Clocks and Decals?

5. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder why I haven't gotten an e-mail....I signed up when they first advertised this. Supposed to get a discount on the first order. :confused:

6. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Rice Owls got swept out of the C-USA Tournament, but we have had Texas' number so far. First we have to get past that pesky Sam Houston State. Hoot 'em Owls!

Anything can happen in Omaha, let alone the on the road to Omaha(yes, now a cheesy chliche, but I still love it:D). That being said LSU is going to be at the 'Blatt. After that a lot is up for grabs. I'm going with Miami, Ga Tech, Fullerton, I'm hoping for Buster Posey and the 'Noles to survive their position in the bracket, UNC, Rice, and San Diego who everyone's favorite underdog at this years series.

I love this time of the year so much more than March. Get an account with cstv online and most of the regionals and super regionals are online for free. Many more games in a shorter timespan makes things pretty crazy and exciting and, like I said, (cliche warning)anything can happen.

7. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Wow. That is one of the best music videos I have seen in a long long long long long long long time. That's freaking amazing. Never been a big fan of Weezer, but mad props to them for this one. That was incredible.

8. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good stuff. I already got a few hundred dollars in stuff picked out.

If they can make some extra money selling Beckham stuff, why not?

9. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, after this last weekend, I now have the title of "Dr." :D

Just thought I'd share.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats Doctor. :D

11. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO

Congratulations.

12. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    1) That isn't entirely true, several tracks have been designed or redisigned to accomodate close to full track viewing for fans. Golf courses as also shading towards "arena" seating. To racing, the euro tracks with abundant undulation tend to be the biggest offenders. 2) I didn't use the word "stupid". You can stop putting words in my mouth any time.

Go to Canada, better track for fans by far and a much more beautiful city.

Sure, give every team a billion dollars and unlimited time, and it can be done.

Congratulations. Outstanding. That's many hours of good work to guarantee many hours of good work for the rest of your days.

Not to belittle the fine accomplishment in any way, but when that title is mentioned by people who should be proud to have earned it, I'm occasionally reminded of two comedic events in regards to this. One is an unkind cautionary joke and the other is a sceen from (I think) a Leslie Neilson movie.

The joke goes: Q: What do they call the person who graduated last in his class in med school? A: Doctor

The sceen is the one where several Doctors are meeting and shaking hands individually and the conversation is a lenghty "Doctor, doctor, doctor, doctor, doctor, doctor...."

NHL: Detriot 7 Pittsbugh Nil. Ouch.

NBA: Kobe can do whatever he wants most any time he wants. Spurs fail to hit several of a number of big shots tonight, including one at the buzzer to win it. Horrible non-call at the end favoring LA...big shock.

Poker: WSOP starts Friday at the Rio Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada with Event #1 of 57. The events are in a variety of games and variety of formats. Most events are contested over 3 days.

Full Schedule here: http://www.pokernews.com/2008-wsop-schedule/

One interesting variation in this year’s Final Event is to delay the Final table for 117 days.

The idea was crafted with ESPN and marketing in mind. The expected field will play over 7 playing days down to the nine players. Those players will then all be paid 9th place money or about $600K. Play will then cease until November 9th. At that time players will return all expenses paid for what should be a very well hyped Final Table televised “nearly live” by ESPN. It will be delayed slightly only so that security and information of play at the Final Table is less subject to exploitation by friends of those players contesting the Final Table.

Main Event $10K NL Hold Em Schedule:
    July 3-6: Days 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d of WSOP Main Event
    July 7: *Off Day*
    July 8-9: Days 2a, 2b
    July 10-14: Days 3-7 (down to final nine players)
    July 22 - Aug. 26: ESPN airs WSOP prelim events for six weeks
    Sep 2 - Oct 28: ESPN airs WSOP Main Event for nine weeks
    Nov. 4: ESPN airs a one-hour final table preview show
    Nov. 9: Final Table is played, nine players down to final two
    Nov. 10: Heads-up play (Final 2) for the WSOP Championship
    Nov. 11: ESPN broadcasts the final table at 9:00 pm ET

This was done primarily to fight flagging ratings for televised poker obviously. One interesting thing about the delay is how it might affect the players. Not only might styles change organically, but with millions of dollars at stake, it probably isn’t a stretch that sums will be paid to more famous players and other teachers for “instruction”. If it goes like that we should see much more interesting storylines than a pro or two and 7 strangers. These 9 people will probably be of the same Fame levels as Idol Finalists and Survivor winners, etc. Pretty smart by Rio and ESPN. Whatever happens, no doubt ESPN will be on top of it.

13. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Spies Like Us" starring Aykroyd and Chase. I love that scene.

14. Abracadabra

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love just about every scene in that movie. The foreign service exam has to take the cake though.

15. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    best part is when bob hope plays through

16. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the ninja scene was by far the funniest.

17. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're American's!

[​IMG]

For every minute you don't tell us why you're here, I cut off a finger.
    Mine or yours?

Want some coffee?

You've got a tent?

18. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Congrats!

19. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best part of "Spys Like Us" is the stellar performace turned in by Donna Dixon. How she missed out on a Best Actress Oscar that year is beyond comprehension!

20. Abracadabra

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Why am I here? Why are you here? Why are any of us here? And wasn't it Camus who said-

Ow!

...And let that be a lesson to you!"

21. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well done royals! 10 in a row! ...and finding new ways to do it every night. 5 run lead going into the ninth, with greinke having pitched 8 innings and only giving up 3 runs. i'd be absolutely livid if i was greinke. he finally got some run support and the bullpen absolutely blows it for him.

there really can't be a harder team to support than the royals. the only thing they're good at is being bad.

22. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I go into my indoor game thinking the Royals have finally broken the streak. I come out to that joke of a choke job???? And I didn't even see it, just came in on the post game show and my jaw dropped. Unbelievable!!!

23. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a lighter (and tangentially related) note, I ran into Eloy Columbano and Ivan Trujillo at Wal-Mart tonight. It was about 11:15 and I was getting ready to check out as they were starting their shopping trip.

Only in Kansas City.. :)

24. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and jose guillen gives a classic tirade to reporters after the game. i mean, it's a quality one... really hilarious. there seriously must've been 50-75 bleeps in there.

25. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Good Morning

Were they shopping for an offense or a defense?!?

Sorry...I'm a little bitter, I have not seen a home team win in a while.

Blue Rocks: Re-donk-ulous loss last night at the K. Guillen went off post-game on his teammates saying, "There are too many babies in here.", among many other harsh and accurate things. He also said Mgr. Trey Hillman couldn't be any better and Things WILL CHANGE as he'll make sure of it.

Not a big fan of the lockerroom blow up or tossing your fellow travelers under the bus. That said, it's well past time for someone to blow. I might have much sooner than that, but not through the media. Errors, mentally checking out at the plate, pen issues, running mistakes, no clutch anything, blowing leads, etc. If one thing is great then another sucks. KC deserves every bit of the 10-game collar. So, did hope officially die around Loss #7 or later? 8.5 out.

NO-body beats us 11 straight times! NO-body!!!

:rolleyes:

Lord Stanley: The home white-out woke up the Pens. About time to have two teams on the ice. 3-2 Pens in the game, 2-1 Detroit in the Series. Detroit won the last half of the game however. There was very high level hockey last night. Other than certain star Pens bowing out of fight offers last night when up 2-0 in the game, I have zero complaints. I imagine the Hockey gods frown on such behavior...

USA MNT: No Donovan, no chance. 2-0 Brits. Think maybe, the men wearing the cross want to be part of Euro '08?

Hope Solo: Saw 2 minutes of her on BDSS on FSN. Not much to say of note other than she feels good. If she wouldn't say it, I will. Greg Ryan should have been fired sooner.

Golf: Tiger sighting to the media. His big revelation was that rehab was boring. No kidding? Welcome to the world of us mere mortals.

Poker: Gary Wise, best bracelet winners of All-Time offering.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/poke...e_gary&id=3415422&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab6pos2

In a small field, give me a live Chip Reece, an interested Phil Ivey, and a live and sober Stu Unger, and you can have the rest of the field. In a big field, Hellmuth and a pair of earplugs will do.

NBA: 'Sheed being 'Sheed. Big blow up regarding the hacking last night, many bleeps. He's right, but he should probably expect a fine, er, jack, of his paycheck.

Spurs have NEVER come back from 3-1 down in a series. Celtics are 29-0 (not a misprint) when up in a series 3-2. Lakers v Celtics is on the way.

Also passed yesterday, fines for "flopping". I think this is a good idea in theory, but will never be implimented properly. It can't be. Block/Charge is one the single hardest things of officiate in all of sport. This isn't like yellows in soccer for dives, not at all. In addition to elbows flying and contact being an organic part of the game from rec gyms on up, taking the charge has always been a legitimate tactic in modern basketball. You're supposed to do it. Vlade Divac - "The Flopfather" - irritated all by his ability to begin to flop before contact was made. It forced teams to change how they could attack teams of which he was part.

Plus, you're highly penalized in the NBA for flopping when it fails to work or isn't called as a foul. Not only do you generally get hit by a large muscular man moving much faster than you (think physics, mass times velocity) and then you hit the hardwood, but even the slowest teams can run a break and/or find an open man. There's a reason other sports call 5 on 4 a power play. We'll see what happens, but this has high negative potential.

What's next, fines for tatoos? If me, I'd rather see fines for the cheap and dangerous crap Bruce Bowen does or for taking poor 20 ft. well defended jump shots at the end of periods/shot clocks. Fine that. That's the real blight on the game. I think the "pussification" of our country and our sports needs to be stemed somehow. You should be able to pummel the QB, there should be "self-policing" in hockey, there should be flops in hoops, and the shortstop should have to eat spikes occasionally. It isn't like they're not paid well...

Ugh, this is worse than legislating fights out of hockey.

NCAA to Omaha: Tigers at Noon, Huskers at 1:05p Friday.

All right, I have to ask. What is the flippin' deal with every Texas area school that can print a U on a T-shirt having the overplayed hand signals and "Blank 'Em" slogans?!?

Hook 'Em, Hoot 'Em, Gig 'Em, Ag 'Em, Thumb Wrastle 'Em, Shoot 'Em, Woo 'Em, Bear 'Em, Hortie 'Em, Sodomize 'Em, BBQ 'Em, Road-kill Chili 'Em, etc...

Texas...if their politicians left as well, I'd vote for their susession.
    :)

Today's googleable: How many different legitimate answers today are there to the question, what is our solar system's farthest planet away from the sun?