Wizards Catch All Thread v2008.04 [NSR]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by wadejackson1, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I loved the all out play in the OT periods.

Both of those calls were actually interference. How do you say they were terrible and then say "how do you make that call in ot"? When you make the "how do you..." comment it seems you concede it was interference but that because it's OT the ref shouldn't make the call because it might determine the outcome of the game. The ref should call the game the same way the first 3 periods were called. If there's a foul/penalty then call it, he shouldn't not call it based on where the game is at.

(tangent)And on that note the playoffs and regular season should be called the same way - I only say that because I know in years past the playoffs were called very very differently from the regular season which turned off a lot of people (I only watched a few hockey games this year).

2. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Same with Wal-Mart...if they ever have anything at all, that is.

Maybe. Overstock happens and it must go somewhere.

Regardless this would absolutely eat at me like an acidic toxin if I'm in a tie at the KCW FO. I'll be the first to admit I don't know the exact lay of the land, the cash flows, or the internal agreements. People want a Becks' over any Wizard's, fine, OK.

Still, if I had to make my own channels, let AEG know what I'm going to say, and then say it, I would absolutely spend an hour or more of everyone's time at a next owners' meeting letting everyone know our organizations' firm feeling top to bottom about how and why if there is any other MLS players' jersey hanging anywhere in the 816/913 there had better be a Conrad, a Hartman, and a Lopez jersey hanging right next to it at least a 5:1 ratio...and we're not leaving until this issue has a foundational solution for that problem. We care and respect that AEG owns Sprint, but it isn't AEG's league and it is our city, period...all due respect. I'd look directly at a Leiwicky (sp?) when I said it...if he bothered to be in the room that is. I'd guess there are other ownership groups who may have a similar thought or two.

You use proper lingo and be respectful, but the message needs to be the above. Operations management, purchasing math, etc. All that has been solved long long ago. This crap really shouldn't happen at all. As is, it's a blight on the league that the situation is the rule and not just an annoying exception. This isn't new. 1997: Every Eastern Jackson County K-Mart has Fire gear with not a Wizards' anything to be found. Nobody else had anything.

If it's oversight, Adidas, communication, internal, whatever. Solve it.

Best case scenario is that the current logo is recognized as the lesser entity it is and will remain and it's being re-worked. When solved some of these issue will disappear. Let's hope so.

NHL: Great Stanley Cup match last night. I was happy for Pittsburg as I was fighting through the tiredness. I'm more happy there is a Game 6 and a fantastic shot at a Gmae 7 for the Cup. Not much better in all of sport than that.

MISL: Poor deal. Sad. Such a watchable product. It's like screwing up bread...how do you do that?

3. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The second one he was only a foot or two away from the goalie with the puck loses it turns to his side and barely catches the goalie, what was he supposed to do there there's no way he could avoid hitting Fleury. As far as not making the calls I think in OT you let the borderline little calls like that go and let the game flow. Sure you could make a argument that it was interference but it's not like he came flying in and just leveled Fleury. Let the players decide the game not a questionable call.

4. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember the 3 OT playoff game between St. Louis and Detriot several years ago. That was the most intense hockey game I have ever seen.

5. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Blackhawk fan I'm confused by this "playoff hockey" of which you speak.

I seem to have a vague recollection of it from the days of Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Denis Savard, etc. Now, not so much.

6. s0ccerstud86

s0ccerstud86 Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Columbia, Mo
  7. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and that's not going to squelch an additioinal impulse then to....

I'm confused as to your speculation of AEG involvement here. Deeper yet how you think AEG owns Sprint; and then exactly what Sprint or AEG has anything to do with the Adidas (or Walmart) owned store at The Legends shopping center, and the merchandise content they carry. I'm sure MLS has partnerships as a merchandiser with some chains but AEG themselves does not own/operate Walmart, Adidas, (Sprint for whatever reason) and/or MLS. They are down to a 3 in 14/15 vote in the MLS owners room (and that's counting the Houston puppet). HSG still has two votes. Yes MLS has some things to bundle in better but invariably, shops have buyers who buy what they think will sell. Becks sells above the entire league combined period.

To demand (to other billionaire corporations/ in addition to MLS owners) that Wizards jersey's are pre-purchased at a 5 to 1 ratio for the local market is laughable and would merely get you blacklisted by said stores. Most store outlets aren't consignment shops, so they front they money for purchase of all this stock and will be sold out of Becks and left with 80% of their Wizards stock that they would have to eat - or ship to an outlet store.

I have to say, this is one of your finer pieces of work. When do they stop? These posts are borderline trolling from within as they are merely intended to stir the pot - nothing more. This one is based on "I don't know the exact lay of the land, the cash flows, or the internal agreements". So really there is no factual knowledge, then we get the distorted re-assembly of assumptions of things in imaginary meetings delivered in a tone of general applogy for the inadequacies for the real persons involved as if you were now the guy at the table. Like your approach would set it all straight, generally it's just BS all together. News, you are not, nor have you ever been a member of the club's FO so quit with the imaginary posts as if you were. It's so tired.

Many of us care deeply for this club and believe they do all they can do within their power. There is no degree, or class, or proven business plan for this sort of thing (just ask HSG) so do you think you can cut them some slack on some things for a change? And trust that they truely are not a floundering organization that is also out to do you one over in certain areas if they get the slightest chance. It's really so over the top now that it's absurd.

8. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    :D I had to read that sentence a couple of times! :D

I think you hit the nail on the head there. But you better watch it, you just might get yourself some neg rep and reported. Next thing you know, your head will be called for!!! ;)

9. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I do agree with your overall message: It would be nice if Wiz gear were readily available in our area, especially compared to other MLS teams.

But man you're out in left field with some of this stuff. You really think you'd be given an HOUR to talk about jersey distribution in a meeting of the owners? Let's assuem you were exaggerating about the "hour". Still, that room isn't for that topic and every person in that room would immediately stop listening to you or better yet cut you off before you got started. Those things are for middle-management to sort out and if they aren't then they aren't doing their jobs. Then once you said AEG owned Sprint, you'd be laughed out of the room for not knowing what the heck you're talking about. AEG owns the "Sprint Center", not "Sprint".

10. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Ives' column...

<snerk>

12. KCBearcat

KCBearcat New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, Ben, the city owns the Sprint Center... AEG only manages it.

13. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I could be wrong but I think AEG does have a percentage of ownership in the arena.

14. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC AEG put $50 million into the project.

15. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know this might sound really odd from a guy who just got his wrist slapped for flaming the same dude, but I think he threw that in from the above post. If AEG also manages the College Basketball Experience (it's not clear to me if that is part of the popcorn tin or not), it stands to reason they would be pimpin' their own swag, not OG's. Er, as it were. I'm not sure there's anything that can be done about that, or should be done about that. Maybe OG should buy a sporting goods store in a Latino neighborhood near HSG and sell Claudio Lopez shirts there. Sounds like fair trade to me. ;)

16. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so who pissed off Mother Nature recently? In the past 48 hours, I have gotten about 6 inches of rain in Gardner. My lawn looks spectacular, but ENOUGH already! 'Course in July and August, we will all likely be doing a rain dance as part of every tailgate.....:D

19. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to put it in perspective:

and that number is way off the estimated million or so that Real Madrid sold in his first 6 months there.

Lopez would probably draw in the high hundreds locally. You could do it but, you'd be denying yourself serious revenue if you didn't carry the Becks in your front window.

20. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was home last summer and visited my nephew in North Wales. He is in his late 20s, in the British army, and he had just gone done with another stint in Iraq. i show up with a Wizards jersey for him. He immediately put it on and went into his local town centre to piss off the "beckham shirt" wearers.

Proud uncle I am. But I should've stole his Hertha Berlin scarf from him, it was cool.

21. Wizardscharter

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Hillarious! As a North Stars' fan, I do remember what that feels like.

I don't know what the exact relationships are and I posted as much. I do know MLS controls their merchandise or should. I Fthey don't, then that's where you start as a league. MLS is supposed to be a single entity. I also know the single most successful sports league in this country and the world functions as one marketing arm. Getting to that point for that league was a huge issue way back when, and Lamar Hunt was a catalyst in that process. This isn't rocket science.

My larger point is that if MLS gear is sold anywhere in the 913/816 there should be KC gear hanging with it, period.

I'm unconcerned if Becks is or isn't more popular at this moment. If it isn't in the present, there will quickly come a day where star X isn't part of the league and the home team will need to be viewed as just that, the home team. Big picture.

If it were me, I'd do what I had to make sure our area was our area and every other team in MLS had the same considerations for the good of the league. It seems to me league policies are in error today and require change for the good of the entire league, not just a few. If all that could be done is voice dispeasure at a league meeting for long enough that people exaust their ability to ignore politely until they don't have to listen anymore, then that's what you do. That was my point with talking for an hour, not some egotistical assumption of ability to do so as others proclaim. Leave it to some to consistently see the worst possible light. There should be other avenues obviously.

:rolleyes:
    You found me out. I only post to stir the pot. I can't help myself. Is there a pot stirrers meeting I can go to in the the area?!? I must recognize my helplessness in this area and turn it over to a higher power...

Jee-bus.

Yet, you know everything. Very good, what is your solution? Go ahead, put yourself out there.

Wrong. Dead ass wrong.

There are many proven models to follow. Every other sports league has one. The NFL and NBA have entire companies representing the sole interests of the players' marketing. NHL might also, I dunno. Also, in the history of models, there was a time where every model that worked wasn't created yet. Cerner knows something about this particular concept and their leaders might be reasonably expected to either come up with one that does work, follow one that has, or come up with something that prevents posters talking about LA Gal gear running solo in the 816.

I get that OnGoal has a few balls in the air, but this one seems pretty important. At worst it's directly connected to ultimate financial goals of acheiving the synergistic positives that exist within a full house of rabid blue-clad fans. This is a harder concept to have come to fruitiion with a pocket of 200 of the rabid fans in a stadium with 200 Becks jerseys interspersed among the whole.

Regardless, If a Becks jerseys are so popular then sell them, just make certain KC jerseys are next to them in KC and Fire jerseys are next to them in CHI, etc. You can get an Ocho Cinco or a Manny Ramirez jersey here in KC. You better believe right next to it will be Chiefs' and Royals' jerseys.

Also, everyone should be behind this particular concept. At some point if the club is making jersey money hand over fist, reasonable ticket prices, full stadia, and other things widely appreciated would seem to be short term consequences of such events. At the very least they would run together for awhile. But, I know, it's easier and more fun to flame me, proclaim everything I post as inflamitory, worthless, and ridiculous, and get the backslaps.

Unbelievable.

22. Wizardscharter

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    To better things: You know the World Series of Poker is currently running in Las Vegas at the Rio Hotel and property. The first event was a Pot limit hold Em World Championship event for a $10,000 buy-in. That was won by Nenad Medic, a local (to Vegas) pro of some note.

Event #2 concluded recently and was taken down by a KC MO local boy, Grant Hinkle. I've no doubt that if you have regularly played No-Limit Hold 'Em in KC you have probably played with him. He outlasted 3991 other competitors including top pros (who also bought in for $1500) over 3 days to take down the $831,462 USD first prize, a nice watch, and a coveted braclet. Way to go, Grant!

23. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

don't drink and drive.

24. thewizrule

thewizrule New Member

Mar 14, 2006
    OP, KS
    as an avid cyclist that picture terrifies me, its a bit like trying to bike down mission road.

25. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Wow, that's ********ed up.