NSR: Wizards Catch All Thread v.09.4

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Craig-o

Craig-o Member

Sep 8, 2005
    Derby, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tony Gonzalez traded away from the Chiefs today. That's a lot of star power and jersey sales lost.

2. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's sad, but Tony G's only got 2-3 more years left, and the Chiefs are at least two years from being anywhere near Super Bowl contention. Might as well look to the future, and let Tony play somewhere that gives him a better chance for postseason glory.

3. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I usually read Costigan's power rankings for entertainment to see how he can rephrase his usual nasty comments he makes about us. Imagine my surprise at where we are located this week.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/9486824/Major-League-Soccer-Power-Rankings#tb

I found this especially entertaining, considering he is at the top of the list of these so-called "experts":
    :rolleyes: What a tool.

Oh, and by the way, update our frickin' logo, would ya?

4. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried to comment, including setting up a userid, but I never could make a comment.

5. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have no problem with what he said. why didn't you post his entire comment on us? the part you left out is quite complementary:
    seriously. they're only like 3 years behind now. how horrible does that logo still look though? man, it gets worse with time.

6. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the local weatherdudes (KMBC or KCTV, I forget which) put up the extended forecast earlier this week, showing the forecast for the Wizards tonight and the Royals over the weekend. Of course they used the rainbow logo.

If our local TV stations can't be bothered to keep up with the times, why should we expect any better from the internets?

7. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the soccer reporters should care about soccer! :cool:

8. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have a problem either, and yes it is complimentary, which is actually the reason why I posted the link. Usually the dipshit has nothing but negative things to say about us and always says he expects us not to make the playoffs, no matter how early in the season it is, which is why I quoted the part I quoted. ;)

9. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gotcha. ...as you were.

10. glenthas

glenthas Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly he's only looked at the results and hasn't seen us play if he's that positive. ;)

11. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    A good thought. The problem with that to me is T-Gon was traded not only for a 2010 pick, but a second rounder at that. ATL isn't picked today to be in a playoff spot so middle second of 2010 is the expected value. That's two seasons of less than - one 100% less than - in exchange for what, a 30% shot at a 4-year contributer and maybe some limited Cap room for one season, maybe two?

To review that's no players this season and a R2 rookie for the 2010 season. The backend is 2011 and beyond if the draft pick sticks OR if the pick can be traded for something else of value today of in the future. In addition if T-Gon's loss dooms KC to 3-4 win territory - a likely event - KC will be saddled with the highest cost and therefore the highest risk picks of the draft.

Today Matt Stafford was signed as Detroit's #1 to a 70M+ incentive contract over 6 years. $40M+ guaranteed. That number was fully $11M over the previous rookie high, rewriting the rookie scale certainly by all accounts at least through to KC's #3 pick and likely high pick in '10. Any high pick severly limits your cap under current structure, although that is slated for change soon. Yes, you may get the franchise HoF QB for the next, but that isn't likely. What you are guaranteed is the cost.

With that, it's hard to see the clear line on how this makes KC better in any way.

Lastly, I feel for the vacuum of bimbettes (pluralized like covey of quail :)). With T-Gon's absence who will be the gent to service them in the basements and backrooms of KC's finer establishments? Ahem...
    Why would you ever be concerned with jersey sales? Never mind.

It's better than the current until recently oversized stain on the jersey.

KC has the unqiue script. What is wrong with using just the K and C in script within a badge of some sort without black (or any other darker than cobalt color) as a base? All KC teams use some form of this. It's what we do. Surely there is a solution here.

NHL: Check OV's goal from Friday. Massive.

Davis Cup: Aussies didn't send their team to India for security concerns. These concerns were not shared by the ITF. Australia forfeit and could be suspended for 2010 play. That suspension punts them - in effect relegation - to having to qualify for the 2011 World Group which awards the Davis Cup.
    Ouch.

12. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    chiefs 1st round pick (3rd overall): tyson jackson, defensive end out of lsu. i'd have rather had the o-lineman out of alabama, but oh well.

13. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    We do need offensive line help but with the switch to the 3-4, I'm guessing they felt this was more urgent. Are you watching the draft? Has Kiper/Berman made you want to throw the TV out the window yet?

14. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm only watching it in about 3-4 minute bursts... then i go do something else for 20 or so minutes. i'm sure i'd feel that way if i was watching it full time, but i can't do that anymore. sportscenter, and just espn in general, is nearly unwatchable when they don't have a live game on.

15. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, but my argument against picking this dude is that, apparently, he's not too good at pass rushing. well, we set new records for pass rushing futility last season and we spend our 1st round pick on someone who is really only good at stopping the run?

i've heard the rumors that we're trying to trade glen dorsey, so maybe pioli has something up his sleeve.

16. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    In that system a defensive lineman's main responsibility is filling up as many of the lanes as they can and being run stoppers first, while the linebackers do a little more pure pass rushing. I've never seen a successful 3-4 here, so I'm skeptical too, but if he's heralded as a great run-stopper it looks like they're going all-in trying to make it work. Dorsey doesn't fit that mold as much. I was wondering where he'd slot in, or if they'd ask him to do something crazy like put on a ton of weight.

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you get Espinzola out of Espinoza?

18. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    Espinaca?

19. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seconded. I like that we got the biggest DE in the draft. I wouldn't have minded an OL, but I'm solid with this pick. In the 3-4, you're LBs get most of the sacks. You're DLs clog the lane. Pioli has had good luck picking DLs in the drat, so Im gonna go with his experience on this one.

We ran a great 3-4 in the early-90s when we had Phillips, Saleamua and Smith on the line, and Thomas, Simien, and who ever else at LB.

20. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    problem with your argument is that we're still using Herm's scouts and I'm sure that Pioli would much rather earn an extra pick for the scouts he hires immediately after this draft than have one measely player for this season...or a player that for some reason doesn't want to be in the city that has embraced him his whole career.

Tony G, a great player that happened to have been a Chief for most of his career, not an all-time great Chief. You have to earn that honor by commiting to being a Chief, not by feeling sorry for yourself for not winning a playoff game.

Here's a hint Tony: Atlanta ain't winnin' any playoff games any sooner than us and you still owe everything to KC.

21. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I the only person that thinks the NFL Draft is the most overrated sports event? People make a huge deal about teams picking all these college players that have never accomplished anything and most of them will turn out to do nothing as a pro. Everyone is always so excited about the first couple of rounds but I read a couple of years ago that more Pro Bowl players come from rounds 4, 5, and 6 than the first three rounds.

22. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? He is the best player this franchise has had in 20 years and you can't understand why he would want to win a playoff game before he retires?

23. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can't agree more

24. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
  25. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i fully disagree with you. he's earned that honor plenty.