Wizard Cup grand final {R}

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by babytiger2001, Mar 8, 2004.

1. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geelong versus St. Kilda, Saturday night (here) at Telstra Dome in Melbourne.

Picking the Cats here, obviously-- seven years without any kind of a grand final appearance and a whopping 41 years without a championship of any kind, Geelong will have to be the sentimental favourites.

But with both clubs riding a wave of younger talent behind their recent revivals towards what they hope is an ultimate glory for the home-and-away season starting at the end of the month, it should be an interesting match this weekend.

Bear in mind, though, that these two clubs will face off at the same venue for their Round 1 meeting on March 27. So will either coach-- Mark Thompson of the Cats or Grant Thomas of the Saints-- want to show off too much?

And what game is really more important, in the big picture-- this one, with a trophy at stake, or the season opener a fortnight later?

I'll update this with news links throughout the week.

Discuss the showdown, y'all...

2. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, oh yeah... GO CATS!! :D

I'm picking Geelong by 27 points here.

3. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do they even show this live anywhere in Australia (specifically in Victoria, and other states)? What sort of TV ratings does it get in the Greater Melbourne area?

4. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The normal television consortium of Nine, Ten and Fox Footy Channel have been showing all the games, live and on tape-delay-- and Fox Footy Channel's been airing replays all week, every week of the competition.

Ten's got the live game this Saturday night, across the nation and not just in Victoria, and the blackouts are generally lifted in Melbourne for Ten's live games (preseason and regular season).

No idea on TV ratings, but I'll try and dig that up.

5. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Yep, Live into Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania. On delay in NSW & Queensland.

I am guessing it will rate well in Melbourne (lets face it - it's footy, 2 Victoria teams and there is nothing else on)

6. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I haven't seen anything in the run-up to the Cup Final on the form of Stephen Milne for the Saints. I've read he's had his struggles but he's a scary player when he's on form. Any ideas where he stands for this weekend?

7. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If what he did against the Bombers is any indication, he's someone Geelong had better keep an eye on, aside from the usual suspects like Gehrig, Riewoldt and others.

Milne had only 11 disposals against Essendon, but managed to kick three goals.

This according to the stats link on St Kilda's official site.

8. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Saints by 40 points

9. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a chance. :p

Geelong may not score a lot of points or kick a lot of goals consistently, but the defence is solid. I'll take the Cats' back six-- even with Cameron Mooney, a converted forward, at centre half back in there-- against anyone else's in the league.

With that defence, we never get blown out. Keeps us in a lot of games, in fact.

To wit, with Matthew Scarlett on Fraser Gehrig, Jarrod Rooke on Milne and Cameron Ling on Nick Riewoldt, I think the matchups suit Geelong pretty well.

10. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Bartel cleared for Wizard final
    Tue 9 March, 2004

Geelong midfielder James Bartel is free to play in the grand final of the Wizard Home Loans Cup after being cleared of a charge of attempting to trip Melbourne’s James McDonald by the AFL Tribunal on Tuesday night.

[​IMG]

Bartel, who was one of the Cats best players in their one-point defeat of the Demons in last Friday night’s semi-final, pleaded not guilty to the report and argued that his movement towards McDonald’s legs in the dying seconds of the game was involuntary.

Click on the below link to view the remainder of the story.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=137283

11. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    I agree with babytiger2001, Geelong's time has come and I really believe we're a big chance to beat the Saints this week. St Kilda is a team Geelong beat more often then not, and hopefully we can continue on with that in the Grand Final and further develop a winning culture around our club.

I think Cameron Ling will once again be given the job of running with Robert Harvey. I'd play Tom Harley on Nick Riewoldt, Matthew Scarlett will take Fraser Gehrig, (I agree) and Cameron Mooney will get Aaron Hamill.

12. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More news links, from Wednesday's assorted media...

Also, the squads for Geelong and St. Kilda will be announced tomorrow and unveiled on tomorrow night's (Thursday night's) season-premiere edition of "The Footy Show" here.

13. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Translated to Pacific Standard Time what time is opening bounce? Is it around 4am Friday? Or 4am Saturday?

14. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even that late, I think.

A 7:45 p.m. Saturday start in Melbourne translates to a 12:45 a.m. Friday opening bounce, I think. In any event, we're 19 hours ahead of the west coast of the USA.

Thursday's news round-up is coming right up...

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Squad news article -- afl.com.au

The highlights have Justin Koschitzke in for St. Kilda at the expense of Nick Stone, while Geelong are forced to make two changes, with injured pair David Loats and Shannon Byrnes sacrificed in lieu of Tim Callan and David Johnson.

The squads:

Geelong: Tom Harley, James Bartel, David Spriggs, Ben Graham, David Haynes, James Kelly, Kane Tenace, Joel Corey, Peter Riccardi, Charlie Gardiner, Tim Callan, Kent Kingsley, Cameron Mooney, Henry Playfair, Matthew McCarthy, Brenton Sanderson, David Johnson, Gary Ablett, Matthew Scarlett, Paul Chambers, Brent Moloney, Jarad Rooke, James Rahilly, Paul Chapman, Darren Milburn, Josh Hunt, Corey Enright, Cameron Ling.

St Kilda: Justin Peckett, Aaron Hamill, Xavier Clarke, Andrew Thompson, Austinn Jones, Heath Black, Lenny Hayes, Fraser Gehrig, Steven Baker, Nick Riewoldt, Brett Voss, Luke Ball, Stephen Powell, Brendon Goddard, Luke Penny, Allan Murray, Matthew Ferguson, Justin Koschitzke, Nick Dal Santo, Jason Blake, Leigh Montagna, Matt Maguire, Trent Knobel, Brent Guerra, Robert Harvey, Troy Schwarze, Brett Moyle, Stephen Milne.

17. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia

Hopefully this is the group of players which will win our first Premiership of any sort since Bob Davis led us to the 1963 day Premiership.

18. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like our chances, especially if we can get our running game going. If we can do that, and combined with our quality in defence, we'll be hard to beat.

However, I'd feel even better about our chances if Chambers and Moloney were able to win their fair share of battles in the ruck. With neither King nor Loats available, that levels things in that matchup area quite a bit.

19. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    * * *I'm William, and this is the news* * *

Friday morning's news round-up...

One day to go, and counting...

20. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    So who's this Kane Tenace and why are they saying all those wonderful things about him?

21. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    isn't this just the pre-season final? why such a big fuss over this game?

22. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When both teams have had a drought in between honours, this game really means something.

St. Kilda have yet to win a premiership since 1966, although the won the preseason competition in '97.

Geelong haven't won anything since winning the 1963 premiership, and we've lost a handful of grand finals since then.

From the perspective of a Geelong fan... a monkey on our backs? No, more like a freakin' gorrilla, mate. :eek:

And oh yeah... GO CATS!! :D

23. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kane Tenace (pronounced ten-ACE) is our top draft pick, and a player who is supposed to combine well with the likes of Gary Ablett Jr. and Cameron Ling, and give our midfield another dimension.

While we have good and tireless outside runners and a quality tagger in Ling, Tenace gives us a threat in the middle, with his pace and ball skills.

In short, the perfect complement to our running game in midfield-- and someone who can actually get the ball inside 50 to our forwards.