With the Earthquakes' season over, which teams/sports are you currently watching? [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: With the Earthquakes' season over, which teams/sports are you currently watching?

It may be difficult for you to spot them anyway, if they're being all Stealthy and stuff. ;)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

2. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: With the Earthquakes' season over, which teams/sports are you currently watching?

Go Ducks!!!

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003

Just to clarify, the "Definitely Not Soccer" part was actually part of the ad campaign. (Just trying to rile up some indignation :) ).

4. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE

Well, I guess the ad campaign targets any morons who think soccer is played with sticks, helmets, shoulder pads and a small ball.

5. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003

Yeah, those morons and also the morons who think that "if one goal is exciting, then 25 goals is 25 times more exciting!"

6. bluejaded

bluejaded New Member

Jan 26, 2004

Hey now, they were merely clarifying. Some of us (like, um, me) play lacrosse, and really, neither sport should be ragging on the other when it comes to trying to boost attendance/interest.

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The San Jose SaberCats also begin play in January. :eek:

As it turns out, they're the only other Bay Area pro sports team thus far (other than the Earthquakes) to win two league championships in this century. :D

-G

8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003

Yeah, that point should be made to the Stealthy front office, who have tried to gain by not so subltly dissing soccer from the ignorant perspective (there are few goals scored therefore it's boring).

And while I'm on the subject of complaining about ads for other sports, the other one that bugs me is the nearly full-page color SaberCats ads with large photos of cheerleaders in various cleavage-baring poses, announcing "SaberKitten" tryouts. It's not that I mind looking at the pictures, but, come on, these are not ads to attract women to tryouts. You don't pay all that advertising money in order to do that. These are basically, "hey come to the SaberCats game and see some hot cheerleaders!" ads. I'd rather they were just up front about it and didn't try to hide their campaign behind the "cheerleader tryout" guise.

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

-G

10. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Report from The Big Game (Stanford at Cal), from espn.com

[result]Cal's one step closer to smelling roses on New Year's Day, with the Golden Bears winning 41-6 over the Cardinal at Memorial Stadium in Berkeley.[/result]

And in the cricket over here, Australia have done more than recover quite well from an fair decent opening innings by New Zealand in the first test of the all-ANZAC series, this weekend in Brisbane.

McGrath the star as Aussies rout Kiwis -- sportal.com.au

Scorecard & report -- Cricket Australia's homepage

Australia won by 156 runs in the test at The Gabba. Second test is next weekend, in Adelaide.

And in the Pura Cup, New South Wales beat Victoria by six runs in the one-day match at Junction Oval in Port Melbourne.

Bradstreet seals NSW win -- sportal.com.au

11. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2-8. :(

-G

13. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And one other angle on the aftermath at The Gabba-- New Zealand were all out for 76 runs in their second innings.

Amid the great performances from the likes of Australia's Michael Clarke, Jason Gillespie, Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath, among others, that was a pretty weak attempt at a comeback by the Black Caps.

Australia complete crushing win -- skysports.com

14. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England

With England destroying South Africa 32-16 in Rugby yesterday (SA scored a try right at the end to make it look closer) and The Wallabys beating Scotland 31-17, all is set for the big grudge match Saturday. Unfortunatly I will have to rely on the BBC's commentary on line to follow the game.

Hartelpool United lost 2-0 at Sheffield Wed to drop to 13th in League 1 (or whatever its called nowadays), but my all time favourite team West Hartlepool Rugby Club beat Sandal 24-23, a result which moves them up one place to 8th League North 2 East. (A long way down in the league system - Premiership, National Div1, National Div2, National Div 3N, North 1, then North 2 East). It wasn't that long ago that the team was in the Premiership. Some rich entrepenaur bought the team, sold the ground,assetts and players at a profit and shut down the club. Only for the fans to pull together and resurect the team. http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s16/st30305.htm

Can the NY Giants stop their slide today? (would be surprised!!)

-Richard

15. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County

49ers are now 1-9. I did yardwork instead of watching the game and I'm happy with that choice.

16. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I tipped against the Niners, and I'm happy with that choice, too. :)

And my weekend NFL tipping's going very well so far-- before I went to take my wife to work, I was ahead in eight out of the ten early games, and I still managed to go 7-3 when all the early games were over.

Not a bad start to the round...

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:(

-G

18. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Should have been at the town watching the coeds too!

:D

Yawner of a match, and the Raiders were blacked out here. Miami-Seattle was a good match.

I want my hockey!

19. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Update: 11-3 so far, I've got Green Bay in ESPN's Sunday night game, and tipping New England on Monday Night Football.

Not a bad week for my tipping. :)

20. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Finished the week at 13-3, following the Monday night contest.

[result]New England 27, Kansas City 19... and Brett Favre's Sunday night magic didn't hurt my overall cause, either.[/result]

Monday night report -- nfl.com

That 13-3 mark is the best I've ever done since the NFL's latest expansion to 32 teams. Should enable me to move up in some of the tipping competitions that I'm in. :)

21. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone

Maybe you should stick to tipping NFL contests and leave the AFL to me?

22. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just when I forgot how badly I did in this season's finals competition. Apart from the mighty Geelong Cats, that is. ;)

The regular home-and-away season was better than decent, though... and reminds me to get something together for a tipping competition for the regulars on BigSoccer's Aussie Rules & Rugby forum for the 2005 season.

Can't wait for the footy to start up again! GO CATS!! :D

23. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have found out why Ducks rhymes with sucks....

I still love my Duckies anyway.

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

With Tuesday's triple-overtime thriller, the Warriors have raised their record 3-8. :)

-G

25. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3-9. :(

-G