Wishy-washy Liberals set to tear Church of England in two.

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by JumpinJackFlash, Jul 7, 2008.

1. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Anika Sorenstam and Michelle Wie? Danica Patrick and the other IRL girls? I say, if their good enough to make the team/field in the sport they play: Fair play.

As for religion, the COE(as is the Catholic Church) is a monarchy. The top of the order makes the decesions, you either live with it, or leave the Church. If the COE is such an important institution to you, then live with it. And don't think the Catholic Church isn't far behind on allowing Woman/Homosexuals to become Bishops. Give it another 20-30 years.

2. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Don't suppose now'd be a good time to ask who the head of the Church of England is?

3. JumpinJackFlash

JumpinJackFlash New Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Soviet Britannia
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    Meh I wouldn't be so sure of that. Catholicism seems to have titled back to a more conservative track with Benedict XVI than it was under John Paul II and the majority of Catholics seem fine with that. Also since the Catholic Church is the largest religious institution in the world and continues to grow at a very pleasing rate it has no incentive to radically disrupt the Church by bending over for secularisation. The Second Vatican Council is the absoute nearest it will come to that IMO, that will be it for the next few centuries.

4. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And what if Benedict's successor is decidely more Libreal? It's going to start with allowing married men to be ordained and go from there. You can pretend that it's not going to happen, but don't be crying on BigSoccer if and when it does.

5. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Repped.

6. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seconded.

7. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    TBH, I sort of agree with JJF. I think that going liberal will hurt the church more than it does help them. It's because of the nature of religion.

Religions claim to preach the truth, but if they start changing policies according to "the latest fashions", people will start to wonder. What has been the truth yesterday suddenly has turned into falsehood. So while "liberal Christians" would have less of a problem identifying with the church, the devout core will be alienated and that's exactly those who keep the whole thing running.

For us rational people, that way of thinking is absurd, because we don't think that we can ever possess the ultimate truth, we're rather in an endless pursuit of the truth, so it's not a problem to change opinions and still be consistent to yourself.

Yet, an institution that was founded on the principle of preaching the truth and has done so for 2000 years (at least according to them) cannot easily change its policies.

8. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Are you really trying to compare a woman attempting to play for a male football team to women trying to be recognized as equals within the chruch they are a member of? Oh and you seem to have forgotten all about homosexuals and as much as you try and deny as you might, there are homosexuals playing the top leagues of the world.

You claimed that amount of members were against it. All you cited was an article from traditionalist who also claimed this. You can claim anything you want but without solid proof it isn't fact.

The finds of the survey must provide some outlook on the social trends in Britain otherwise there would be no point at all in it being carried out. No census is that accurate on issues such as religion, I know that I put COE on the religous choice section last time even though I haven't been to church in nearly 20 years. The only fact that matters is the percentage of the population that regularly attends church as they will be the only ones with a vested interest in any religious issue.

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I like how you consistently defend ahistorical religious bigotry and stupidity as somehow authentically religous, and then dismiss religion as an absurdity you "rational people" don't have to deal with.

Your understanding of religion is what scholar Huston Smith refers to as "3rd grade level." Do some reading.

10. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I don't defend what you call "ahistorical religious bigotry". I'm just looking at it from what is now an outside perspective. Personally, I'm all for liberalizing, but I still do think that this would weaken the churches (not that I have a problem with that).

So from the perspective of the churches, I think that it would be best to remain as conservative as they are.

And I'm not saying that rational people don't have to deal with religion, only that they approach matters from an entirely different direction and are therefore often having problems understanding why religious people act the way they do.

I guess I was not as precise as I should have been. Of course my comment has nothing to do with "true religion", it was merely about the churches and what strategy best serves their interests.
    However, to an extend, it also fits to religions because the more liberal a religion becomes, the weaker it is. In order to have real power, you need a lot of people who speak with one voice - liberalism is the opposite of that by definition.

11. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only "cannot" but "should not" in terms of policy.

I shed a tear for the Church of England since it is being torn from within by a few Anglicans who should have been cast out when their motives were apparent. It remains to be seen whether the Church of England, through their Traditionalists, can make the motives of these progressives clear and end their corrosive influence. Thank God the Catholic Church, through the Vatican, has no time for such perversions of the faith and is strong enough to squelch it when it makes a presence; indeed much of what I am hearing from Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and Pope Benedict XVI is a rollback of former progressivism, to the dumpster on Vatican II reforms, setting the course ahead as one of traditional faith. If we pick up a few faithful along the way from the Church of England so much the better.

12. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Except the dozens of times that the Catholic church has changed policy of course.

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    1) Your "outside" perspective is based on a superficial caricature that is both ahistorical and culturally rather narrow.

2) You offer a "perspective of the churches" after you claim to be "outside." This is where pretty much all of your posts on this issue goes off the rails: you know nothing of "religion," yet you claim this "outside perspective" enables you to know what's best for churches? That doesn't really make a lot of sense.

3) Your assumption that "religion" is monolithic and that all religioius people are all the same is another problem with most of your posts on this topic. See #1 below.

1) Again, your understanding of "churches" and their "interests" is pretty narrow. The laity who differ from the heirarchy, as well as the laity who generally support the heirarchy, as well as the reform minded heirarchy, ALL constitute THE CHURCH. The Church isn't solely defined by those who would have it only adhere to their own limited understanding of "the church" as unchanging. It's a community that is always in flux. That's the real reason why Christianity has been around for 2000 years: its ability to change.

2) Christianity, as you would know if you looked closely at the gospel stories, isn't about "Real power."

Again: Please read something. I recommend Huston Smith's Religions of the World as a place to start.

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thus Spake a Fake.

15. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    The Wikipedia and Google Catholic is at it again, I see. :rolleyes:

16. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would help if you added something to discussion beyond castigation; even if you have to reach beyond my high expectation of your low understanding of the topic at hand. Go ahead; feel free to either support/condemn the progressives tearing apart the Church of England, or do your bit against Christianity, even if you have to drag it in as a thread hijack.

Why not surprise us with your renowned comprehension and inform us the true motive of why alleged faithful within the Church of England would chose to tear the Anglican Church apart over reform the cannot hope to enact?

Nevermind; on second thought, don't bother. That's a reach that's far beyond your grasp.

17. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except, the COE came to be BECAUSE of reformation.

You read a bible lately? Yea, 500 years ago, you would have been stoned.

18. JumpinJackFlash

JumpinJackFlash New Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Soviet Britannia
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    The Church of England came into being because Henry VIII wanted to get a divorce, it was a split due to a political whim of one man, not a genuine theological split. That is why the CoE long asserted its Catholicity, and the reason there are "Anglo-Catholics" in the first place. It is quite a different situation to other strains of Protestantism such as Presbyterianism. The reason for its split was not deeply theological, such developments came over time, namely via Henry's children. But also read about the Oxford Movement, the Anglican assertion of the Branch Theory and works by John Henry Newman. There are different "flavours" within the CoE, half Catholic, half Reformist. In practice, lets not forget that the English Civil War was mostly Anglicans and Roman Catholics on one side, with Puritans supporting extreme Reformation on the other.

19. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, what is the COE's position on Divorce?

20. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Again, I think you don't understand what I was getting at. I'm not trying to make an argument for one belief/interpretation or another. All I'm doing is to look at the strategic options of churches, not at content. In that context, I'm merely looking at churches in their governing function.

While I do believe that I know quite a bit about religion and Christianity in particular (I grew up in a Catholic surrounding), I wouldn't even need that for this kind of assessment.

You say that Christianity isn't about "real power". Well, that might be your interpretation and you're probably right. But as I said, I didn't want to give an interpretation of the gospels. Instead, I just looked at what the churches actually do. The churches have always been major players in worldly politics and while they lost a great deal of influence, they still are powerful interest groups.

Also, Christianity has always been about growing in numbers and gaining influence. That's a part of what they do. And if they want to go on doing it, I'm assessing that going liberal is counter productive.

It might sound good at first because the majority of Christians in Europe probably is liberal. But those are not the ones who keep the wheel spinning. A large part of those probably go to church twice a year and know next to nothing about the Bible. While they believe in their version of the Christian God, they don't need the church. For them the church is merely a social institution, not a spiritual one.

And yes, the churches did adapt to changing times. But when was the last major change in policies? The introduction of celibacy?

21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Okay....

For you, too, Church is merely a social institution, not a spiritual one.

22. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    they wont have divorcees getting married in their churches.

23. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    If women shouldnt be ordained because the Apostles were all men (except maybe for that one the others rubbed out after Jesus died) why arent other distinctions drawn along the lines of Apostle characteristics? Wernt they all Jews? How, than, can non-Jews be ordained? None of them were from England. They all had beards and smelled like fish. Why is the line drawn at penis wielding?

24. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    they may say that on a survey (not withstanding what has already been said about that being a stat from 2001), however the proof of how much they give a shit about christianity is there for all to see in the empty churches. something like 5-7% of the population goes to church, and attendance is dropping fast.

25. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I never said otherwise. I used to be a "liberal Christian" before I started to question my religion.

But maybe it's not even that anymore. Well, I still go to church on Christmas because it still is sort of a social convention. But actually, I only do it for my grandmother who wouldn't understand.