Wireless connection from TV

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Pipiolo, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Need help: how do I set up my HD TV for internet access (to watch Netflix mostly)? I don't want to run a cable to where my computer modem/router is, so how do I set it up wirelessly?

PS: I have DirecTV, not sure if that helps.

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some TVs have the various apps built-in. I'm assuming your's doesn't.

You may want to figure out how to connect a laptop to your TV. Unfortunately, without knowing anything about your TV setup, I'm not sure how much help can be given. There may be a "PC input" or something similar on the side or back of the TV. You would need a cable to get the video/audio from the laptop into the TV.

3. Boundzy

Boundzy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are primarily interested in content consumption - Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, etc. - look at the Roku devices. They are wireless devices that connect to your TV and access content via your internet connection.

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Boxee still around? I talk/mention Roku a lot, but keep forgetting about Boxee.

Edit -- They are, but apparently, they're not "quite" the same thing?

5. Boundzy

Boundzy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have 2 Roku devices, but I've never used the Boxee. I think the Boxee allows you to surf the internet through your TV and stream content from your computer, but it does not have Amazon Instant Video or Hulu Plus.

6. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Thanks guys, yes the tv has many apps built in as well as USB/HDMI ports. Roku sounds interesting and it's only $60 next week with the sales going on, I'll probably go for that.