Winter Break

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by BrianCappellieri, Sep 3, 2002.

1. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    SoccerAge

2. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

well 20 out 20 club chairmen voted against a winter break so i cant see it happening

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The article makes an interesting point that a winter break would actually cause more fixture congestion, by compressing the amount of time before and after the break that teams have to play cup matches. So, as long as there's an F.A. Cup (which will be as long as there's football in England) and as long as there's a League Cup (well...), there won't be a winter break.

4. BazoDee!

BazoDee! New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    B'klyn
    What's cup gotta do with it?

Don't the other leagues have cup competitions too? Spain, Germany, Holland, Italy, etc? How do they incorporate these extra matches (as well as Uefa) into their schedules while maintaining a winter break? Do they have other cup competitions (i.e. Worthington?) Speaking of Worthington, how about making that competition optional to those that actually want to participate in it?

All these leagues have 20 teams in their divisions meaning 38 league matches per season (one home, one away match against the other 19 teams). The only exception to this (that I can think of) is Scotland. I think they only have twelve teams in their top flight. I'm not sure how many matches they play (perhaps 33?).

The 2001-02 Arsenal:
    Third League and Cup Double
    Most consecutive wins: 13
    Most consecutive away wins: 8 (Premiership record)
    Unbeaten away record
    Arsene Wenger: Has the prettiest wife
    Scored in every match: 38 (Premiership record)
    Henry: Most goals: 24, most shots on target
    Pires: Most assists: 15 (Premiership record - and his season ended in March? Sick!)
    Ljungberg: Has Red hair
    Bergkamp: Most God-like goal (vs. Newcastle...ask Dabizas!)
    Lee Dixon: Loyal
    Tony Adams: Legend.

5. Andy

Andy New Member

Dec 23, 1998
    NYC
    Re: What's cup gotta do with it?

Most other leagues have 18 teams at the top level. Thats 4 less matches right there. The only one that I know of that has more is Englad. UEFA has been trying to get the English FA to reduce the number of teams at the top for a few years now. Also, I think that most other countries have only 1 cup competition, not 2(could be wrong about that).

As for making cup competitions optional, United already made it optional a few years ago, but we won't go into that. Besides, most top teams field reserve sides in the League Cup.

6. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Spain have 20 sides also. But obviously, they only have one cup competition and play the cup games in midweek instead of using weekends.

7. Mc_Midas

Mc_Midas New Member

Jul 30, 2002
    -Rotherham!-
    no need for a winter break - the players shouldn't need it and shouldn't ask for it.

8. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There is also the vagueness of the English winter to consider. You could stop for a month in December, and the weather could be fine, only to return to frozen pitches in January.

Other leagues end a lot later than England. The Italian season often runs well into June. The French league starts in July.

Christmas & new year fixtures are often then best attended matches of the season. Now if they were to cut down on the amount of champions league matches it'd be a start.