Winning Trophies [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TxTechGooner, Nov 27, 2010.

1. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    is that why you watch the arsenal?
    I know for me, no.
    we didnt win anything when i started to follow the arsenal, and is not the reason why i support the club now.
    We get slated in the media/tv broadcasts for "not winning a trophy in 5 years". And?? is that like the biggest crime in football?
    i didnt get into this sport because of silverware.
    the silverware is icing on a wonderful cake to me.
    sorry haters, its true.

2. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I haven't seen a trophy since I started, but that hasn't stopped me going over every single year/summer to take it all in. You watch for the beauty, trophies are the gravy.

Talk to Lanesra/Grimster/RedAgave and they'll all note that Arsenal are not historically a winning side and 5 years without a trophy is nothing compared to what some sets of supporters within our club have gone through.

We're an instant gratification culture, so I guess I'm not surprised people throw a shit fit.

3. Arsonists

Arsonists New Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Banks of Plum Creek
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    I am from Chicago. Basketball is my least favorite or the major sports.

4. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    what a strange response.

5. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1985 aside, being a Chicago fan means supporting losers, except for the MJ years of the Bulls. Didn't I hear a rumor that the Blackhawks won something last year? I don't pay much attention to the NHL.

I was born when the Giants were in New York, turned 1 and they were in San Francisco. 52 years later the unimaginable happened. I don't care if any team I root for ever wins another game. And yet, my alma mater is one game away from the unimaginable as well. You never know when your luck will turn.

6. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but Arsenal is charging fans like they are winning trophies. That is where some of the issues come with and others come from the instant gratification mentioned earlier. I'm just frustrated with what appears to me as a focus on staying top 4 rather than winning silverware but silverware isn't why I support Arsenal.

7. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    im pulling for yall.

8. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    The Donalds?

9. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I've been supporting Arsenal for a while but I didn't become obsessed with Arsenal till like 05, So we haven't won anything really since I've been a fan. AND I'm Salvadoran. So my national team sucks most of the time. I honestly don't have a better response but to say I'm here 'cause I love the club with everything in my being. I hate it when they lose and I do want them to win titles but not to be an arrogant prick to other footballing fans but mostly because the organization deserves it. It's a true professional club that stands for principles and the football is one of the most attractive in the world. Like you guys said it's the "icing on the cake" and even though we haven't won anything in 5 years I have so much more beautiful memories than bad ones.

10. Arsonists

Arsonists New Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Banks of Plum Creek
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    no homo?

I guess I could have added some detail. But yes I am more then used to supporting teams that loose. And loose a lot. I even support Northwestern. Thanks for the follow up Imposter.

I want Arsenal to win. Even more I want them to win living within their budget and without a bunch of dicks on the team. I want them to win with players who want to be on the team. I want them to win with jazz hands celebrations.

and thank you for the being positive Phishy. we need it around here.

11. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    i didnt mean this to be a "who's the biggest fan" thread really...

its just annoying i have to read/hear about how arsenal is such a failure due to not winning anything. i love being a fan today as much as ever.
    seriously? on our budget? we dont buy players like the other top 3 or 4.
    how much was chamakh? how much was wilshere? how much was fabianski? how much was song? how much was cesc? how much was nasri? how much was van persie? how much was clichy?
    its a miracle we are where we are. so fun huh?

SORRY FOR BEING SO POSITIVE! :)

12. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I didn't mean it to sound like "I'm such a loyal fan" blah blah. Honestly, though you're absolutely right. People think that Arsenal is a failure but if you truly think about it we are doing more than some teams who spend and spend. We are ALWAYS in the Champions League we always CONTEND titles and decide them to a certain extent. We never spend money yet we continually play some very attractive and powerful football. I will admit that I forget these things when we are losing games but hell we've done quite good for ourselves.

13. impalemeplz

impalemeplz Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I want nothing more than for Arsenal to win the title so i can turn it sideways and stick it in Efan Ekoku's big mouth.

[​IMG]

14. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    he's had such an agenda against the arsenal for years now.
    it gets annoying.

15. Munchlaxatives

Aug 13, 2008
    Houston
    I came for the sexy Frenchmen.

16. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    I admire your honesty,but two of them thought you were faking it

17. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish i could say the same, but i think there is just something missing right now. Maybe it's my own faith. Still, i could never root for any other club, and the vast majority of fans would love to be in our position. Look at the Scummers, they're on cloud nine right now.

18. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    It's not why I watch them, saw us win our first trophy for 18 years in 1970,quickly followed by the double,then nothing untill 79,then again nothing untill 87, which I thought was the norm.

We have no divine right to win anything,although listening to some people you'd think we had,to be honest were batting above our average,while one side of me gets frustrated with the financial stuff, the grown up voice in my head tells me it's for the best:mad:

Supporting The Arsenal is a strange thing,if anythig else in my life had caused me so much upset i'd have ********ed it off,but football's not like that.
    it's about your mates and the highs and lows (win or lose we'll have a booze) the shit days like last week, then the copenhagens,Anfields,Madrid's

So the upshot is trophies are not what it's all about for me it's being part of that big family called The Arsenal!

And lets face it you could support spurs!

19. canadagooner

canadagooner Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What he said

20. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Times 2!

21. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France

22. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I had to admit I thought I was jinxing the team by watching, so I missed the CL game this week.

Didn't work. :)

So I went back to not missing a single second . And we won. :D

23. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    fa cup draw....we get leeds

24. goonermaui

goonermaui Arsenal No Ka 'Oi

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    And 4 thumbs up from me!!!!!......:D

Us v Newcastle [PL]

....got up at 4am wore my 70/71 home shirt and watched live

Us v Spurs

...stayed up all night....wore my 70/71 home shirt, watched live,
    and posted that there was no chance that they would get 3 past us
    after we went up 2-0

Us v Villa

Didn't set the alarm, woke up anyway, (15 minutes into the match),
    wore my dressing gown, didn't log on to the match thread.

Guess I'm gonna look pretty silly, wearing my dressing gown to the pub,
    for the Monday night match against ManUre....but if that's what it takes....

[​IMG]
    I'm sound as a pound baby!!!!

And as for you Mr.Phishmeister....Huge kudos to you....

I was a gnats willy away, from starting exactly the same thread title as this
    .....but didn't have the balls.

I used to have balls...but just like Arsenal,
    ....they're locked away safely in a trophy cabinet!;)

25. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    Ford Prefect: Six pints of bitter, please. And quickly, the world's about to end.
    Barman: Oh yes, sir? Nice weather for it. Going to watch the match this afternoon then?
    Ford: No, no point.
    Barman: What's that, forgone conclusion then you reckon? Arsenal without a chance?
    Ford: No no, it's just that the world's about to end.
    Barman: Oh yes sir, so you said. Lucky escape for Arsenal if it did.
    [​IMG]