Windows Vista Beta (screenshots, slashdot discussion and other thoughts)

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Kryptonite, Jul 28, 2005.

1. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you obviously listened/read. Although I'm sure it all went over your head. :)

2. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Yeah, I couldn't remember the exact year, but I knew it was relatively recent (in language terms).

I first started working with templates when I was on a consulting gig at Manugistics. I was confused at first, but once I got past the learning curve I discovered a very simple fact - templates pretty much rock. :)

Agreed. And badly written OOP is much harder to fix than badly written procedural code.

I'm with you to a certain extent. The first language I ever really worked with professionally was Pascal, which evolved into C, then C++, the back to Object Pascal (in Delphi). For me it was a pretty natural fit to get into C#, which I've been using since the first beta of MS first shipped the beta of Visual Studio .NET. I used to really hate VB until I started using VB.Net, then realized that it's probably because VB.Net is similar to VB in name only.

OOP is obviously not the best solution for every problem, and I'm glad I've got a procedural background as well. I recently had to write a Windows service that could handle DDE messages (both as a client and as a server), but could also interact with an ASP.Net web server.

The DDE libraries in Windows are completely written in C, so I took those low-level libraries and wrapped them in a C++ ActiveX control. Then I created a .Net Windows service in C# and added a reference to the C++ ActiveX control for DDE. I wrote a .Net remoting broadcaster on the web server and a .Net remoting client on the client machines.

Essentially, the way it worked was that the Windows service would receive DDE messages from a telephony application that had caller ID information. That Windows service accepted that message and issued a call to Internet Explorer with a complete URL with the caller ID information embedded in a query string. This launched our web page which used that caller ID information to look up records in the database. If records were found, the callers information was displayed. If not, a new record was displayed.

Finally, the web server itself would call back to the client from the .Net remoting broadcaster with the IP address of the machine that launched the web page in first place.

Pretty complicated, but we had to support existing infrastructure which was all DDE based. Without any procedural background prior to my OO background, I don't think I could've done it.

Who's bored? :)

3. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I think you and the firewall guy should get a room or something. You have a lot in common.

4. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what MFC does, and apparently (correct me if I'm wrong), a lot of the .Net libraries do. BTW - have you ever read/checked out Charles Petzold's "Programming Windows"? That's all the low level C stuff for the Win32 API, and pretty interesting stuff. And once you have your boiler plate code, it's pretty easy to use, and the result is very efficient.

This is also one of the things I like about Linux. Everything is in C, but you can access a lot of it through C++ wrappers, or with higher level scripting langauges.

That's cool stuff.

5. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    So, in the nutshell, if I upgrade from XP to Vista, would it be just for the new bells and whistles? Is there better performance with Vista? Any idea on what Vista will cost? :confused:

6. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently, yes.

Vista will require a faster processor, more memory, and a more exotic video card than XP does.

Probably $200 standard price for full install and $100 for upgrade only, just like XP. However, you'll probably be able to find it from a discounter somewhere, or on eBay, for less.

7. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    It's more or less what the .Net libraries do. I really have dug that deeply into the internals, but at some low level there's a C foundation there running on some sort of Windows API. Back in the day, I had to know how everything worked, to the point of actually digging into the C Windows API libraries to figure out where main() lived and how it was called by WinMain() but I leave that stuff to the ubergeeks nowadays. :)

Actually, I learned to program Windows using Petzold's "Programming Windows 3.0" book. There probably aren't a whole lot of Windows programmers around who know what a message pump is, but I do. Hell, I even had a copy of Petzold's "Programming the OS/2 Presentation Manager" around somewhere too.

;)

That's all flavors of Unix though, not just Linux, right? I've never gotten into Unix programming too much. I know my way around it well enough to be dangerous.

Thanks. It was fun (and frustrating) to write.

8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is that another way of saying it'll be slower with your existing hardware?

9. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That book accelerated my understanding of practical usage of C, with such concepts as pointers (and where/how to use them - beyond an esoteric/theroretical understanding of them), as well as bitwise operators (the Win32 API uses bit fields exensively for it's Windows messages to apps). It's a really good book, and Petzold is a good writer, providing really good examples, explainations, and showing a sense of humor about a potentially dry subject.

Yes, absolutely. Linux is essentially a designed-from-the-ground-up kernel based on the open Unix (Posix) standard. Thus the two environments are very very very similar (although not identical). I probably should have said Linux/Unix. :)

BTW - you should download a copy of Knoppix, a Linux distro that runs live from CD (not touching your hard drive), with spectacular hardware detection. It gives you an easy, trouble free, risk free, zero price (other than the cost of blank CD) way to play around with Linux/Unix, keeping your Windows installation fully intact. Just dowload, burn the ISO, then pop it into your CD drive and reboot, and Joila, instant Linux. When you're done, just reboot, and Knoppix will shut down and automatically pop our the CD, then it boots right back into your Windows. It's pretty cool.

Here is a link:
    http://iso.linuxquestions.org/version.php?version=145#live_cd

10. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Vista will most likely require that you make a major upgrade to your hardware, or simply buy a new top of the line PC for big $$$. That's why Dell has a hard-on for Windows Vista, and doesn't really like Linux (except for servers), since Linux would not require the purchasing of an exotic new PC. Crazy business stuff that I don't really blame Dell or others for, but it sucks for us consumers. Luckily, there are viable alternatives. :)

11. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    excuse excuse excuse... very typical of jeff, the linux lunatic. why can't you say that nobody would buy linux because nobody wants to use it? btw, this is a thread about Windows Vista™, not for you to babble about lanux crap. how ironic to see a Windows thread is infected by the posts from linux zealot... :rolleyes: somebody please quarantine him.

12. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're the one with the Yellow Card and red neg rep symbol next to your name. 'nuff said. :rolleyes: :D

13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If nobody wants to use it, then why are we discussing it?

14. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Save me!

Ms is going to come and buy me out! Hell, even my pillow will be made by Microsoft.

15. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, tons of people are using Linux. MS realizes this, which is why they spend so much time and money trying to trash it and undermine it. But Linux is the little engine that could, and it just keeps chuggin' along, in spite of everything MS throws at it.

Just think, if nobody used Linux, MS wouldn't give a crap and they would ignore it completely. I'm sure that this just irritates noailmtch to no end. I'm sure I do to. :D

16. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    hahaha look at this... bigsoccer's biggest mac fanboy and linux zealot are now joinning force together to stand against the world? (world = microsoft users) :rolleyes:

microsoft wouldn't give a crap if only those cheating mac/linux crybabies keep their mouth shut and stop ****************ting and twisting facts after facts. just look at how this thread started. it was started by a mac fanboy with full of lie, hatred, and jealous. i am usually a very patient man but really these days i'm pissed how you stupid losers try bashing windows while we are playing nice with you maggots. face it nobody gives rats ass about mac or linux and you know it so you can't stop acting a complete loser just like you did in this thread. :mad:

not long ago i saw a very fine looking woman probably between 28-33 come out from a compusa in northbrook, il. oh, if you don't know where it is it' next to highland park where only rich people are allowed to live and do you know what she had on her hand? a retail copy of Microsoft® Office 2003, the best office productivity suite in the world. i believe she's been very successful in her career because she lives in the area where people are highly believed to be using microsoft products to become successful. too bad i don't have a pic but she looked very intelligent with offcie 2003 on her hand. i also have strong feeling that she is using Microsoft Windows® XP w/ SP2 for best security and optimization. but what if she's been using openoffice or any other piece of shits developed only for poor? i think she wouldn't live in a house and be wandering on streets.

17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is this noaihmtch bloke for real? He sounds like lame-brain Linux or Mac lover trying to piss people off and make them hate Microsoft because they're all dickheads.

Hey, noaihmtch dude, if you ARE for real, what op sys do you the machine that's serving up this website is running? I'll bet you a pound it's running Linux.

18. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    He's Premium Hamatachi. As far as I know he's been kicked off BigSoccer at least a half dozen times.

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    NOT HAMATACHI???

Good grief, is he still here? You'd think he'd get bored after a bit, wouldn't you.

20. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Presidents of companies use OSX. My neighbor is the president of a company. Universities and colleges both allow (and endorse) Firefox. Colleges don't care what operating system you use.

Sorry jackass, but your time has run out. Actually, I take that back. You're not a jackass. You're a tool, idiot, moron, jackass, and dumbass. You'd better go eat dinner, then it's time for bed. Isn't tonight a school night? Better be ready when the short bus picks you up at 6:30 AM.

Oh, and do you know how much M$ Office 2003 costs? Yep, you GOTTA be rich to buy that POS (piece of software.)

21. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Northbrook only for the rich huh? Things must have changed alot since I was stationed at Glenview. Of course if you had been paying attention you would have noticed that it was a copy of Office for OSX.

Use what you like and what works for you, but there are some that use FUD any chance they get.

22. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He just saw "Office" and immediately he got a warm, wet, and fuzzy feeling between his legs.

(sorry for the bad image, but it is apparent he has a hardon for MS)