Windows 7

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Motterman, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had it loaded on my laptop for a few weeks now, and it's alot better than Vista. Windows Vista will go the way of Windows ME very shortly....

2. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to point out that it's the full version I'm running and not a release candidate / beta.

The "upgrade" from XP is a pain, but it worked. Hopefully anybody on Vista who can do a true upgrade will have a bit of an easier time.

So far, it's pretty stable and all of the drivers and software I've tried have worked great.

It goes public on October 22nd, but partners and vendors have the full release early.

3. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    is windows 7 hard to install in a laptop with Ubuntu ?

4. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oWWt_L-qeo"]YouTube - Windows 7 Launch Partys[/ame]

5. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Everything was going great until they realized the new guacamole was incompatible with the old tortilla chips.

6. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    BTW, student pricing will mean students can get W7 for $29!

Woooo.

7. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My company has been working with Microsoft in getting ready for these launch parties. We and some other companies send over a few products and the attendees see how easily it connects to Win7's "Device Stage". I guess that video is just a little tutorial but man, that was brutal.

9. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are people actually gonna have launch parties for this?!? I thought that was a joke?

10. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    This video exists merely so smartasses can mess with them:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyas7BrbUFY"]YouTube - It's Party Time![/ame]

11. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait a second. Is that video real? I watched the whole video thinking it was a spoof. But it appears from the comments on youtube it's a genuine MS video. This is so sad.

12. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    It went the way of ME with MS decided to launch it. It was crap from the start.

13. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's some pretty brilliant editing!

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, I feel like a sucker for having installed it on my laptop, even two years after it was launched.

That's mitigated by the fact that I kept XP as a dual-boot.

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vista - Nice graphics, but not much else.

I bet XP is the new 98...the Win OS to keep around because, even if it's old, it actually works. How many people kept Windows 98 well into the time of XP? Wasn't MS going to end support for 98, but then they found out that a huge percentage of people still used it?

16. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'm not an expert on the PC industry or programming by any means but maybe you can help me understand - Microsoft spent how many years developing Vista? And they have a bigger marketing budget than God. Yet they can't make it work, whether it's because of the product itself or the branding. How does that compute?

I guess their PC platform development is significantly less convoluted than their mobile OS roadmap, so that's something.

17. TxDynamo

TxDynamo Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Houston
    Win 7 is just a slightly better(optimized) version of Vista really. Its sad we have to dish out money for a better version of it.

18. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got my new laptop at work. I'm running Ubuntu as my OS (first full-time/daily-use Linux "desktop" machine I've had). I've got Windows 7 running in a VirtualBox; Microsoft Office doesn't work all that well under Wine (tho lots of software does), and I'm currently developing an Access database for a coworker.

I tried to get Windows XP running virtually on my virtual Windows 7 machine, but with no success, unfortunately.

I do see lots of similarities to Vista, but my old laptop was XP, so it's not immediately clear to me what the incremental differences are from Vista. That little math tool is cool as frack, tho.

19. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was a long time Windows user until Vista came along. Instead of getting a new machine with Vista on it, I bought our first Mac for the home and have to say after a year of working on a Mac I cannot go back to the PC.

Windows 7 is now in our QA lab and while I've only been looking over our QA persons shoulder, the UI looks better. It seems that Microsoft has yet again stolen ideas from Mac to improve their own UI.

Regardless I'm not going back to the PC world, and this commercial expresses best the reason why.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiv8FQV4MDM"]YouTube - Get A Mac - Customer Care[/ame]

Apple really knows how to take care of their customers.

20. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The above is a more accurate statement and Apple are one of the worst for stealing ideas. Jobs himself sums it up with 'Good artists copy; great artists steal' being a favourite line of his. Just yesterday Nokia took them to court over infringing mobile phone technology patents.

With that out of the way...

I have been waiting all week to install Windows 7 and now that I have finally found my Office Ultimate 2007 disc I can now go ahead with it. Is there anything I should know about the installation process or is it the same as usual?

21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Genius Bar is only part of it.

I called the 800 number for a question about my iPod. The first voice I could talk to was a very thick Indian accent.

Later on, I called my local Apple Store with a question. What did they want me to do? Call India.

:D

Although, I will give props. After talking to someone at a Genius Bar one time, I did get an answer "We can't help you directly, but the answer exists online" or something like that.

22. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, but don't you find it fishy that the iphone has been a huge success for two years and NOW nokia is upset? not saying they're wrong, just that the timing seems odd.

23. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Not at all. The rest of the industry has agreements with Nokia over these particular patents but Apple, as per usual, refuses to do likewise. Nokia have clearly given up on trying to discuss the issue with Apple.

24. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    huh. oh well, i'm somebody will write a check to somebody else and everybody will go about their business

25. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I've run an instance of the Windows 7 Beta on VMware for a few months now. It's a far better end-user experience than Vista ever gave us. In fact, it's so good that I intend to buy the real thing and finally kiss my good ol' Win XP X64 goodbye. So long old gal, we had a nice run together. :eek: