Wilmar Barrios -news and comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by pepinointer, Aug 23, 2016.

1. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    • Maybe is false......tthat western propaganda that always wants to show how bad is russia....

1158221316589260801 is not a valid tweet id

Doogs and Azucarero repped this.
  2. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    https://deadspin.com/zenit-supporte...a0woH6QdLA9FNQFIrl2sCmWPFN-kfAxosz2zuNksQ_AlY

very disturbing and sad that teams/fans still have a narrow minded view in 2019. Even Roberto Carlos was the victim of racism when he played in Russia.

villus repped this.
  3. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    upload_2019-8-5_9-14-21.png

Stop spreadning bullshit of english media

4. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Of course Zenit is going to respond that way. They have to be politically correct. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

villus repped this.
  5. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    They are dwnyng the exisxtence of the banter.........

Funny that British media where they are so super racist........even everton fans with mina chanting about cocaine...........startrt with this campaign agsint russians

Barriops never have complained about racism or something like this..........

More reliabable an official report and russian fans giving his testimony...............thnat media well known for spread fake news.

Real racism were the attack of this guy in texas............but yeah we have to keep repeating that russia is the worst country in the world.

6. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  7. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    1174019495956008961 is not a valid tweet id

Doogs, jay luis, J-Mezzy and 2 others repped this.
  8. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It seems it was an excellent match...i dont like comparisons........but is curious that in all his career sanchez in europe didnt play champions ......just judging from 2016 to 2018, i think that we lost two years not using barrios ahead of sanchez....sanchez maybe in a tournament was our best choice....but he received privileges of cracks that imho didnt deserve regarding his quality.......

villus and J-Mezzy repped this.
  9. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Barrios should have been starting before the World Cup and should have been starting during the World Cup, the guy was just a better player but wasn't given a chance because Pekerman loved Sanchez.

pepinointer repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    We can't change the past.
    Pekerman trusted La Roca and he had his reasons.
    Especially since he was one of our best players in the air, particularly when it came to winning 50/50 balls jumping over offensive players
    He also trusted him as a backup CB.

The matches Barrios was given a chance in he looked pretty ordinary in comparison.
    Until the Poland match when he started to look like a real starter in my opinion.

Azucarero repped this.
  11. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

there is a collective idea a bit overrated of what Carlos Sanchez did for national team, especially with Pekerman.

Our best macthes in wcq 2014, were with valencia as starter not with sanchez.......

He had a very good world cup in 2014 and that is it.

Then he never was great in wcq 2018.-he made a lot of mistakes.........and our worse matches in copa america 2016 was when he played...especially the midcamp was worse....

Then we all know what happened in wc 2018........2 of our 3 goals received was before horrible mistakes of him.

Barrios received minutes not matches before the world cup...........we have had a better torunament if he would started to play before as starter in world cup

J-Mezzy repped this.
  12. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Even in 2014, Carlitos fell asleep against Brasil and let Thiago Silva in...

13. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    not was more fault of guarin?? but in overall was a good tournament of him of what i remember.......with pinto and bolillo he was beast.........with pekerman for me only was there......and the team always played better without him.

14. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Dunno. He had the back post...

Agree his best phase was with pinto and bolillo.

pepinointer repped this.
  15. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Hindsight is 20/20. I know you can appreciate that the most here :) but I hear what you’re saying :)

Barrios was getting gradual minutes in last cycle and I recall some of the feedback wasn’t the greatest when he did play and it would have been tough to throw Barrios in the fire of a tough WCQ as the primary DM playing 75+ min out of nowhere. Maybe Pekerman could have used him more often in friendlies or started Barrios in home WCQ games. I would have to look back in the depth chart folder to see what games he did feature in last cycle.

I didn’t like how Roca ended his NT career with his 2018 WC performance but there’s always a fine balance and gamble teams can take with sticking to veterans vs throwing the new breed into the fire.

Bottom line - Pekerman went through a bunch of players in the deep midfield last cycle and they mostly panned out hence the eventual Roca-Abel combo coming back full circle.

Same can be said for Duvan and Muriel too - both should have seen more minutes in the prior cycle but didn’t for a multitude of reasons.

I believe Duvan was eventually injured by the time WC came around the corner. But he did have a good presence on the pitch in that Bolivia and Peru matches and Pekerman didn’t really build off that.

But Muriel was on the bench many times and other guys like Gio Moreno and Teo were used in sub appearances over Muriel.

Also can argue that it was pointless to start Uribe in nearly every friendly prior to WC only to see him not play in first WC game and then come off the bench for an injured Abel against Poland.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Sanchez did the little things in games that obviously built trust with the manager.
    Yes , he made mistakes but those mistakes were overlooked in many cases because of all the little things he did.
    And when we got red cards or yellows in the back 4 Sanchez was the one to go back there and help out defensively.
    It would have been nice to have Valencia healthy because he was the ideal player in those roles but he was never healthy.

17. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    More than mistakes...we had better matches without him in both cycles....he was very limited in characteristic and slow....

Regarding the thing that you say about yellow and red i think is more a confussion.

1. He was the player with most red cards in pekerman cycle.

2. since july 2014 to july 2018 we only received 5 red cards. The one of cuadrado, arias and bacca were at the END OF THE MATCH. so isnt true that sanchez helped us in that situations.

3. his red cards were at minute 1 against japan and in minute 60 against chile.......so actually was different, his partners have to covered his absence.

so this affirmation isnt so real: And when we got red cards or yellows in the back 4 Sanchez was the one to go back there and help out defensively.

you cant go back there when you are the only that have been red card in the team during a match.....in 4 years...

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    In the view of Pekerman the positives for Sanchez outweighed the negatives. Especially since he earned the aforementioned trust within his system.

You are not understanding my other point.
    I was referring to the strategy and formation Pekerman used when there were cards to our CBs.
    Sanchez would be the player he most relied on to play CB and he would take the CB with a card out and put in an attacking player.
    He also did this with Valencia in the Chile match.
    There's not too many other players Pekerman trusted to play as a DFM and a CB. I am not sure Barrios was ready for those important responsibilities. He was just getting acclimated as a younger player.

Furnaccio repped this.
  19. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    imho one of the biggest mistakes of pekerman and the reason why was diifcult to repeat the good performances of wcq 2014 in wcq 2018.....

which chile match???

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The Chile match we won 3-1 in Chile.
    Valencia was moved back as a CB as I think Yepes was pulled out for Cuadrado. If I remember correctly.

21. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #346 pepinointer, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    he only played 10 minutes........he entered in minuto 80 when we we were winning 3-1...surely he did a great job......but not as starter.

but for example that was one of the best matches that we have in wcq 2014 and he wasnt there...as he wasnt against urguay in barranquilla....paraguay, bolivia in barranquilla.....the best pair were aguilar and valencia

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Whatever the case may be Pekerman saw Valencia and Sanchez as guys he could put in the back defensive line in weird emergency situations as role players.

Barrios was still getting acclimated into the system as a younger player and Pekerman had no familiarity with him and obviously did not like what he saw in practice. At least did not like what he saw to the point that he did not give him a starting chance.

Furnaccio repped this.
  23. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Actually valencia only played in 2014 cycle.........and with him we played muhc better than with sanchez. as i recalled in last post.

people give credit to sanchez in matches that he didnt played....and colombia was great.

in 2017 he made a lot of mistakes that could end in goal agisnt paraguay and venezuela.....was stubborn just to continue using him and not giving more oporttunities to barrios.......that have to debut as starter in a world cup to cover an emergency,

one of the biggest mistake of pekerman

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #349 HomietheClown, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    I never said Valencia played much in the 2018 cycle so I don't know why you brought that up about him playing in the 2014 cycle.
    I never said Sanchez was better than Valencia so I do not know why you brought that up either.

Sanchez has made mistakes. I have brought that up.

I do not agree it was a mistake of Pekerman. It was what most managers do when they feel like they need to grind out points, They rely on role players they trust and and are more familiar with their system.

Maybe Barrios could have been given more opportunities but when he was given opportunities he looked ordinary to me.

Furnaccio repped this.
  25. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It was a shame that Valencia was not reliable enough to be a true core member of the team.

I remember going to see Brazil vs Colombia live at MetLife Stadium in November 2012 and Pekerman used a backline of Aquivaldo, Edwin, Yepes and Armero with Roca in front and that was basically the coming out party for Cuadrado who scored that night.

As for Barrios, it’s hard to say now in hindsight what should have been or could have been done. Look at Medina for example - he was thrown in the fire during the 2014 cycle in those Chile/Uruguay games and it’s basically taken him a full cycle since then to be a regularly used RB for us.

With his temper that we all know he has, a younger Barrios could have been a walking red card liability if he was given more responsibility and playing time against teams like Brazil/Chile/Uruguay whose sneaky/experienced players would have tried goading him into a headbutt or other dumb action yielding a red card - extreme example but you get the point.

HomietheClown repped this.