Williams here for "2-3 years"

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by suspenders1964, Oct 24, 2003.

1. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    Walt Wheeler

http://www.cybersoccernews.com/mls/crew/031024crew-chiadv.shtml

Mark Williams:

2. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    hudson's a sack of crap

3. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    it seems like williams is telling the press (walt) his plan for this year before he told the coach. i just think that's kinda funny.

maybe he could join a NFL team for the winter?

4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    2-3 years, my ass. That would be one of the worst mistakes the Crew ever made.

Does anyone else find it odd that Busch would have a conversation with Stoichkov, I mean how would one of the classiest guys in MLS wind up in conversation with a steaming pile of dog crap?

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mark Williams:

"...The only thing is just the refereeing. It is a lot different from what you see back in England. They are not consistent here in when they will give a yellow card. Back home it would be a free kick. You have to be a bit more careful in your tackles."

"I am coming to grips with that at the moment. It seems like every time you make a tackle here you get a yellow card automatically."

I seriously don't know how to comment. A total loss for words...

6. Robbiegoal

Robbiegoal Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good, I like Williams.

7. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Man, If you weren't 5 times the size of me I'd knock some sense into ya. :)

8. Robbiegoal

Robbiegoal Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahaha. Of course my feelings on him are subject to change, but he has not done anything for me to dislike him.

I know it was a while ago but I still love that hit he put on Mathis in his first game against NJ. Mathis did not have a shot on goal the rest of the game.

Other then the occaisonal Clark tackle I have always felt our back line were a bit soft and would have never thought to send a message in the begining. I am not 100% sold on the guy yet but I like him.

9. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it's not like he's wrong. The officials are inconsistent.

10. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he's going to be the new coach.

11. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    He's slow enough to coach the Crew.

12. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    5 matches played, 5 yellow cards.

At least the guy is consistent.

13. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Yep. And he's directly responsible for both goals tonight. Imagine had this game really meant something.

14. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    # week contract

If he's here in 3 WEEKS - it would be a waste of Crew resources. D-2 (Stoke City?) here he comes.

15. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foreigners take a while to adjust to different leagues.

MLS is a lot less physical than what he is used to, and the officiating here is much more harsh. You DO get yellow cards when it should be free kicks, and reds when it should be yellow.

I say let him train over the summer, increase his fitness, and let him spend more time with the team. I can't believe so many have written him off so quick.

16. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's already fit, he stated so in Kraut's interview. And fitness has nothing to do with his speed - he couldn't keep up with Stoichcrotch in the first half of a match.

Dooley adjusted pretty quickly.

I think why he has been written off is because he
    • was used by Greg and brought in as a key part of our defense to have an immediate effect, and didn't
    • actually seemed to hurt the Crew in the late season, which added to the many reasons why the Crew did not make the playoffs
    • some people still believe Dunseth was a better choice for the future (I don't)
    • the teeny boppers think he's ugly
    • As part of his adjustment period he still caused a PK in today's game and nearly raped a DC player in the last one
    • I imagine in some strange bizzaro world people hate him because he bangs something better looking that what they are banging, or have to pay to bang, or well - ick...

He'll be back.

But IMHO Williams was brought in to make an immediate difference (failed miserably) and not as a development project (else he would have appeared next season, or after trying out and getting his first suspension, sat for the rest of the season).

17. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Stoke is Divsion 1 and way to good for him trust me. I can only see him in a Division 3 side.

18. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    he's also 35...

19. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For that alone, and the fact that he was brought in to be an immediate leader and impact player, I think he should be gone. Grouchy's right, he's not a development project. What this team needs is to develop for the future, not bring in old has-beens or nerver-weres to patch holes.

20. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    You know, the more I think about it, the more I would've laid into his ass for just flat out suckitude. I don't give a sh1t that he outweights by 30-40 pounds. That slow piece of sh1t couldn't catch me anyway.

21. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I spoke with Williams after the match, he said he's probably going to go on a 3 month loan to Crystal Palace. MLS is still working out the details, so nothing is official yet.

He also mentioned how MLS was more of a style and technique league and the First Division is more of a physical league, and he's getting used to it.

Said something too about needing to get in better shape for next season and that not playing over the summer really hurt him in Columbus, but that he expects going on loan will help a lot.

22. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    First time in history a European has cited MLS style and technique in a favorable manner versus their home country?

From a non-Crew fan perspective, I agree with those who think he should not be brought back. The SI spot and salary cap room could be better spent elsewhere.

23. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, if he has years left on his contract, who in this league would take Williams, his salary, and remaining years on his contract on the gamble he will improve?

Face it, we be stuck wid him.

So, assuming he has at least a year or two left before we can run him out of town

- do you, and if so, how do you build your defense around him?

24. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are two possibilities. I believe the quote saying that he has a three year contract is if and only if MLS takes the options on his contract. He probably has a contract that would guarantee him the last few games of this season and next season. I doubt he's assured of much more.

So, he'll either get fit while on loan and come back. If he's going to start, you got to get Clark out of there... too much age in the CB. Pair him with Akwari and see how it goes during the preseason.

Second option is that he might become a player/assistant coach.

25. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    this is the option they need to use on mais...