William Reyes in negotiations to join Revs?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Che chico!, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Che chico!

Che chico! Member

Dec 21, 2004
    West LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if it's been posted yet but up until now this Honduran International was heavily rumored to be coming to the Galaxy. Looks like that rumor was false and he's actually in negotiations with the Revs. This guy is really good and will be a great acquisition if it all pans out.

Good luck! (oh, and sorry for the babble fish translation, I tried my best to fix it.)

http://translate.google.com/transla...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

San Salvador (AP) - the Honduran forward William Reyes informed Sunday that negotiations are underway for his incorporation into the runners-up of the American MLS, the Revolution.

Reyes, of 29 years, said that he maintains dialogues with representatives of New England and could get join the practices by the beginning of February.

The Honduran explained that everything depends on which "that the proceedings begin there" and that all comes out for me well to join.", commented Reyes to the radio Monumental chain.

The local press had rumored during the week that his negotiation was with the champions of MLS, the Galaxy of Los Angeles, this rumor was denied by the angelino picture.

Reyes, has 124 goals since he arrived at El Salvador in 2000..........

2. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for that information. Definitely sunds like a good player.

3. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Holy crap, he's averaging 25 goals a season?!

4. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    what club does he play for?

5. jw

jw Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yes, (he says, while tapping his fingers on his chin), he could come in quite handy during "MLS Lite" next summer...yes, quite nice.

6. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So did Phillips. Color me unimpressed until he's signed. And Stevie finds him worthy of a spot.

7. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Was Phillips even here long enough to be sure he wasn't good enough at this level? What was he here for, 2 months?

8. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No matter what happens at least it puts to rest the old horse that the Rev brass just play golf during the offseason. ;)

9. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I agree, when I found out about the rumor of him "coming" to LA I thought the same thing.

He could be the new Ruiz, good for the Revs if they get him.

10. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Phillips was good enough for MLS it's just he didn't fit into Steve Nicol's System. He is a Pure attacker on the flank and in a 4-4-2 i think he could have been dangers, but in a 3-5-2 your flank players must also be good defenders as well. So Phillips really didn't fit with the Revs, but given a chance may work out with someone else.

Sounds like he is setting up a trail witch is the best way to go in my opinion. does anyone know if he has seen any time with the Honduran Nats? If not I can't really think he will be an impact player at all.

11. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    I'll save us some time:

-excitement
    -realization that he's an SI and we're the Revs
    -disappointment
    -complaints

Lather, rinse, repeat.

12. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After a little googling, he apparently plays for El Salvador's CD FAS.

13. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    I didn't look too hard but I didn't see him on the 2005 Gold Cup roster. No idea about injuries or other possible extenuating circumstances.

I also don't see him on roster for the 6/2/04 or 3/19/05 friendlies against the US. I did not look up their results leading up to the Hex.

14. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The real issue isn't what he can or has done for his previous Club or Country but how well he can play in MLS. It's been amazing to me how many "Stars" from South of the Border have been flops in MLS, I'm with those who take the "show me" attitude.

Having said that however, I like the fact that the Revs are bringing in for trile a mature player whose been a solid goal scorer over a period of years. We sure need a "third" forward even if we don't lose anyone to the build up to the WC and the big dance itself. I'm hoping he's the real deal and is signed.

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I predict we will fail until we succeed (worked for the sox).

If he brings some *real* quickness and speed, then that is something that is really lacking from our attack. "IF" he were to work out, I wonder if the idea is to move Noonan back to left mid? Generally you look for SI's to be more than role players, so the Revs must be eyeing him for a more significant role than just filling in for players missing for the WC (and personally, I don't think we're going to lose more than 1 or 2, at most).

16. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    [​IMG]

Name: Williams Enrique Reyes Rodríguez
    Hometown: La Ceiba Atlántida, Honduras
    Born: October 30, 1976
    Height: 5"8
    Weight: 150 pounds
    Position: Forward
    Previous clubs in El Salvador: Dragón (2000), FAS (2001-2005), A.D. Isidro Metapán (2005).
    Previous clubs in Honduras: Atlántida, Deportes Savio, Santa Rosa de Copán

Apparently he has a "cannon" of a shot, but otherwise, can't come up with more information.

17. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has this been added to the drinking game yet?

18. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's the entry right after "Cultured left foot" :p

19. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    well I don't know if it's because the pic is against a white background but it looks like he has quite a bit more muscle than you'd think for someone who is listed at 150...I know I wouldn't want to stand in front of one of his shots just based on this.

20. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm making no predictions, but this seems like a sensible avenue to explore. Never mind the WC, we may also have to contend with losing a player overseas. Lose Shalrie (for example), and it's much harder to slot Dempsey into a forward slot if Twellman or Noonan can't play. It doesn't seem like SN fell in love with any of the forwards on the 2005 reserve team...

21. guanaco

guanaco New Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Santa Barbara,Ca USA
    William Reyes, was instrumental in the 3 titles CD FAS obtained in 2001, 2002 and 2003 but,,,,,, after a tearing ligaments in his knee and a long absence from the pitch I am afraid he is no longer the same player. Highly skilled and opportunistic scorer though a bit undersized, excellent ball control, decent passer. Not so sure how his game would blend with revs style. Besides, why is another forward being added to the squad when we have 3 excellent scorers ? (Noonan, Twellman and Dempsey) What we need is help with is at the defensive end and if keeping with the 3-5-2 formation we need wingers IMHO.
    If Reyes regains his game level from before his injury, he would be an excellent addition to any team in MLS but........ then again, "IF"

22. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Explain to me why we need another forward? Unless Noonan is moving to outside half, I don't see a place, other then the bench, for another forward

23. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I wouldn't get so excited people, as chances are this guy's just being brought in for a look-see during off-season training, as was the case with several players last year.

Noting to get too excited about...

24. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    The excitement isn't that it's Reyes or anybody else. The amazing thing is that (maybe) it's information about the Revs during the offseason. Although we do know a bit about where they will spend preseason which is a step ahead of last year I guess.

**More than half of the above is meant in jest. Is there a smiley for that?**

25. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
    Does anybody know if he got a trial or if he is joining?