William Paul Yarbrough the Next USA Goalkeeper

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by USAsoccer1, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Actually, more like "[He] started from the bottom. Now he is here. #respect"

2. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last Year and this year does mean a few...Since Leon entered back into First Division he has been playing Goalie for them...That being said, he is a talent and I am hoping to see him in a US Jersey. I understand it is long shot but it would still be nice.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  3. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay I was reading it like he had rejected the idea of playing for the US.

I understand your point but historically speaking only goes so far. 2018 rolls around and perhaps Howard has retired and Guzan picks up a knock so he can't go. SJ and BH aren't miles ahead of WPY in my book so whatever SJ/BH do (move to Europe) I think WPY has a shot at mimicking.

Bigger point: I don't think we're in a position right now to say we don't need a topflight player, in any league, that obviously has some talent for a tournament five years away. If there's a chance of a better player on the team then I'd love to see it happen.

4. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree with you that having Yarbrough would be nice to our depth, the fact that you pin a lot of hope on Sean Johnson and Bill Hamid means that you don't really know much about our goalkeeping pool. Trust me, we're fine. Off the top of my head: Cody Cropper, Luis Robles, Tally Hall, John Busch, Ethan Horvath, etc. I am sure somebody more knowledgeable can add more.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    For 5 years from now? Our backup keepers in that tournament could even be in the NCAAs right now: Zack Steffen, Tomas Gomez, Alex Bono, etc.

A LOT can happen to the US pool over 5 years. All you need is one guy amongst a group of 25 or so to take "the next step." We don't need all of Johnson, MacMath, Hamid, and company to develop into an elite keeper. We just need one. And it'll be Guzan's cycle anyway.

Five years ago I remember people saying: Howard's all we got! Guzan's toiling on the bench, and all we've got after him is MLS guys and question marks!!!

Well, we're fine now.

We'll be fine in 5 years with or without Yarbrough. So Klinsmann and the USSF should give him a call and gauge his interest. Why the hell not? No harm in that. They were in contact with Cirilo Saucedo after all.....................

To me its a long-shot, though.

6. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I am well aware of the current USMNT goalie situation. (Also Busch will be 42 by 2018.)

My point was that Mexico and US's domestic leagues aren't that far apart in skill, if at all. So Yarby is in the exact position he needs to be in for a run at a 2018 roster, whether with Mexico or US.

7. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Now that is just silly.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Its not silly. Why is it silly?

9. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    There is a significant difference in skill between the two leagues. Every single objective metric points to this.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Thats your opinion. Don't pass it off as a fact.

11. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Yes, just like its just someone's opinion that Spain is better than Croatia.

In the 5 Concacaf Champions Leagues, Liga MX teams have won 5 titles and ended 4 times as runner ups while MLS teams have one runner up finish. Liga Mx teams have won 59% of their games, MLS teams 39% and Honduran teams 35%. Transfermarket puts Liga MX teams' net worth around 500 million euros and MLS teams at around 150 million. Once again, every single objective metric points to the superiority, by a significant margin, of the Liga MX.

But I guess its just an opinion.

Adrian559, Miguel Myers and JohnnyFutbol repped this.
  12. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not convinced on Hamid. Sean Johnson needs more work before he can start in top 4 league.

13. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is an opinion. Question: How many LigaMX goalkeepers have jumped to European leagues? And how many goalkeepers who played in MLS went to Europe?

Overall, LigaMX is better than MLS, and I agree, that is a given. But sorry, MLS has always had better goalkeeping prospects. It is dumb to think otherwise.

MLS is also littered with great international goalkeepers (Ravelli and Campos come to mind) who really couldn't cut it in this league.

As far as Yarbrough is concerned, he's no bigger of a talent than Luis Robles or Sean Johnson or anybody else. I'd still take Rimando as my #3 in a second over him right now. I mean, it would be nice to have him in our pool, but losing him would not be a waste. Goalkeeping in the US is extremely competitive--Remember that Mexico's starting goalkeeper, as of right now, would still be our #3.

14. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Not to @ussoccer97531

The comment I responded to did not have to do with goalkeepers, but with a delusional comparison between leagues.

Anyway, no need to derail this thread, back to William.

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Between him and the kid at Dallas it's gonna be a hoot-and-a-half when El Tri's top two GKs are both Mexican-American. ;)

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    There are a lot of things @soccersubjectively doesn't know a lot about*.

The US GK pool is NOT one off those things.

*I'm assuming. ;)

PS - Jon Busch is pushing 40. I mean, I first saw him play in the Final Four. In 1996.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    And FCD's other young keeper, Jesse Gonzalez, is also a Mexican youth international. He played for their U18s at the Milk Cup this past summer. From everything I've heard he's approaching the "reputation" of Sanchez

I'm confused about Ricard Sanchez' situation. FCD re-signed Chris Seitz, so Sanchez is at best 3rd string again. Seitz got the reserve team games last season, so I don't see why he wouldn't this season too. Since Tigres bought Sanchez' "economic rights," FCD should just loan him out to Tigres. Or sell him for Christ's sake. They'd still have 4 keepers left on the roster (Fernandez, Seitz, Zobeck, Gonzalez), with a host of prospects in the pipeline. BTW, look out for Caleb Underwood at SMU next season........................

Wessoman and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I never said that. I said don't pass it off as a fact that Liga MX is much better than MLS, since its just an opinion. It all boils down to your personal opinion.

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah CCL results speak for them selves, Costa Rica/Honduras top teams are closer to MLS level than MLS teams are to Liga MX levels; they are facts not opinions.

Well it is the opinion of many logic based people.

I mean when a team/league constantly beats another team/league, the "opinion" will be that the first team/league is better than the second.

Until MLS (or any other league in Central America) can break the monopoly of Liga MX in the CCL, it will be fact that Liga MX is the best league in Concacaf, not just opinion, but fact.

20. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it should be noted that the knockout stage of the champions league is when the MLS is starting their season and when Liga MX is ending theirs. So yes I would agree a Liga MX squad that's been playing games and training at their top level for four months is better than an MLS squad coming straight out of off-season.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that can be a nice excuse, and I do not deny that it has something to do with the results.

but please tell me, when where the CCL semifinal played last year, and when did the MLS season start last year?

When people like solid44 says the something about the National teams, I call them out on their bullshit, but in terms of league play, Liga MX has show time and time again to be superior to all other Concacaf leagues, come on dude. This shit is not even questionable.

Wessoman repped this.
  22. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, sorry about that. Since this thread was about a Goakeeper, I read his opinion as being about Goalkeepers. While MLS is much better at developing goalkeeping talent than LigaMX, I agree with you and Ceezmad that it's dumb to think that MLS is a better overall league than Mexico.

I guess the mindset in the US has not changed much since when I was a kid. Back when I was in high school in 1989, when I tried out for the Soccer team in my Los Angeles area school, it seemed that everybody, and I mean everybody, wanted to play Goalkeeper (myself included). The only kids wanting to be forwards or midfielders were the Mexican and Hispanic-American kids, as well as this first-generation kid from Sweden. I don't know what it is, but America has only recently come around to football, but they have always taken their Goalkeepers seriously.

Once again, I am going to reiterate what I've been saying all through the thread. MLS goalkeeping talent is no joke. It's going to be a matter of time before more Yanks go Boaz Myhill and other nations will snatch up dual national keepers from us. Furthermore, since both Mexico and the US have a lot of depth in goal, once again, if Yarbrough really wants to force the issue, he should look into his European ancestry and work that angle if he can.

In any event, to me, Yarbrough, the son of expatriates, will always be a Yank in my eyes. And with that, whether he plays for his home country Mexico, or for the USA, or somewhere else, I hope he gets capped and has a successful career and we all wish him nothing but the best. And considering that so many BSers don't seem to watch Mexican football, following Yarbrough gives us all another reason to tune in.

23. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Semis were on April 2, 3, 9, 10th. MLS started early March, the same time as the quarters. Maybe this is a better question:

How long ago each team ninth previous game was before the first semi?
    LA - October 27th
    Seattle - November 8th
    Santos Laguna / Monterrey - around February 1st

Anyway, this is off-topic. Best of luck to Yarbsy.

24. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    I will be very surprised if this kid has a chance to be the definite number 1 for either team. It is hard enough to break through as a goalkeeper and personally, I think each country has better choices available.

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Who does Mexico have that is better than him around his age?