William Paul Yarbrough the Next USA Goalkeeper

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by USAsoccer1, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Patriotic duty, loyalty to one country over another and what their ¨heart¨ says goes completely out the window in 95% of these decision.

Time and time again, we have seen (all over the world) that dual nationals will do what is best for their career, period.

If a player is good enough to play for both countries, they will usually go with Mexico since this move will have a better projection for their career which includes exposure, endorsements, etc.

If a player believes that he is not guaranteed PT on the team with the best exposure, he will usually pick the team with the least exposure considering that being a starter on that team is better for his career than being on the bench on another.

2. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Learning a lesson right now...He did it to himself. He could have took a strong hold on the position but he wanted to play with fire and he got burned:
    Chandler.jpg

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he is still our best RB (maybe Cherundolo if healthy).

soccersubjectively and USAsoccer1 repped this.
  4. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but every player needs to learn it is honor and privilege for them to play for the US and Chandler just didn't get that.
    American Outlaws.jpg

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is a business, as long as you are good, then play on.

People take this Nationalism too seriously IMO.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He was very good before he even went to college. He might be as good as Philly's starting GK right now. I'm not going to get excited by a player just putting up good stats in college, but Steffen seems to be a really special player. He even played up a cycle with the U-20's.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You have overstayed your welcome. You are bordering on trolling at this point by disagreeing with any perspective that is slanted towards the USMNT.

8. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    The assertion constantly repeated by @Clint Eastwood that Brizuela was included in Mexico's Gold Cup roster because of sudden interest by the US just doesn't line up with the facts. The coaching staff for the Mexican NT was already aware of Brizuela's dual citizenship. Not really sure what your point is since it's not like Brizuela didn't have a trajectory with the Mexican NT at various age levels.

Why did Brizuela then accept a call up by Vucetich after Chepo was fired? Why didn't he decline and file a one time switch?

Was it a coincidence that Jose Torres declined an invitation to play for the US in the 2008 Olympics because there were rumblings of Sven calling him up for the start of World Cup Qualifying? Was it a coincidence that Joe Corona accepted to play for Porter and the US U23s after he was cut from Mexico's Pan American squad and the subsequent amount of press coverage he got after helping Tijuana ascend to the first division?

Is it a coincidence that American soccer culture doesn't have a massive amount of on going press coverage for their league and players and American fans show themselves to be overly gullible to any and all press reports that have regurgitated by various media outlets and subjected to numerous language translations?

sidspaceman repped this.
  9. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said that was solely the reason he was called up. I said the timing of the revelation that he was a US citizen conveniently coincided with the timing of when the Gold Cup selections were taking place. Would he have been included in Mexico's Gold Cup squad regardless? Quite possibly, but revealing he was "considering" other options and would entertain them if he wasn't called up had to put a little bit more pressure on Chepo to select him if he wasn't already going to.

As for accepting a call up from Vucetich, why the hell woudn't he? He was already permanently cap tied to Mexico from the minutes he played at the Gold Cup just a few months earlier.

Spare me the crap about overly gullible US fans especially when I saw droves of Mexican fans expect to see Vela get called in for every subsequent set of qualifiers or friendlies because of a few random "sources" or Tweets from him supporting the team.

10. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    You asked "Why else would it suddenly come out that Brizuela was an American citizen and open to a US callup right before the Gold Cup squads were selected?"

That's verbatim.

The "why else" portion certainly implies what you "never" said.

I already countered that point earlier. If Brizuela had never played for any Mexican NT at any age level, your assertion would make more sense and truth be told, I would certainly agree with it.

But wasn't he "considering" other options just eight weeks back? :confused:

Droves of Mexican fans? Where?

ohhhhh you think BSMX is somehow reflective of Mexican fans in Mexico....

Good for you.

11. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I phrased that question with regards to you shooting down Clint Eastwood's assertion that timing of Brizuela revealing that he was open to a US call up might have helped him get on Mexico's Gold Cup squad. He didn't say (at least I didn't see it) that it was the sole reason that Brizeula was called up, which I would also disagree with.

You said:
    "Why did Brizuela then accept a call up by Vucetich after Chepo was fired? Why didn't he decline and file a one time switch?"

Err, accepting the Gold Cup call up from Chepo and subsequently playing some minutes in the tournament cap tied him to Mexico. Why would he decline a call up from Vucetich who was the coach after Chepo was fired? The only way he could play international soccer was with Mexico at that point. It wasn't possible for him to file a one time switch.

Are BSMX fans not fans of Mexico? Heck, look at any article, Mexican or US based about a possible return to El Tri for Vela and you'll see loads of comments that are optimistic about his return. Sure, it's a bunch of fans on the internet and might not accurately reflect the general sentiment, but that's really all an outsider living in the US has to go on. You seem quite comfortable calling the US soccer fan overly gullible based on what you see on the internet.

12. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Yeah dumb things unlike saying a player that got cap tied 6 months ago disappeared off the face of the earth. :rolleyes:

13. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is not enough neg rep in the world for that mental turd. But I am glad the folks at BSMX still masturbate to my posts. So I'll give you a little more fan service.

Anyways, can we get back on track? My issue is that Yarbrough likely has the ability to play for more than the USA and Mexico considering his ancestry. I agree with the consensus that any moves on his part to play for the USA is just leverage so he can play for Mexico. But from where I see it there is far too much goalkeeping talent in the US pool where such a claim would have any credibility. I mean, it would be nice to have this guy in our player pool but it's no big deal if he chooses Mexico or anybody else. If I was Yarbrough I'd be checking to see if I had any Irish or Scottish ancestry use that for leverage because that would be a more legitimate bargaining tool.

So since BSMX is here, after you are finished and wash your hands, check on this kid's family tree for me will ya? KTHX.

14. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many games has Mexico played since then and how many times has he play in those games? It's OK at this point I know you realize how wrong you are;) USA vs Chepo.jpg

15. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Clint is a good dude and I'm sure he can step in at any time to debate the topic but I've seen him allude to the same thing quite a few times regarding Brizuela.

I may be wrong on this but isn't Brizuela still able to file a one time switch. Given the fact that the fact that he was eligible to represent the US when he played for Mexico in the Gold Cup?

US based articles, maybe. Certainly not Mexican based articles. That's quite a reach on your part.

A quick glance at mediotiempo or record's comment sections disprove your theory. Even the higher standard sites like futbolsapiens are filled with total dislike for Vela.

Even the more rational Mexican fans would be reluctant to have him in the World Cup squad.

The American media and fans, on the other hand, have a more communal approach to the national team and league. If anything, US fans are more prevalent on websites like this which leads to certain pandering by the media.

Look no further than the article published in the spring by Brian Strauss that caused so much commotion in the American soccer community. That's the kind of thing we deal with every day in Mexico and since there is a large Mexican audience here in the states, those articles are translated to English and regurgitated by other media outlets.

Frankly, I'm surprised you would even pretend there wasn't a difference.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I really don't give a rat's ass.

Once again US fans aren't allowed to discuss a topic regarding a Mexican-American without the thread being clogged with Mexico fans trying to stir up the pot. Some are trying to educate us, but most are just being typical douhcebag a-holes.

For some reason moderation on this particular board has gone to hell.

17. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint, way to come strong. I have received yellow cards for saying things along those line....That being said, this thread is about one player that has a lot of talent and is at a world class level "In my opinion." I hope it plays out well for the US.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I hope he chooses the US, only because it is one less player Mexico can choose from.

USAsoccer1 repped this.
  19. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US Men is a tough forum to moderate (even harder than YA, which, paradoxically, is more tightly controlled). A light touch is how we approach things here to allow for fan banter and more free-flowing chat. Knowing when to apply that light touch is not easy and never self-evident, though.

That said, threads about Mexico and/or Mexican-American players are not intended as open invitations for rivalry smack, potshots, or noisy (and noisome) chest-thumping. We have a forum for that, and it's called World Rivalries. If posters persist with rivalry smack in a forum not at all intended for it, then we'll be forced to consider limiting their access.

bungadiri repped this.
  20. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Well, you can put your big boy pants on and clarify why you feel it's a "coincidence" that Brizuela was called up by Luis Fernando Tena and Jose Manuel de Torre to the Gold Cup after American media outlets published numerous reports about his eligibility for the US national team DESPITE the fact that Brizuela already had a trajectory with the Mexican NT.

Or get the mods involved if you're unable to do the above in a thread obviously created to ruffle feathers.

I mean, the OP started off by saying his "sources" told him William was born in Texas when a quick google search would reveal otherwise.

21. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one's forcing you to drop by just to needle US fans in a thread you seem not to care for. Please take this stuff elsewhere; we've asked you to do this many times in the past. Thanks.

22. Unimane

Unimane Member+

Jul 28, 2009
    Nashville
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would we be concerned with the scraps of Mexico at Keeper? If he's not good enough to play for their NT, he's definitely not good enough for us. GK is the one position where we've been consistently and clearly superior for many years over Mexico. He'll either play for Mexico or just isn't good enough for the international game.

23. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing is he is able to play for Mexico but the politics down there might be preventing him to get a fair shot. What a highlight tape of him and you will understand. The kid can ball!

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are right that you may be wrong. The Gold Cup (like any other confederation championship) is a cap-tying event. Brizuela is no longer able to switch national teams. The only time the one time switch comes into play is for *youth* competitions (assuming the player held the other citizenship at the time of the competition).

USAsoccer1 repped this.
  25. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    I think Clint is the one who "doesn't give a rat's ass".

Surely you can read through the thread and point out exactly where I needled any US fan. A PM would be better.

kthanxbye