William Paul Yarbrough the Next USA Goalkeeper

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by USAsoccer1, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    sure if you bunker you would play Omar, but if you want a player who has excelled on the best team in the world with Barcelona, and has pinpoint passing from the back and excellent scoring movement off of set pieces, even taking set pieces, I could go on, then Rafa is the obvious choice. Omar has not done 1/10th of what Rafa has done in his career.

Now if you just want a big presence in the back and nothing much, then go with Omar. lol If he were a forward, first thing that would come to mind for him would be Tronco.

2. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Are you talking about Rafa in his prime? Or slow Rafa who lets frustration get to him and is half the lpayer he once was?

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    ok lets not necessarily say right now, even though he is in Verona and Omar is where? MLS? lol. I haven't seen Rafa at verona much although I heard he has not been playing bad.

Lets say the Rafa from one year ago in the World Cup. The Rafa, who IMO didn't deserve to be called up. Still its the more well rounded option. Like i said Omar is just a big presence.

If you want to talk frustration, what about Cubo meg'in Omar and him getting all frustrated and grabbing Cubos shirt/arm out of frustration. lol

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  4. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I just remember Rafa playing for Leon losing his shit in the libertadores and earning that dumbass red card.

The guy is in his prime, a world class CB with killer service from the backline. But he has only declined in speed, and unless he's around world class players around him, he will get frustrated and that's when the worst side of him comes out.

I rather take a young, strong kid with a lesser technical presence than the headcase that he is NOW. Sure he always was a hot head, but he knew how to somewhat control it. With age hitting him which takes a hit onj his abilities frustration and anger poke its head out more than ever.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a reason I used the word "current."

6. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    still Omar would be riding pine for Mexico and would be in similar situation as Yarbro. Also not sure of Omar's level of Pochoness. it may be through the roof and he may have never even been in Mexico.

7. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chiqui: where are you going with this stuff? It's off topic, given the thread, and it's beginning to seem like you're just here to troll.

Mario Balotelli repped this.
  8. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be shocked if Yarbrough wasn't called in over the guy that played in goal against us on Wednesday. He was awful. His distribution was poor, and he was way slow off his line against Morris on the opener. I'm not sure if that is even the third choice keeper at this point, but to say he would be called in over Yarbrough is just fallacy.

9. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    have you even been following him? your basing this off of one game? Do you even follow yarbro? cuz hes made some mistakes, especially as of late.

Cirilo has been slightly on radar for lower end friendlies, but I would say there are about 3 or 4 GKs ahead of him, not including a Yarbro. I would say they are on same level, Cirilo maybe with more experience.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If you really think your federation doesn't want Rubin and would be able to get him if you wanted him just because you are Mexico, then I don't know what to tell you. You can defend your team and player pool all you want, but thats just being a homer if thats what you are saying.

And this depth difference would seem to be the reverse of what you are stating. The last Gold Cup was the Gold Cup of back ups, and we won the tournament pretty easily while you guys were outclassed by Panama.

11. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comical, because Marquez was not 1/10th the player he was for Mexico that he was for Barcelona. Then again, with Mexico he could not hide in Puyol's shadow.

12. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    all over the USMNT it is admitted that Mex Depth > US Depth. Yarbro is just another example of such. Rubin, I don't even know that name, and why would I? seriously?

I am seriously not trying to be a homer, but I could say the same thing about you guys? REally? Comparing a guy who has really done nothing to Marquez? Then bringing in comments about other stuff like puyol into the mix? Omar is probably a better choice at this time than even Puyol right?

You have a good point on that gold cup. You could also chalk that up to a bad moment the team was going through. shoot, the team barely qualified to the WC, where they did pretty good, were it not for a ficticious penalty and some bad bunkering tactics.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marquez' peak was obviously higher than Gonzo's was and will be. But if Mexico lined up Hugo Sanchez at striker, I hope you wouldn't use his scoring feats from the 80s as evidence that he's better than Jozy or Agudelo or, hell, Chad Barrett.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Here's the thing though, I agree with you that Yarbrough and Alvarado's are not international quality yet. We have quite a few better players at both positions, so I don't think its fair to look at the fact that those two have gotten playing time recently and say those two examples solidify Mexico depth>US Depth. It could be true, but those two examples don't prove it. Klinsmann has shown that cap-tying dual-nationals is important to him (look at Green) and he's also shown in his time that his talent evaluation is very questionable.

And while I wouldn't compare Gonzalez' career to Marquez', that has nothing to do with the players they are now. Marquez is 36 years old, very close to the end of his career and 10 years older than Omar Gonzalez who is seemingly in his prime.

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    thats just silly, Hugo's time was long ago. Rafa still plays and was in a WC just last year.

So Yarbro is about cap tying? now we are going to go down that road of getting to them before Mexico. ah bueno.

Green is another example, similar to that of Yarbro. Despite his recent interview, Mexico was his first choice. Green's first choice was Germany. He wasnt good enough, so his only option was US. Rossi is an example of the opposite scenario.

This goes to the heart of this thread and Yarbro being talked as a US goalkeeper. for all yous trippin about being off topic or trolling. This is a good discussion, quit spamming the thread with your derailments. LOL

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  17. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For not trying, you are doing a swell job. You are comparing present-day Marquez to Gonzalez, which is just silly. I get why Mexican fans seek validation outside direct results, but my guess is you will not find it here.

18. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    mods, you guys want to keep this guy on track? lol

im not discussing results here nor looking for validation.

I don't think its silly. Marquez can do many offensive things right now/presently/currently better than Omar. Omar can do one thing better than Rafa, which is being a big guy in the middle. In the end its probaly a pretty even trade off, but definitley not silly.

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Where did I say you were trolling this thread? That was other people.

And yes, Yarbrough is likely either for cap-tying purposes or Klinsmann being terrible at evaluating talent. Anyone that watches Yarbrough can see the amount of mistakes he makes. I don't know whether or not you watch MLS, but there is no way he'd be a top GK in MLS. We don't "need" Yarbrough for anything and if I was coach, he'd need to improve quite a bit before he was to get more call ups.

I just think you are looking at this whole thing wrong. Yarbrough might have wanted to play for Mexico, Green for Germany, Alvarado for Mexico or whatever. I really have no clue, and these dual-nationals are almost always going to say whatever keeps them in the good graces of a certain federation or country's media depending on the details of the interview. I don't think that really matters though. These players are going to go with whatever country makes the most sense for their career. So with a number of dual-national Mexican-American's, they are talented enough to be on both squads, but a lot of the time we are getting to these players first and calling them up more frequently. Our coaches might "recruit" them in a sense, while your coaches might not think thats necessary.

21. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well put and thats what I am talking about.

Except I don't think its US getting to them first. Its more Mexico not having them on the radar as much as the US and the US wants more depth.

If what you are saying about recruiting or cap tying them is true, that is messed up for Green, Yarbro and any other player, because they are cap tying you even as you say, they don't have skill to even start in MLS, then Jurgen will never call them again. Thats messed up and screwing these guys.

I am pretty convinced, however, that Green negotiated an assurance on that call up to the WC last year if he chose US. He had that kind of leverage.

22. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Guzan is so far and way better than any other prospect (or howard) that we're all looking at understudies here.

23. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're the one who's led us here, Chiqui.

HomietheClown repped this.
  24. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamid didn't make the bench the other night did he? Maybe Klinsmann wanted Yarbrough to get a chance since it was Mexico. I'm not a huge Hamid fan but I'd say he's better than Yarbrough. Both have their flaws.

Sean Johnson looks to be left out.

1. Guzan
    2. Rimando
    3. Hamid/Yarbrough

^for Gold Cup as of right now

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup.

What we're looking for here is depth behind Guzan for the 2018 cycle.

With Tim Howard being 36 and Nick Rimando being 35, its imperative that we start looking at the "next generation."We've got a group of guys in the early-to-mid 20's that we'll start looking at heavily. Some will advance, some will regress. Yarbrough is simply added to that group. Both Hamid and Sean Johnson are in the final year of their MLS contracts, and they're both moving abroad. Folks forget Hamid is still only 24.

And of course the future might be Zack Steffen of Freiburg, who goalkeeping folks think may be the best prospect since Howard. From what I've seen, he's a beeeeeeeeeeast.