Will you subscribe to QPR World?

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Michael K., Jul 23, 2002.

1. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen some talk about the QPR World pay-per-listen thingy both on the business boards here and on the qpr.org boards...haven't yet checked out the deal myself but I'm about to. Anyone already planning on signing up?

2. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    dont have a choice really. Can't get through a Saturday morning w/out commentary. I wont mind the fee if two things happen: 1. The highlights are reliable and decent quality and 2. The club actually gets some money from NTL.

3. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm leaning toward doing it -- mostly for the commentary.

Speaking of the club getting cash, I wonder why they haven't sent me a renewal request for my membership. As a "world member" I payed fifteen pounds. I plan to renew since one of the benefits is being able to buy tickets in The Loft (and just to give a bit of cash to the club).

And thanks to the powers that be for giving our QPR group its own home on BigSoccer.

Mark

4. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    You know how the club get with their summer organization. Or maybe they dont want to shell out for the postage for World renewal forms. I dont see the need for membership - since standing in R Block of Ellerslie is usually more fun than the Loft. But it does feel good to be a proper member though.

5. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, signing up for a membership just feels like you're doing a little for the club, at least. I may just pick up the phone and charge the membership (although the call will end up costing nearly as much! ;) ). I may just wait until my first trip over and go over to Loftus Road the day before the game and sign up.

I've been to five QPR games total, four at Loftus Road. I've been on South Africa Road once, Ellerslie Road once, and in the upper Loft twice. I can't say I have a favorite location yet. I will say that my game in the Ellerslie Road stand (also my first time at Loftus Road Stadium) was pretty cool as I was in Block T on Row B, so I was so close that if Peter Crouch had thrown out his long arms on the way by, I'd have had to duck! Since it was my first time in Loftus Road (and we snagged a 2-0 win over West Brom!), that day provided some pretty special memories.

Mark

6. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta go with the R block.

But as for subscribing to QPR World, as Johnny would say, why yes, yes I will.

7. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New "Free Summer" Deal

FYI, QPR World has a new deal going -- not only do you get a free one-day trial, as they've been doing, but now QPR World is throwing in the summer for free. They don't say exactly how it'll work, but I guess they'd just make your six-month subscription into around eight or your year-long one into around 14 months. Either way, it just sweetens the pot a little if you were considering getting the service.

http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/today/view/breaking_news_detail/0,,10373~388919,00.html

8. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa
    I've never signed up for anything like this in the past. Does the club send you an email everyday with a link to the video and such or do you just sign in to the clubs website and enter a password? I like the idea of supporting the club with our money...do you think it's worth the money. And if it is worth it, which I think it is, how do I explain this to my wife when I told her she needed to stop buying things on ebay???

9. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just go to the site and log in. It's definitely worth the money. In addition to the live commentary for every game, you get video highlights of every game. They have the goals available for every game for the last two years.

In addition to the game stuff, they have interviews, including lots of behind the scenes stuff. Examples: Bircham wearing the new kit talking about the Play-Off Final and next season, Play-Off buildup video from Williams, Play-Off semi secong-leg video from Langley, first shot of the new kit (back in April), post-match news conference by Holloway, Player-of-the-Year dinner comments from Holloway and Gallen, interview with Day and Culkin on returning from injuries and being in competition for the same job, conversation with Gavin Peacock about his time with the R's, etc.

Also, the have a "Great Games" section with several minutes of highlights from ten different past games including things like Man U 1, QPR 4 (1/1/92), a 2-0 cup win over Arsenal in '90, a 5-0 thrashing of Middlesboro in '98, the 6-0 game against Crystal Palace that kept us up in '99, etc.

You have access to the other Nationwide League video as well, with searches by team, player, type of highlight, etc. You get several-times-a-week Division 1, 2, and 3 news highlights. And you can put together a clip reel with your favorites. Basically, you sign up for QPR and you get the whole Football League.

It's an amazing amount of video coverage and you get enough QPR coverage to make them feel like your local team! You've got to have a good connection and computer (as I do at work) or be willing to let files download, rather than stream. You also have to have Windows Medial Player.

Signing up now gets you 14 months for 35 pounds or 8 for 20, so we're talking about a bit over 50 bucks for 14 months. Not bad!

10. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, I just watched a 12 minute, 45 second preview of the Blackpool match and the season. It had interviews with Langley, Prav, Holloway, and someone from Blackpool. You can't beat the price for the quality stuff QPR World gives you. If you're on the fence, I'd certainly recommend it.

Also, they noted that BBC London will be providing the content for the game commentary this season, which means we'll have pre- and post- match shows, etc. Previously, they'd start around kickoff, go away at the half, and wrap up just after the final whistle.

http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/WorldKickOff/0,,10373,00.html

11. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That's cool - although I'll miss Jim Frayling swearing at the ref on mic.

Then again - I only have a couple matches that I need to follow from abroad. From September on I'll be using my season ticket :)

12. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucky SOB! ;)

Of course, I can't complain since I've already got three trips (for four matches) lined up between now and the end of November!

I'm going over for Chesterfield on August 30th, then I'm going to catch both Bristol City and Barnsley on September 27th & 30th, plus I'm going over for Thanksgiving week, so will get to see the Sheffield Wednesday match. With Bristol City and Wednesday, I'll end up at two of the bigger matches of the year!

I knew you were going over for much of the year, but didn't know you'd be there as early as September -- we'll have to grab a few beers before/after one of those Bristol City/Barnsley matches.

13. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Definately - Bush Ranger, White Horse, wherever. I can get you a guest ticket in the Lower Loft if you'd like.

14. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I've renewed my membership again, so can buy Loft tickets (I'm booked into the Lower Loft for Chesterfield, but haven't purchased for Bristol City or Barnsley yet). Have you purchased your season ticket? Know where you're going to be sitting?

FYI, for anyone considering a Membership, they told me they were planning to do a twice-yearly magazine for Members this year, rather than the quarterly little newspaper-type thing. "Worldwide Membership" (for those of us outside the UK) is 15 pounds.

15. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yep - Im in NL block

16. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I joined about a week ago.

I like the highlights - but is there a higher level of membership. It says I am not able to see some stuff and I figured for $50 I'd pretty much get access to everything but the QPR ladies locker room and the accounting books.

17. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's odd. QPR World should get you everything QPR. That's what I signed up for -- it cost 35 pounds and I've not been denied access to anything QPR.

"QPR World Extra" gets you access to all Football League teams' stuff. And "QPR World Matchlive" is more limited -- not sure how much it costs. That says you get Commentary, Matchlive Console, and "Matchlive Events" but not video highlights and video news. Did you accidentally sign up for that?

http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/WorldKickOff/0,,10373,00.html

18. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what I signed up for anymore.

I can see video highlights - which is nice. I need to play around with it more.