Will we see the Chandler-Cameron-Besler-FJ backline?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by aarond23, May 12, 2014.

1. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if we do will it be any good?

These 4 are our most talented defenders on the team, sure Chandler is a head case and Cameron sometimes isn't a good CB, but get all 4 playing well and its at least a defense that has a decent pedigree.

2. FLRef

FLRef Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably our best bet.

3. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    The Chandler inclusion sure makes me think Klinsmann may still be wanting to play Cameron in the center. And it's not like Omar was setting the world on fire even before his injury. Could be interesting back there.

USAsoccer1 repped this.
  4. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the comment Jurgen made about only viewing Donovan as a forward is true I don't see how we can employ this backline, even though that's the one I think with the best chance of succeeding.

If Donovan is a forward only then Fabian Johnson will have to start at LW/LM.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  5. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    The Chandler inclusion makes me believe that Jurgen wants a right back in the camp. Not sure how you can get that since we have Chandler, suddenly Cameron is a centerback again...We are allowed to have multiple players for each spot.

6. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Juergen will certainly take a look at this line up in camp. Cameron will be starting at either right back or center back and it is up to other players to step up and show him their inclusion is the best combination for the team.

7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see this as our backline.

There's also the chance tho that Fabian stays at LW and chandler plays LB

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    the chances of Fab playing full back is approximately 100%, give or take 1%.

onefineesq, CTS26 and comoesa repped this.
  9. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahaha I wouldn't be so sure of that. I hope you're right but I could see Fabian moved higher if needed. If we need to start a defensive look Fabian and chandler at LW and LB is a nice combo.

10. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either way I don't want Chandler at LB.

If Johnson has to play on the left wing, let Parkhurst or perhaps Beasely take his spot at LB.

11. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And why is that? He's unquestionably the best player to play there if Fabian doesn't. He is better than both Parkhurst and Beasley. And while you can say he isnt a LB same can be said of Parkhurst. Chandler got time at LB early on with the USA so the position isn't foreign.

12. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has looked poor at LB for the national team. Parkhurst hasn't. Beasely actually plays left wingback with his club.

13. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My only hope for our backline is teaching our defenders this.

14. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had a couple good games there man it was a while a go but he wasn't that poor there. And played against tougher sides than parkhurst as well but could be wrong on that last point.

15. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Chandler's loyalty can be questioned (maybe) for not taking call-ups, but his skills can't. He is clearly the most cultured of our choices at right back. If he has recovered from injury and is match fit, he is the best selection on the right side, especially if you put Cameron in the center. And he has a month of intense training and 3 matches to get fit.

Fabian is the best left back we've had since Paul Caliguiri (Cal wasn't even a natural left back, but stepped it up when called on in '94. In many ways we have been trying to replace Cal for 2 decades - Agoos, Regis, Agoos, Bornstein, Boca, Bornstein, Fabian, Edgar, Fabian, etc.). Sure Fabian can play left wing, but is he better than Donovan or the alternative at that position? No. I like our left side with those two playing together. Johnson making overlapping runs, Donovan reading the game. We could out German the Germans with such an intelligent and talented left flank.

In the center Besler has been a revelation. He is clearly the first choice. But Gonzo, as much as we all love him and want him to succeed, has been inconsistent. Cameron could be the glue that pulls it all together, the way Boca used to.

The wildcard is Yedlin. Is he ready for prime time the way Frankie was in "98? Remember how Frankie turned that Germany game in Paris on its ear, just by being Frankie?

So, yes. I think our back line should be: Chandler-Cameron-Besler-Johnson. Based on where we've been over the last two years, this is the best selection, provided they can gel over the next 4 weeks.

WrmBrnr and Deeneaus repped this.
  16. Bclay

Bclay Member

May 29, 2012
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why can't we start both Bedoya and Zusi on the wings? Though I don't think Donovan has actually played forward for Klinsmann, despite being listed as a forward multiple times on the roster. I feel pretty confident that if Donovan starts, he'll be on the wing.

17. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Has Chandler played any game except for that hexagonal against Honduras? He looked out of sorts in that match, granted it was his first cap -- either way, I would be nervous.

18. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The sudden change in climate had a factor as well.

As long as he gets acclimatized, it should not be a problem.

19. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We'll get to see him start in at least one of these friendlies I'm more than certain. I would be surprised if we don't see this backline start one of these three games.

20. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Not just Chandler, but we have Chandler, Yedlin, Evans, and Cameron all for the right back spot, with Parkhurst also able to play there and Johnson playing there for his club regularly. That's an awful lot of competition for that spot. And Klinsmann has said several times that he thinks Cameron is better as a center back and now one of our current starting center backs is down with an injury... Of course, it's not a sure thing, but there are plenty of reasons to think Cameron moving back into the middle may well be a possibility.

21. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IF you start both Bedoya and Zusi you simply don't have a legitimate bench option on the wing. Jurgen seems to only view those two as right sided players anyway.

As for Donovan never playing forward under Klinsmann? He played the entire 2013 Gold Cup at forward...

22. Bclay

Bclay Member

May 29, 2012
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot about that. Although he was playing in a 2 forward lineup then, and I don't think anyone expects us to do that in the WC, especially when Dempsey is already playing as a withdrawn forward. Still, doesn't the fact that we have so few wing options indicate Donovan is more likely to be used there? I don't really take Klinsmann's words too seriously, and it just makes more sense to have Donovan available for the wing.

23. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I mean if it were up to me Donovan would be in contention at LW/LM but I'm just going by Jurgen's words. I hope it's just talk as you said because despite LD slowing down a bit he still has the pace and skill to be more helpful to us on the wing, with Dempsey and Johannsson manning the withdrawn role.

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Johnson Besler Cameron and Chandler would be my preferred backline against Ghana. Donovan would be a good pacey bench option on either wing. JK asserting Donovan's position as a striker is a polite way of stating LD won't be a lock starter. The coach did the same thing with Cameron last year stating the player was seen as a centerback.

Zusi frequently switches off with the left mid excelling in that position, so I would not be surprised to see him get the start on the left. I'd also like to see Bedoya get time on the left in the send off series to see what he can do there.

25. FreekickSmurf

FreekickSmurf Member

Aug 11, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A johnson Parkhurst or Parkhurst Chandler fullback combo might be more likely. Having two overlapping wing backs would expose our flanks on both sides pretty bad.