will we see another treble in our lifetime?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by hanul21, Aug 26, 2006.

1. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    haha, i will see a lot and i have a feeling the treble for united will be one.

2. benito camelpene

May 31, 2003
    miami
    So if Barca wins La Liga, Copa del Rey, and the Champions League their treble is not a "real" treble. It is somehow tainted because they didn't beat West Ham or Arsenal in the FA Cup FInal. I'm not here to argue about the prestige of the FA Cup final but the copa del rey is no easy tournament. Imo, the "real treble" doesn't exist solely if a premiership side wins it . A treble is a treble no matter which european team achieves it. It's an amazing achievement.(yeah i know stating the obvious with the last sentence.) Manchester United had an amazing year in 1999. Can any team, premiership or otherwise, achieve it again in our lifetime. Who knows???

3. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're misunderstanding. If you're Real Madrid or Barca, and pushing far into the CL and in a tight league race, how likely are you to send your best players out additionally into the Copa del Rey? It may be a tough competition, but if it just doesn't matter as much to the big clubs, then the stars might not be out there, which would certainly lessen the chances of them winning it.

4. benito camelpene

May 31, 2003
    miami
    I understand your point but couldn't you say the same thing about big teams in the premiership? Speaking hypothetically, if Chelsea and Manchester are involved in a heated premiership race where no team can afford to drop points and Man United have a quarterfinal FA Cup match up with, IDK, Newcastle; I would think that SAF would rest Rooney, ROnaldo, or some other starters for their next premiership match because the league would be of more importance to them at that point. Just as I can see Barca, Madrid or Valencia doing the same thing.

Once again I'm not arguing about the prestige of these respective tournaments but the competition involved. Winning the treble in the premiership or la liga would be a fantastic achievement of equal merit. That's my $ .02.

5. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this day and age, its very possible. The FA Cup has definitely lost a bit of its luster (and yes, we're partially responsible for that, though some would argue that we were pushed into the WCC, but nevermind). But its still considered a pretty huge prize and certainly the biggest full-knockout football competition in the world. It really depends on numerous factors, but I think that we'd still play a full squad or something close to it. Maybe we'd have a few starters on the bench in case we needed them late or something. But like they say, you end up paying if you disrespect the FA Cup.

6. benito camelpene

May 31, 2003
    miami
    I totally agree with you. I just didn't agree with Dark Savante when he said a "real" treble can only be achieved in England. I love to watch the premiership(as I do with other euro leagues) and FA cup matches are things that I look forward to(sadly I haven't been able to watch many since I moved to Switzerland). They are filled with world class football and othertimes grudge matches that won't please the joga bonito types but that doesn't diminish the entertainment and unpredictability of these games. I just don't see the need to diminsh the trebles of other leagues(if and when they do achieve it) by saying the "real" treble of Europe I guess.

7. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Er.. well Barca was 2 games from it last season and should have done it quite frankly.