will we see another treble in our lifetime?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by hanul21, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Uniteder

Uniteder New Member

Nov 27, 2005
    I have a kinky feeling that Man United will get the next one possibly in the next 40 years

2. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    id love too and i imagine i will see another treble

our history is highlighted by and based on great achievements/moments like that so i expect so

3. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  4. CL_2004

CL_2004 New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Toronto
    sorry man u fans.

5. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Don't hold your breath. That's a once in a century feat. It may never ever be repeated.

6. holytoledo

holytoledo New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Good thing we're in a new century.

7. Lancashire Lad

Lancashire Lad New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am not so sure. The gulf between the top and the bottom of the premiership is as wide as ever, if not wider. Doubles are certainly possible and very likely. A Prem, FA and League Cup is a strong possibility, the Rent boys could do it this season - I hope not of course!

The true treble could be done, I dont think within the next few years but who knows.

8. The Guv'nor

The Guv'nor Member

Mar 24, 2006
    :D

I don't see why it can't happen again myself. When we played Bayern weren't they going for a treble as well?

9. Lancashire Lad

Lancashire Lad New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was thinking of English team treble. But dont see why it couldnt happen in an another country.

10. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think our achievement in 1999 was a once in a thousand years kind of thing. We had a strong squad, with established first team members but also guys like Jordi, Soslkjaer, Irwin who came in and out of the side when necessary and without issues. There weren't any major injury blows that season either. I think our treble year was just fate coming together all at the right time...Beckham's brilliant year, Cole/Yorkes partnership blossoming, etc. It would be very very hard to repeat these days, though it could be done.

11. MyHouse!

MyHouse! Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Tallahassee
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think United's depth that year helped out tremendously as well, especially in the FA Cup semi-final replay, where Teddy and Ole started.

12. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    yea barca almost had it last season but they F-ed up against zaragoza in the copa del rey and lost that 18 match win streak

also if bayern did better in the CL they could have had it last 2 years. they didnt have too much trouble doubling the double

13. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, I'm surprised that we didn't see one when Porto won the Champions League. I think that its more likely to see one outside of England. Teams like Lyon and, until this year, Bayern have limited competition domestically so I tip one of those two, if any, to do it.

14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Leverkusen came close a few years ago. Except they finished runner up in all the competitions they were in

15. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Its definitely possible in the other leagues, but its alot tougher in EPL. If anyone team will do it in the near future it will be Barca. Just that, in Spain the Copa del Rey is treated almost as the EPL'S Carling Cup. It is held nowhere near the importance that the FA Cup is here. Don't know how the Bundesliga treat their cup, but that affects it as well.

16. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In one word ... NOPE

17. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Probably not, as a treble is partly a historical accident. If we win the FA Cup and league every 5 years (which would be excellent, on average) and the CL every 20 years (also excellent), the odds of them coming together all in one year are remote.

Of course, they won't be distributed statistically evenly, as some teams will be better than others. Still, cups are so random that even a great team is not odds-on to win one, much less both.

18. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    Probably not from England, just because the competition is so hard. But like it was mentioned early its a strong possibility for a team like Porto or Bayern or a team that dominates there own league.

19. holytoledo

holytoledo New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Well prymetyme might see one in HIS lifetime. ;)

20. Realwood

Realwood Member

Feb 11, 2004
    FC Dallas, Tucson
    Not in England. A team from Spain might do it.

21. cockney

cockney New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Trance Nation
    For sure.
    In the next 15-20 years.
    Hope everyone (incl. me) will be alive then :)

22. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Re. this question.

I was responding with regard to the PL. Frankly, no other country has a F.A Cup that comes close to ours. They regard the F.A Cup in the same way we regard the Carling Cup. So it hardly ranks alongside a real treble.

And with regard to that (the real treble) you'll be lucky to ever see one again.

23. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In England? Maybe... maybe from someone like Chelsea or another big-spending team with the squad depth and overall quality. But the big factor in England is the massive fixture congestion that occurs not only around Christmas (a time when most other leagues take a break) but also in April or so when the big FA Cup and CL games occur. Avoiding injuries, fatigue, etc. is such a tough thing in England. And to top it off, you have to have guys who are, you know... good. Out of your first choice XI, you're looking at 8-9 guys in their flat-out prime who can perform at a world-class level or something thereabouts week in, week out. Remember that most folks would also agree that we had a fair amount of luck during our run. I know, I know, the better you are, the luckier you get and all that. But the footballing gods were no doubt in our corner that season.

In other leagues, its more likely, but remember that many other leagues don't value the domestic cup competition as much as English teams care about the FA Cup, certainly not for the bigger clubs. They view their cups more like we view the Carling Cup--nice to have, but hardly a priority. They're more than happy to do a league and CL double in Spain, Italy, Germany, etc.