Will we have a Rev Academy?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Soccer Doc, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From MLSnet.com:

Garber holds roundtable in Columbus

"We have just given our teams the right to go out, set up academies, and keep the rights to those players from a developmental perspective. It is something that we are working out the details. We need to get our teams to go out and take responsibility to for developing the game here in this market."

VERRRRRRY INTERESTING :p

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could have sworn we already had a Revolution Academy ... no? Ah yes ... here it is.

Most likely though, the scope should change in regards to what Garber has in mind.

3. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    I think we're talking about a real academy though. Correct me on this, but isn't the academy currently only a kind of camp? I always think of academies as a little more like Bradenton is, soccer is the focus and school work is intensified into the mornings only.

4. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must admit I'm often amused by the topics that get a lot of interest vs those that get just a passing glance with minimal to no posts. This is one where I'm a bit surprised by the lack of ineterst/excitement being shown.

IMO, next to the League starting a Reserve System and matches this season, I think the advent of a Formal Academy developmental System where the played become in some way "bonded" to the parent organization is the single most important announced advance in MLS this year.

We all know there is a HUGE pool of talented kids playing youth soccer in New England. Some get good coaching and opportunity to advance and some don't. Only a limited percentage of those 10-15 yo's with real potential get slotted into a formal development program aimed at becoming professional soccer players. Here is MLS encouraging each team to formalize a system to identify and develope this resource.

I think this was the last piece in the puzzle:
    ~a geographically diverse Major League (12 on the way to 20 teams) with each team having their own SSS
    ~a Reserve System to allow game time for bench players and injured regulars
    ~a Academy System when a team can identify and develope it's own resources
    ~a collective bargening agreement whereby the players rights are protected

Good things are happening :p