Will we finish last?

Discussion in 'China' started by xfactor857, Jan 19, 2006.

1. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I only care because this is a friggin joke of a competition now...Cuba gone? A-Rod, where he's going? Please

They've ruined the tournament by not having Cuba in it. Imagine the stories and press that matchup could have made.

As for Chinese NT...I could care less. They're going to finish last in their group, Korea, Japan and Taipei all have better teams.

2. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    A-Rod is going to Team USA. There's nothing wrong with that.

3. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I know that, I was just referring to the "saga" about which side he's going to be on.

4. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I didn't even know PRC had a men's baseball team

I know the ladies do fairly well but the mens?????

Yes, we will finish last. Let's hope we don't play too bad against Taipei, otherwise it gives them some kind of political satisfaction that they can beat their PAPA in something.

5. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    中国棒球 :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KONAMI CUP Asia Series 2005

6. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    I was shocked when I saw China would have a team in this competition, I don't know what they're thinking (unless the payday is big). I've watched the "Chinese World Series" last year between Beijing and Tianjin, absolutely the worst baseball I've ever seen.

7. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Baseball is such a wimpy sad boring game only girls should be allowed to play. Very gay uniforms too.

8. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    It's "sports-politik." We will participate in every and all events, with or without popular support, for the glory of the motherland.

9. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I have only one question~ What is baseball? :D

10. ReturnoftheTang

Jul 15, 2005
    Now that's a true Chinese Question asked by a true Chinese Brother.

By asking that question, we all know you are heart core China man ha ha ha

11. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Which is why I don't understand why China goes for the sports that have little money in it (i.e. all the olympic sports that no one gives a piss about).

Chinese government in sports seriously has the wrong ideas.

12. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    I can think of 2 reasons why they want to participate:

1. It is an Olympic sport (for the time being) and they want to try developing and improving the game in China to compete with the other countries (I would think the target is Taiwan) in the 2008 Olympics. I know baseball was removed as a sport for the 2012 games, but will it still be in for 2008?

2. (This sort of goes with 1) China's earnestly trying to develop baseball, but it has received minimal attention (just look at greenlion's question). They know they can't win this tournament, but because the team is so bad, losses are acceptable (I'm sure they'll try to hype the fact they got an invitation to play in this thing). Perhaps they feel this event, being so important, will be enough to get people interested in the game.

13. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I'm not talking about the WSB...I'm talking about how China concentrates on so many Olympic sports (i.e. gymnastics, swimming, diving) that only generates interest basically once every 4 years.

14. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Haha, I didn't mean my post as a direct rebuttal of what you're saying, just as a hypothesis for why China chose to compete in this thing.

As for what you're saying, they do this because these are the sports China is historically good at and a second reason which goes to national pride. If China focuses money on swimming and diving for example, they can create a number of strong atheletes who are capable of taking multiple gold medals, but if they focus the money on soccer and the team were (by some miracle) to win a gold medal, thats only 1 gold medal. More bang for the buck by focusing on the "small ball" or "no ball" sports.

There's an interesting and (relatively) new book called "Operation Yao Ming" that is part Yao Ming and DaZhi biography, part examination and history of Chinese basketball, and part examination of the Chinese sports scene as a whole. It discusses this topic in depth and brings up the point that while Chinese was able to achieve much success in "small" ball games, they've always hoped for success in the big ball sports.

15. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Once every 4 years=chance of marketing these people only once in awhile
    Advertising EVEN a Li Tie=far greater reward.

Thats what I think.

16. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
  17. ReturnoftheTang

Jul 15, 2005
    come on man, we are going to finish last and you know it.

I don't even think China should participate in this event, seeing how Taiwan will get the satisfaction of beating us 10-0, it really humiliates us.

18. ReturnoftheTang

Jul 15, 2005
    speaking of rosters, isn't there a site that show which MLB teams these guys play on? How come it's not there?

19. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Our guys? MLB teams? hehehe...I did see a page on the MLB site that had the info for the other teams, but can't seem to find it, though I did find this:
    http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/...t_id=1309283&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

will there be riots because he's being called the "Chinese Ichiro"? Haha...You can't expect much from China's team and I agree with X, we'll be lucky to score a run. The thing is, we're always talking about how Chinese soccer needs to play better teams, how can you blame the baseball team for competing in this? It's all about putting together a team that will be "respectable" in 2008.

20. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Taiwan shouldn't even have a team, it should be under China, People's Republic of China.

I hope Taiwan apprecaites their semi-autonomous rights

21. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    :) :D

22. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    haha, if Puerto Rico, which is indisputably a part of the US, gets a team, there can be no argument against Taiwan (Province) having a team.

23. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    yeah but Puerto Rico is actually legitimately a country. Taiwan is a different story. People's Republic of China, our motherland is being too generous. If PRC keeps this up, Taiwan will start to think in their head that they might be autonomous. We can give them that thought or hope. They should be under PRC, not Taiwan.

24. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    This is extremely arguable...PR, while not a US state, is totally under US control and its residents are US citizens and vote in US elections. While I agree that Taiwan is definitely a part of China, currently China has absolutely no control over Taiwan. PR is not a country, whether it one day will be (or will it be a US state?) or not, it is insane that they are allowed their own team, since they are, there can be no argument against Taiwan.