Will we ever see Crew-ManU at The Shoe?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by CrewStadium227, Aug 15, 2009.

1. CrewStadium227

CrewStadium227 New Member

Jul 9, 1999
    Columbus,Ohio,USA
    We've seen some of the big European clubs play in a few matches against MLS clubs this summer. European friendlies are nothing new, but bigger names have gotten into the mix this year.

Do MLS teams keep the revenue from this? Does Seattle get a big payday when they draw 60,000 to see someone like Barcelona or Chelsea? Something like that could make a huge difference in a league where teams are struggling to stay out of the red.

That puts Columbus at a disadvantage. Crew Stadium is just the right size for MLS matches, but it doesn't give you capacity for a really big crowd if you could sign a match with Real Madrid or someone like that.

I wonder if they could make a deal with OSU to hold a match at Ohio Stadium again.

2. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the Galaxy played against Madrid they did not play at the HDC they played at the Rose Bowl so yes I am sure they could work out a deal.

3. osubowler

osubowler Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't the dimensions at Ohio Stadium be a problem? I think there was talk about this in an old thread about possible stadiums for the World Cup.

4. crewfan#1

crewfan#1 New Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would the deminsions matter for a friendly?

5. RPatty86

RPatty86 New Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Why would you want to see more shit play at that stadium?

6. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
  7. Tyneside4life

Tyneside4life Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We won't ever see a club like ManU, Chelsea, or Real Madrid at the shoe or at CCS. We'll be too busy the next few years playing meaningful international matches.

8. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After reading this thread, my IQ has now been reduced to that of a TFC fan. Thank you very f-cking much.

9. Tyneside4life

Tyneside4life Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp

10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    What Mike said.

11. AC30

AC30 Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Columbus OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Whether or not Crew Stadium has sufficient capacity, or Ohio Stadium has a large enough pitch (it does, BTW, they made sure of that by eliminating the track that surrounds the field), isn't the point. Neither is the spurious "we have more important matches to play". If the Crew FO could get Man Utd, or Barca, or AC Milan to come to Columbus and play the Crew I'd like to think they'd jump at the chance. The sad truth is that the league does not see us as a marquee club, but rather a small, provincial team that they'd rather not bother with. The fact that we are MLS Cup and Supporter's Shield holders, or that we currently have the best record in the league, is not something they'd like to acknowledge by trotting us out against one of Europe's visiting royalty. Likewise, it's difficult to imagine of of those European giants wanting to come to a dull town in the Midwest on their summer break. We don't have any ageing Euro stars; neither do we have nice beaches or other distractions.

12. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    The field isn't big enough for FIFA World Cup standards as it is currently configured - they would have to do some selective demo to make the required field size fit.

13. AC30

AC30 Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Columbus OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    My mistake then. I distinctly remember reading (when they renovated the Shoe) that the OSU athletic director stated it was important that they make the field large enough "for the world's game", but I guess they either didn't know how large that had to be, or they were blowing smoke up our asses. Either explanation seems likely.

At any rate, it's field turf, so they'd have to do something about that, too.

14. CaptainZ

CaptainZ Member

Nov 9, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't the Shoe make the shortlist of World Cup stadiums for our 2018/2022 bid? If I remember correctly I think it did and I can't see why it would have if it didn't support a regulation size field.

15. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Why ManU? I'd like to see a home-and-home series with Boca Juniors! The El Mellizo Cup!

16. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Because ManU knows the Massive is the only team that can get the best out of them.

17. GeneralLongstreet

Mar 22, 2007
    town full of losers
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as unlikely as this is, who would not want to see the Crew play in front of 105,000 people?

For those of you who turned your nose up at the thought, relax. No need to get bent out of shape.

18. smithnwesson

smithnwesson New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Yeah, but that's mostly because they know we'd "whoop dat ass."

Don't get mad at me, it's the technical term for what we would do.

19. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New two-stick in the works :D

20. DixieDean

DixieDean New Member

Jun 4, 2004
    Nassau, Bahamas

You seem to be labouring under the assumption that clubs like MU pick their preseason friendlies based on the size or perceived prestige of the opponent. That's completely wrong of course. They pick their opponents based on one thing and one thing alone...$$$$$$$. i.e. how much the potential opponent is willing to pay. The MLS teams that played the big clubs this summer payed out millions, literally. Our owners aren't exactly know for opening up their check book. Personally I'd prefer not to see my club humiliated by some European super club in preseason (like our MLS brethren) just to line our owners pockets.

p.s. If you think that Columbus is dull, especially in the summer, you must be blind, deaf or both.

21. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Some clubs get involved in the friendlies, others don't. Every year, DC, LA play, NY gets one they may or may not be involved in, and it's a crap shoot as to who beyond that. Seattle seems likely to be an ongoing location.

*not related - 'payed' is the new 'teh'.

22. AC30

AC30 Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Columbus OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don't think Columbus is dull, but it's my assumption that most Europeans who haven't been to the U.S. outside either coast probably think it is (if they've heard of us at all).

23. Reno14

Reno14 Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Cincinnati
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im gonna get all fanboy and PC for a sec its not ManU, please Man Utd. But I would love to see them come to columbus, hell I would love to see any of the major clubs come. I think it would be great for the Crew, but instead we get Westham and their wanna be fanbase.

24. junior21

junior21 New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screw the international friendlies played here. I rather see the CCL final played here with the Crew in it. Why waste the time to bring a "big club" to town when the bigger and meaningful matches are at hand.

25. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the British pronounce it "ManUre" ;)