Will Turkey do what Greece did in 04???

Discussion in 'Knock-out Phase' started by ITALIA1982, Jun 20, 2008.

1. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    While you can't help but admire the sort of determination the Turks displayed against Switzerland, Czech Republic, and Croatia. I think people are short-changing Greece's accomplishments.

I know, as neutrals we would all like to see attacking football, but 80% of the time in Euro tournaments teams around Turkey's or Greece's level that play attacking football crash out early on (Yugoslavia losing to Holland 6-0 in the quarters comes to mind). I think Turkey is VERY fortunate to be where it is now, considering that they didn't show up versus Portugal, and were non-existent for the first 45 minutes against the Czech Republic. I don't think anyone can disagree with that.

What I am trying to get at is, Greece didn't need divine intervention to help them beat France or the Czech Republic, or Portugal (twice). Like it or not, they played a tactical style to perfection in every elimination game they had 60% possession and completely stifled the opposition's attack.

Although Turkey's style is extremely entertaining, I don't see the tactical side of it. I see a lot of luck, but because they are pleasing to the eye, no one is going to call their run a fluke or hold a grudge against them for four years.

2. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Then you are totally misinformed!

Crazy man. :eek: :D

3. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Having 9 men in the Box with every opponent missing the net from distance or hitting the Post while scoring on corner kicks with defenses asleep is not a tactic performed to perfection. It is simply realizing they could not compete and all bunkered in hopes that the ball would not wind up in the net and it worked for 3 games in a row. The group stage showed them employ the same crap with a loss tie and a win thanks to a Portugal giveaway and PK.

People want to think that Greece employed some great tactic to solidify them as a true Champion. I wish that was the case then I could say that we were beaten by quality. But I can't it was a pure fluke. Where were these Champions at the World Cup? Otto Boasted about how much better Greece was for Euro '08 they employed that same embarassing style and guess what they continued that magical form they had before and after 2004.

Greece gets compared to Denmark for their odd win. What a travesty to Denmark who played great football and to this day can qualify for Tournaments here and there and put up a fight. 2 Tournaments from their win in 2004 and Greece has not won a match in a Tourney and managed 1 goal, while having better players. It was a fluke, good for them but stop pretending to be shocked when Greece doesn't make a Tournament or fail to register a point.

Turkey is the exact opposite. They have a style that is very positive, creative fun to watch and they can score more then one goal and even concede 1 or 2 and still win. They are everything that is great in this game (Spirit, attack, creativity, winning against odds) while Greece represents everything that is wrong with it (Lack of skill, crowding their box, refusing to attack unless it's on a fast counter, winning by accident).

4. Gandalf The Red

Gandalf The Red BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 23, 2006
    I agree with that statement except for the czech rep, they opened up greece at will it was crap shooting by koller and baros that won the match not greeces defence

5. 4evermedi

4evermedi New Member

May 31, 2008
    History will write about them (and already has) as champions. Whatever they did...pretty..ugly, they won it guys. Let's move on because football's new direction is creative, fast attacking and finishing and multiple scores! Greece and Italy have had their days. Now, the more positive styles will dominate.
    As you will see tomorrow...what a battle it will be. Effortwise it will be 110% on both sides.

6. PARAdoxx

PARAdoxx New Member

Mar 1, 2007
    You're really pushing it. Now I'm eating my printer and my keyboard in case Turkey wins.

7. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  8. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I heard it douzends of times. the turkish play with heart and passion. so what? that's not a plus for the turkish, the german do it the same, maybe more.

turkish have to grow over themselves, can't believe.
    if germany can reactivate that kind of quarterfinal, it could be easy a 4-0 or 5-1.

9. 4evermedi

4evermedi New Member

May 31, 2008
    We wil find out in a few hours. Go Turkiye.

10. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Great performance by the Turks they deserved to go through to the Finals today. Some teams just get lucky and thats what Germany should consider themselves.

11. bits274

bits274 New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    seems to me gooddead you are suffering from sour grapes.
    GREECE deserved to win euro 2004,nothing you say will change history so just accept that we beat you TWICE in your own backyard and stop crying.

UNLUCKY TURKEY!!! better team lost,germany were really poor

12. PARAdoxx

PARAdoxx New Member

Mar 1, 2007
    So it looks like I don't have to eat anything, haha...

And please don't talk about Turkey being unlucky. Such a fluke like this Turkey campaign in Austria and Switzerland I can't remember seeing in a long, long time. Being outplayed for the most of the game and then scoring in the literally last second isn't luck?

13. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So you lost to a poor team? How many goals would turkey have conceded, if germany would have played well?
    It's just a joke. :p
    Germany won like Turkey won their games.

14. bits274

bits274 New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    im from GREECE my friend as a neutral watching the match TURKEY was the better team in my opinion.Germany didnt play like themselves very lethargic only schweinsteiger impressed me,he was the only one who played to a good level on the german side throughout the whole match.
    I fancy germany to lose in the final on that performance because both russia and spain would punish germany if they play like that again.

15. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And if Spaion plays like the Italygame, they will crushed too. That's nonsense man,

16. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dude, I'm happy for your printer & keyboard ... and of course for your stomach. ;)

Damn, you were so close to eating that tasty stuff! :eek::D

17. PARAdoxx

PARAdoxx New Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Tough luck... Maybe another time :D

18. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    i just opened this thread but my pick is YES........

this turkey team is better than that greece team from 2004

they deserved more really!

19. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Semifinal is enough, maybe even more than enough.
    No team "deserves" anything. They earn something or they don't.