Will Turkey do what Greece did in 04???

Discussion in 'Knock-out Phase' started by ITALIA1982, Jun 20, 2008.

1. ITALIA1982

ITALIA1982 Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Are we in for another big surprise, this time in Turkey???
    With Turkey only 2 wins away from becoming the EURO Champs, does this remind you of last Euro???
    Another omen was the Milan - Liverpool Finals repeated both in Istanbul and Athens with the outcome in reverse???

2. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Waddya mean? Bore the hell out of everybody, passing the ball along the back four, putting 10 players behind the halfway line and waiting for a corner and then....... BAM!

Nah, Turkey are winning with some sort of style at least.

3. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    What the hell are you saying? Turkey played a marvelous first half and played well in extra time. Second half was of course mostly defending, but apparently people have short attention spans and remember only what will make them sound interesting at the time of posting. Go become a BigSoccer blogger if your going to be like that. ;)

4. Parsifal

Parsifal New Member

Sep 9, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    he is clearly referring to Greece, you genius.

5. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  6. 4evermedi

4evermedi New Member

May 31, 2008
    OK, cut him a break...he misinterpreted the comments.

Turkiye plays a risky, attacking at all cost, and entertaining game. I would like to see them take it all the way for their courage after watching the so called "powers" for a long time, displaying defensive football based on a few counterattacks for a measly score. A European exception to this besides Turkiye is England. They also take no prisoners in their style, and risk not qualifying as they just have done.

Many people make the mistake of underestimating Turkish soccer. Let me set the stage for you...soccer in Turkiye has become like religion..they play it, talk it, sleep it 24X7! There are so many soccer shows on TV stations where soccer brains of Turkiye disect almost each play and player every day. With a 70 million population and this heightened interest in the game especially over the last 20 years, it is no surprise they have been leaving a mark on the scene the last ten years. Turkish soccer will be a power to deal with for the upcoming decades. There are many more Arda's and Nihat's and Emre's in the making.

7. Pit-182

Pit-182 New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Modena, Italy
    They'll lose against germany and will finish 4th in the tournament.

8. PARAdoxx

PARAdoxx New Member

Mar 1, 2007
    They are set to be trashed by Germany.

9. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    More like posting in the wrong thread. Apparently I wrote it without ever noticing where I was posting and that I was posting the wrong quote. Sorry. Oh, well, at least I didn't get any neg rep. That match had me a little delirious. ;)

10. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    It's gonna be tough to get through Germany and Italy, but let me tell you
    I'll be rooting for them
    If they get to the final and it's again Spain, they'll take it for sure.

11. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Russia or Spain will beat them, the winner will be from those two.

12. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But Turkey doesn't play vs Russia or Spain, they are on the other side of the competition, so they play Germany. :)

13. 1903

1903 Member

Apr 24, 2008
    İstanbul
    Club:
    Besiktas JK
    We have a lot of injured and suspended players.

........................Volkan(Suspended)

Gökhan Gönül(inj).......Servet(inj).....E.Güngör(inj)......E.Aşık(sus.)

.....................E.Belozoglu(inj.)

Tuncay(sus).........Tümer(inj.)............Arda Turan(sus.)

..............Nihat Kahveci(inj.)........????

And most of them were our best players.I dont think We win against Germany but Turkish players taught us that "Never say Turkey off" at this tournament :cool:

14. 4evermedi

4evermedi New Member

May 31, 2008
    I disagree...the subs are just a hair below the ones that are injured or carded. But, the soul is the same. Gokdeniz is not too far below Arda and Ugur is awesome when he is on. They will give it their all relying on a goalie as field player (sub) and give Germany fits.
    Germany will try to outmuscle them to get them upset and sent off on a card but it won't work. Remember we beat the Germans just last year by 2-0!

Everyone likes to "crush" the Turks--the team that brought so much color and character to the tournament, but they keep losing their bets. Quite funny!!!

Turkiye plays Russia (who are impressing everyone more and more) in the final. Will be agreat game to watch...Arda, Tuncay are back by then and Turkiye winds the cup.;)

15. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fighting spirit, "heart" or "soul" aren't characteristics exclusive to the turkish team.

Eh? That's not true, we didn't even play you last year! Last game was a friendly in 2005 which you won 2:1 in Istanbul.

Btw if you read interviews with german players all of them take Turkey very, very seriously!

16. 4evermedi

4evermedi New Member

May 31, 2008
    Boy, time flies. I thought Turkiye beat Germany last year...so it was in 2005--my bad. But, still it says something.
    This will be a much tougher game than most people seem to predict here (an easy Germany win)...But, we know that the German players themselves are taking the Turks seriously. I wish they took them as lightly as some of the commentators on various blogs...that would work out to the benfit of the hard-charging Turks'.
    Two good teams...two different styles. Germans are physically stronger and deadly on set balls. The Turks, very creative on the attack...you never know where will it come from with so much talent in the midfielders (they play 5 of them there). If Turkiye wins the battle in the middle and is extermely careful on set pieces, I see a win for them.

17. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Of course. But what's the result of our last clash during a tournament...? ;)

18. PARAdoxx

PARAdoxx New Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Turkey - no chance.
    If they win over Germany, I'll eat my printer.

19. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Yes we all read''in various news press'' dont worry.
    And ,I dont think so.

They think Turkey is easy to past.

Its wonderfull to be underdog.

Keep continue..

20. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, playing with heart can only take you so far. If they didn't have so many suspensions and injuries I would say they could have a chance of beating Germany, but they're just missing way too many players. As much as I want them to win it all (they were my dark horse team), they'll get destroyed come wednesday me thinks.

21. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Every team has a chance in a time it comes.
    Maybe this is the right time for Turks. who knows..

I believe Turkiye will do theyr best to get good result.
    To see theyr never give up performance is<> Like a living in the treasure land I gues...

@
    you never know whats gonna happend in this kind of match up.
    11 vs 11 will play and one side will win.
    My predict for Red_White

22. 4evermedi

4evermedi New Member

May 31, 2008
    Paradoxx...I hope you will like the taste of your printer! All that black powder you have to swallow...make sure to have a bottle of water next to you. Don't want you to choke.:rolleyes:

23. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The answer is maybe.

But if they do win they are a far more deserving side then Greece was. They have a great attacking style and Spirit. No negative 9 in the box fluke play.

24. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    They need a miracle now...
    10 players out... Tuncay, Nihat ...wow

will be good to watch anyway...
    you know they'll leave their heart on the field...

Turks, be proud!

25. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If Germany lose, I'll help paradox and eat the printer with him. I'll only eat the paper. :p