Will there be some USMNT WCQs at the HDC?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by KoreAmBear, Sep 12, 2003.

1. KoreAmBear

KoreAmBear New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Honolulu
    Home Depot Center?

Do the men plan on using the HDC for a lot of their games from now on? I hope so because I would love to check out some meaningful games like the WCQs in L.A.

2. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, you can expect to see our games against Bermuda and Canada in the HDC.

3. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only teams they definitely shouldn't play at Victoria St. are Mexico, El Salvador, and probably Guatemala. Crowd ratios versus Costa Rica and Honduras wouldn't be that much worse than in Kansas City or Columbus, and you'd get a much better ratio versus TnT or Jamaica in SoCal than on the east coast or SoFla.

4. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Costa Rica would be a disaster. There are a number of Ticos in Los Angeles, my best friend being one of them, and I've been to two matches involving the Costa Rican NT in LA, always to see a throng of Costa Ricans there. It would be a bad idea. Honduras as well I can imagine, but I haven't been to any of their matches. Remember that there are about 14 million people in Los Angeles, with a substantial amount of those people coming from South of the border.

That being said, only using the HDC for opponents from the Caribbean or Canada would be a smart move. Everything else would be an 'away' match for our boys, and they just don't deserve that when they could be playing in front of the home fans in places like New England, Columbus, Seattle and Portland. I wish it were different, but the facts are the facts.

5. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell you the truth, I wasn't too impressed with the Tico showing at the '02 GC final at the Rose Bowl, and that was with the NHL ASG going on just a few miles away.

I think facing the Catrachos here might be worse, but it would still be much better at the HDC than at RFK in 2001. Plus, I'd be curious how the AEG/SUM forces would do if challenged with getting a pro-US crowd versus Hondo or CR. Could be Mexies-in-Columbus type success, except that the weather wouldn't be in our favor as much... :)

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally agree with this, we shouldn't play teams in places where it will be more like an away game then a home game. Play another cold weather game, like the Mexico in the Hex last time around, make the Central American teams adjust to the conditions. Also I would love to see KC host a game again, they did well for the game against Costa Rica, and figure that they can do it again.

7. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may be right, but I'm wondering if Ticos' fans wouldn't give a WCQ match much more importance than the GC Final. (BTW, I'm not sure I understand your reference to the NHL ASG. . .maybe the Ticos' fans were watching hockey???)

Either way, I wouldn't schedule any WCQing games against any Hispanic opponent at HDC. It will be interesting to see what kind of turnout will occur if WCQing matches are scheduled against Canada, T&T, Jamaica and the like, meaning, will there really be a strong American turnout and support.

8. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm personally tired of the doom/gloom "we shouldn't play so-and-so in Los Angeles crap"

If we win, it's because we deserve too. If we have more fans for the other side, it's because our fans were lame about showing up.

I personally LOVE when the USMNT draws a lot of opposing team fans. I yelled myself hoarse during the game against Mexico in Los Angeles at the Coliseum. It was Donovan's first full cap and he scored and we won, 2-0. I strutted out of the stadium filled with pride, laughing at every downcast face I saw. It was bliss.

To think I'm denied that experience again because some lame-o thinks our boys can't score if there are a few boos sucks.

I want to see the USMNT go undefeated at HDC against anyone and everyone. I'll be there to cheer them on and support them, and to do my bit to drown out any opposition.

Remember, if we relocate, it means the terrorists win.

9. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Yes, but for every game you have like that (and remember, that was a friendly, not a WCQ where the pro-mex crowd in LA would be intense), you have 2 games like USA-Hondo at RFK on 9/1/01 where the crowd was about 60/40 or 70/30 in favor of the opponents. The place was loud and intimidating and it sucks to basically play every game on the road. The boys get tons of $hit playing in places like Costa Rica and Guatemala, we shouldn't make them go through that at home too.

I agree that USA fans can be lame about the turnout, but such is US soccer support at the moment. I think the best we can hope for is that our team does well and more people come out for the games making it hard for the Hondos of the world to find tickets. Playing central american teams (Mex, CR, Hondo, Guat, El Sal) in either LA, DC, NY, NE or PHL is likely a mistake. Stick those games in KC or Columbus, play everyone else where it makes sense. Putting all of the games at Crew Stadium and HDC would likely mean I can't go to them, but I think that might be best for the team. Foxboro will always get one home game during the Hex because they always do. Teams like Jamaica will turn out 2000 reggae boys (always fun when you notice that the section is partaking around the 60th minute), but they won't set the stadium on it's ear. Mex, Guat, Hondo and El Sal all have that ability, and for the betterment of the team we need to place those games carefully to give our guys the best chance to win.

10. Chizzy

Chizzy Member

United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Against Central American countries. NO WAY!

11. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Has anyone seen the commercials AEG did of el Tri in the HDC ? :)

12. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    How about a deal...

How about a deal with Mexico. If the USMNT doesn't have to play in Azteca, then the Mexicans won't have to play someplace with snow on the ground?

13. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Dear Mexico,

Thanks for the cash

Sincerely,

The US Soccer Federation

14. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    i say let the USSF collect some bank in the first round by playing some of their games in hostile territory.

Until the rest of america wakes up we need them filling up the seats to keep soccer in this country alive.

second round, screw it, we're playing in c-bus and hopefully a frozen foxboro

15. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Re: Re: Will there be some USMNT WCQs at the HDC?

Fixed your post :)

16. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Re: Re: Re: Will there be some USMNT WCQs at the HDC?

Dear Mexico,

See you soon

Sincerely,

Winter in the Notheast

17. Simon Birch

Simon Birch New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    With McOwen's Monkey
    Re: Re: Re: Will there be some USMNT WCQs at the HDC?

Now yours is fixed too.

18. SAMSARMY20

SAMSARMY20 New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Iowa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    vs you think your so cool we outnumber you in LA if all your people so proud why you in our country then?

19. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    I was at USA v Mexico in Columbus and I'm all for moving games wherever it takes to get that atmosphere. Mexico probably still had a quarter of the tickets, but it was good enough (plus they didn't have much to yell about).

No way should the matches be played where it gives the visiting team hope (no more Guatemala or Honduras at RFK for example).

20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    prelims/hex

For the preliminary round(s), sure, since we are likely to field largely or entirely MLS-based teams. But Bruce and the USSF made a strong point to those of us in the west during the last Hex: the west is too far for our European based players to travel for qualifiers. So during the forthcoming Hex, if the same logic applies, then no games for the HDC.

I didn't like the rationale last time through, but don't see why it would change in the run-up to 2006.

21. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True dat, but I mentioned before, I'd like to see AEG try the ticketing scheme that was done for Columbus, 2001. I think it would work best against the Ticos, and maybe Honduras.

Exactly :)

No, I was just surmising that the NHL ASG being played at Staples Center at the same time as the GC Final might have pulled away potential US fans. As it were, the crowd seemed about 50-50, although there were a decent amount of what looked like fans of other nations there that were cheering for the USMNT that afternoon.

22. KLECKO73

KLECKO73 New Member

Jan 5, 2002
    GARDEN STATE
    Thank God I like cold weather because that's where we should play games against Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, and Honduras. I know everybody hates Mex. but I sure would love to see the Guats suffer in bitter cold because of that Mazatanango (or whatever its called) crap. F--- them and their soon to be eliminated squad.

23. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    The Wrong Question

The correct question is "Will some of the Mexican WCQs be held at HDC?", because the US will never play a meaningful match there.

24. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    In the meantime, Soldier Field hasn't had a national team match since WC '94. Throw us a frickin' bone here, people, particularly considering that we too have a new stadium.

Besides, if you're really looking to make Central American opponents suffer, it doesn't get much worse than Chicago in the winter.

25. KLECKO73

KLECKO73 New Member

Jan 5, 2002
    GARDEN STATE
    Re: The Wrong Question

In a sane world, you would be laughed at and mocked for asking such an idiotic question. But since where talking about Mexico's most modern city, Los Angeles, your question is not only sound but deserves serious thought.