Will the US Qualify for Germany 2006?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Huss, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Will the US Qualify for Germany 2006?

2. Qamle

Qamle Member

May 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You have to qualify if you want to win it.

3. Supersuperman99

Supersuperman99 New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    We will qualify in first or second place. I think it will be US, MEX, GUT, CR. the US qualification fo germany'06 is a must. We have very strong domestic league and our talent pool has never been deeper. We cant lose our heads in big games and we must stay real focused. But all in all we will qualify as No. 1

4. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There should be little doubt, BUT, as for qualifying #1 it certainly is not a given. I don't care how much Europeans think Guatemala or Costa Rica are minnows but the reality is playing in Guatemala and Costa Rica is very tough. I remember trying to qualify in both countries last year it appeared as if the crowd were going to bust through the fences and mob the US players to death. You can feel the tension and it has a dangerous aura to it as if anything could go wrong and surely in both games strange things did occur. In Guatemala "El Pescadito" Ruiz crashed into the box and controversially managed a goal against the US in the final minutes of the game. In Costa Rica a phantom handball was called against Greg Berhalter that lead to a late game penalty. So take into consideration that many times in these games the refs are against the USA, the crowd is 100% against them, and add a surreal atmosphere that the Latin crowds can throw at you... it is by no means easy.

5. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be an upset of monumental proportions if we didn't qualify. That would mean all but one of Panama, T&T, Costa Rica, and Guatemala finish ahead of us in the hex, OR that we couldn't beat the 5th place team from Asia.

Utter disaster if we don't get to Germany. Pure and simple. Bruce's head on a platter.

6. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Agreed sachsen, hell would freeze over if we didn't qualify. That being said, I think the most useful thing about this poll is, we'll finally get an accurate census of the Mexican population on this board by the total number of people who vote no in this poll.

7. Supersuperman99

Supersuperman99 New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    What happens if the US finishes 4th and has to play the Asian team Imagine if it gets to bne of the really hostile Mid eatern teams Like Iran, Afgahnistan, Pakistan Jordan Or even Iraq. they might be played in neutral ground but would any of these teams be willing to play the games like that. Any else ever wonder of the posibilty of this happening?

8. Q Exp

Q Exp Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Yeah man, that was my first thought when I heard that the CONCACAF 4th place team would play the Asian 5th place team for a World Cup spot. If the US had to play in the "Middle East", the level of hostility at that stadium would be off the scale.

9. Rudy R9

Rudy R9 New Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Estadio Azteca
    Go to hell, Damn hater! Go Mexico!My opinion is that Mexico will come in 1st Us a close 2nd. But hey thats just one mans opinion. :rolleyes:

10. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Well, it's hard to imagine considering that Iran is the only team out of those five that are still alive. Although North Korea is still alive. I actually hope that they qualify, just because it's more fun to have enemies in the World Cup.

11. CdnBhoy67 redded

CdnBhoy67 redded Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Lets hope not. I don't want our rivals being there if were not. But serious,
    they should make it through no bother,even by the odd chance they finished
    4th and had to go the playoff route they would ein that easy enough.

12. elcombo

elcombo New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    this is such a stupid question
    they have it so easy to qualify.

13. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm a Mexican supporter and I voted that they will qualify.

14. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Relax, it was a joke and probably not a good at that, but the point is really who would seriously vote that the US doesn't qualify? No one seriouly would, but some did and I'm betting it was out of spite/hate. I was just giving the Mexicans a playful little jab, cause lately some Mexicans have been going overboard with this rivalry with us on some of these forums i.e. Yanks youth forum and the concacaf forum. So light up people a little.

15. hoboken16

hoboken16 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't imagine the US not qualifying, just can't imagine it. We should get at least 12 points at home and 5 on the road so 17 points should get us through without a playoff

16. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    For the US not to qualify, a) the team would need to suffer major catastrophic injuries across the board; b) Guatemala and Panama play a lot better than anyone expected; c) EJ regresses, McBride ages 5 years in the next few months, Wolff continues to regress, Casey and Twellman don't progress; d) OR

Arena calls Jeff Agoos back into the squad :eek:

17. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Well common let's be honest, it's not only the Mexicans who have been trolling but some yanks have been trolling as well, lets not forget that this is a simple rivalry, we both have our differences, but in the end it's all about the game itself and it pisses me off that people both yanks and Mexies go way overboard when it comes to this.

18. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes they will qualify, but it won't be easypass.
    Aside from Panama and Guatemala (still have my doubts) I think they will qualify.
    My prediction;
    1.?/2.? It will all come down to the matches between the US and Mexico, the better gets first, the other second.

3. Trinidad and Tobago, I think they are better suited than Guatemala and Panama.

4.(Special bid between AsiaOcenia and Concacaf) Costa Rica, I can't see them being in the top three, they haven't played the way they should, however I see them getting past Gua. and Panama, and eventually A/O team.

19. hawk_claw

hawk_claw New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Wisconsin
    haha i wouldnt call pakistan really all that hostile.....my parents r from there.....apparently everyonethere tries to be American...they celebrate like thanksgiving and stuff.....and them making the World Cup would make me cry! they suck!

20. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kuwait and ksa are still in it, and while their govts are cozy with ours, youre still gonna find anti-american sentiment (and security questions) there.

id be surprised in s korea doesnt qualify out and out (maybe if they draw japan and iran in group, and if both koreas get a spot they say theyre gonna send a unified team.

the US probably wont be first. we'll probably clench with a couple of rounds left, and then not care, use the games left over to get young MLSers capped and wind up in third, not really seeing a difference in the wc group stage draw between being there or in 1st.

21. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    We WILL qualify, out and out.

We may be 2nd to Mexico or maybe even 3rd, but we will not have to go to Asia. That is not insult to our neighbors in the Hex. It's just that we play well at home and I believe that we can steal some points in GUA, PAN, and T&T.

It should be exciting.

22. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    My man Tool and my man Butters both make excellent points. It's a rivalry, but let's not let things it get out of hand. Butters nailed it.

But then again, I have been accused of being too sensitive when it comes to talking smack on the board.

23. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are so right. Why waste all this time when we can sum it up like this..

2-0

24. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'll be dissapointed if we don't finish 1st and I'm looking at this realistically. We are the best team in CONCACAF and our recent experience in the WC should help this. This is the best US squad probably ever, and we should show it. No more last minute ties or losses to Mexico. We are the best team in the region and we should show it. I want to finish first and beat Mexico at the Azteca, but maybe I'm asking too much :rolleyes:

not qualifying would be the biggest let down ever, its just so beyond unacceptable that I can't even concieve the idea.

25. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Wow you just proved my point, how ironic.