Will the NY/NJ Sky Blue play some games at the Redbull Arena?

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by Elvis Minaya, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Elvis Minaya

Elvis Minaya Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Valparaiso, Chile
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    HI, I'm going to your opening day game with my 2 daughters. I would like to know if the Sky Blue are will be playing some games at the Redbull Arena?

2. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not this season.

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are at Yurcak for the entire season. The link gives some info and provides a link to the Rutgers info page on the stadium.

SB had the 2nd lowest attendance (median & total attendance) for 2009 based on attendance reported in the boxscores. They were the only team to ever have less than 2,000 at a game. They really need to work on getting more than 3,300 to Yurcak on a regular basis before trying to fill something larger.

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I know money is an important factor in choosing venues/stadiums for games. But IMO, a professional setting is important for a pro team. At least for a few games.
    The Chicago Red Stars put 4-5,000 in a stadium that holds over 20,000. And yes, most of the stadium looks empty. But man, they play at Toyota Park. A professional soccer stadium with amenities, beautiful grass, club house, etc. And IMO, it goes a long way to the professional perception. And playing in a professional stadium may draw more fans.

That's why I'm excited for Atlanta and I appreciate how Washington Freedom and DC United worked together to have doubleheaders. I'm big on that. I don't know why WPS teams can't work with MLS on having a couple doubleheaders. It's a win-win situation. Unless it's hard convincing MLS teams that's it's for their benefit also and the logistics are difficult.
    But if DCU and Washington Freedom can work something out, why can't the rest of the MLS/WPS teams in their respective cities?

5. Elvis Minaya

Elvis Minaya Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Valparaiso, Chile
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    DC United players love to see to Washington Freedom legs....jeje, just joking. Yes, I agree. I think NY/NJ Sky Blue should consider being a permanent tenant at the Redbull Arena for the same situation you mentioned at Toyota Park. They will be playing in a real state of the art SSS. Good point.

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But being a tenant at an MLS stadium likely costs A LOT more than the teams currently spend on their rental agreements. Right now, cost containment is huge. Spending a ton on a huge stadium a team won't come close to filling is not fiscally responsible. The first priority has to be ensuring the league's survival.

And there is a lot to be said for being in a smaller place that is "your own" -- things like locker rooms, field access, potential for getting a bigger cut of the revenue from parking/food, better scheduling, etc. Additionally, if you only pull 3,000 to a game, those 3,000 will feel like a bigger/better crowd in a 5,000 seat place than a 30,000 seat place. Feel too empty and people don't come back.

7. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Hey everyone - I love the debate here. I have met with the Red Bulls - the cost implications are HUGE!!!!! Over TEN TIMES the cost of Yurcak. I would need to SELL OUT the Red Bull Arena to break even. I would love to play there too - sorry!

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for posting. I figured the cost would be prohibitive. And frankly, if you can build a good following at a good venue, then I think that is for the best. Here's hoping for league long term success (knock wood. trying not to freak about new the LA news. etc.)

9. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nothing to freak about - we are strong and will continue to be strong. The big question is where do you think Marta, Boxx and rest will go?

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the calming words.

As for where I think they should go? I'd love for a buyer to step up and relocate the entire team if ownership doesn't exist in LA. And since I'm dreaming, I think the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area would be a fantastic location so I can see them in person. But I don't have that kind of money.....

So, I'm guessing there will be some sort of contraction draft like both MLS & WNBA have done w/ contraction.

11. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Correct again, and it will be soon. Stay tuned, the official announcement will be coming soon, but since our world of instant gratification and news leaks exists - I thought it was only fair to respond. Sky Blue FC is well positioned, and in a young league that is investor owned this development is not unusual. The good news is (and you know I don't really mean good) is that people like you care enough to write and read about us. Thanks for your support. Maybe Anson will step up?

1 person likes this.
  12. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you very much for your response. I (and others, I'm sure) appreciate it.

as far as someone stepping up to buy in NC, I don't know anyone "who matters" so I can't say who is interested or has the money. Andy Mead mentioned the Railhawks were interested at one point but not at this point. Wonder if they could pull together the $ for this particular team. Marta, Boxx, Nogueira, Washington would sell here.

13. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars

I'm actually worried Marta will leave WPS. I obviously do not know any of the financial information of the teams but Marta's salary is obviously a good chunk of change. You also factor in you can only have 5 internationals and some teams are already full like yourselves. I don't like to think of Marta as THE player of WPS but I do feel if she were to leave it would create a little dent. I'm trying not to be too worried about the situation. I'll breathe easier when LA's players are signed elsewhere and hopefully all their internationals have a place to go to as well.

14. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Marta IS NOT leaving WPS - I will not be going out on a limb to guarantee you that. This is not a situation that requires panic - "Stay Calm, All Is Well" is a favorite quote from my favorite character in one of my favorite movies.

15. Elvis Minaya

Elvis Minaya Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Valparaiso, Chile
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Can someone tell me how is the atmosphere at NY/NJ Sky blue games? How are the food stands? Do they sell beers?

16. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I think one player does not a league make (and therefore not worried about Marta leaving or not), I can see how her status is a concern to some.

Again, thank you for being Johnny On The Spot in terms of providing calm/info here.

17. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    The atmosphere is rockin. Food is good and this year we will be adding a beer garden.

18. jerseysoccer09

jerseysoccer09 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Really, a beer garden?! That's not the only reason I go to games, but it was a bit of a hard sell to get co-workers/new attendees to come to games with me when I had to mention that no, we could not buy beer. Will anyone have access to the beer garden (i.e., do I need to purchase a season ticket, which i was planning to do anyways...)?

19. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    It will be open to all who are of legal drinking age. Get that season ticket TODAY - we will be having 12 home games this season, but if you buy it now you get it for the ten game price. HURRY UP!!!!!!!

20. jerseysoccer09

jerseysoccer09 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Okay, you have me - will purchase today!

21. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    1-888-sbfc-tix

22. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should let you guys play there for free to help out WPS and soccer.

You really are the Sky Blue GM right?

23. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    I agree - but we would even like a reasonable cost. And yes, I really am the GM - my name is Gerry Marrone. You can email me directly at gmarrone@skybluesoccer.com if you would like to - I will respond.

24. Elvis Minaya

Elvis Minaya Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Valparaiso, Chile
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Its good to know that someone like you, a general manager hangs out around here. This is good for soccer and the the Sky Blue. I'm sure you and you girls could possible play at least a game at the Arena if you get in contact with them.

25. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Elvis - scroll up in the post - I already did. They want us to pay over TEN TIMES what it cost me now to play a game there. It is unrealistic and absurd. I would LOVE to play there - I am going to buy season tickets - and was a season ticket holder since day one of the Metrostars, and I hate to admit it - since the Cosmos!