Will Sky Blue pick up any Athletica players?

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by sarahpt, May 28, 2010.

1. sarahpt

sarahpt New Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Just wondering:rolleyes:

2. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    could use another forward....

3. Stepup

Stepup New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC

You read my mind.:p

4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff Kassouf chimes in w/ some info

5. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    oooooo an italian, nice pick up by sky blue

6. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like an Italian could easily become a honorary Jersey Girl.
    Great addition.

7. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    They call Panico "The Scorpion", and from what I've seen/heard she is an excellent finisher, but does not create all that much on her own. It'll be interesting to see whether she can still bring it at the highest level, at age 35.

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SBFC has signed Kendall Fletcher (per the GM's twitter). A good signing for SBFC, even though the midfield is a tad crowded. I thought she was the best holding mid outside of Shannon Boxx last season. And she did well as a cb for Athletica this season before their demise. Will be interesting to see how/if she gets on the field.

9. Del Piero 10

Del Piero 10 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    According to the WPS transactions list, Fletcher signed as a developmental. Are there any limitations as to who can sign as developmental? I guess I'm taking the term too literally. Fletcher definitely doesn't fit my perception of developmental.

10. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The WPS rules are: The Player Roster shall be composed of 18 fully-contracted players and up to 4 developmental players.

Nothing describes the development players.

Now, is this the best deal Kendall could get?
    or it is temporary until the team makes roster moves needed in order to move her up to full roster,
    Or does her contract looks like and quacks like a regular contract but they call it development for what ever reason.

The SB roster has 23 players listed including Luckenbill, who is leaving before the end of the season for school, but excluding Patrizia Panico.

Gerry should update us on who is considered regular roster and who is development.

11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That may be the only position availble. Any injury and she could be put into the starting line-up.

Last week at the CRS/ATL game when Spilger and Yamaguchi collided, and Spilger had to go in for stitches, Elise Weber came in and played the whole game even though they signed her as developmental but because Nikki Washington is still hurt they can promote Weber to the lineup for the game and even start her if they want.

IMO, the Developmental thing is not what it's meant to be anymore due to the foldings and veterans instead of young players are now on the "developmental" list.

12. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I understand it, all "developmental" means is that you make a lot less money, can be signed to a regular contract by any other team at any time, and there are some limitations on when and how much you can play. For example, I don't think developmental goalkeepers can play unless there's some good reason the starting and backup keepers can't play. And field players can only play a certain number of minutes before they have to be upgraded to a full contract.