Will SF parking be $35 for fire games?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Fanaddict, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that is just the Bears since according to local media that is the only team that will be playing in the new SF.

The day I hear on WBBM a sentence that mentioned the Bears AND Fire on level terms when referencing new Soldier Field, I'll know MLS is finally arrived. Every single article about Solider Field. Bear fans should expect to pay more......Bear fans will enjoy shorter lines....Bear fans will have additional tissue dispensers around the stadium. OK..the tissue is really only for Bear fans this season....

3. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I spoke with a Fire rep who said parking would not be $35 and more near the $20 range.

4. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

Re: Re: Will SF parking be $35 for fire games?

That's fukin' highway robbery.

5. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Re: Re: Re: Will SF parking be $35 for fire games?

Do they charge for the Dan Ryan now, too? I thought it was just parking lot robbery:). In any event, here is what you should do -

1) pool money with your buddies and go in shares for one $20 parking spot

2) draw straws - guy who loses has to drive to the game.

3) driver buys all kinds of food and stuff

4) buddies arrive via taxi, CTA, boat, helicopter - basically any mode that is cheaper than car + parking.

5) spread out and enjoy a tailgate in a very empty parking lot.

6. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Well if people want to commute together from the NW burbs.......

Otherwise I will be taking the train downtown and then bus it over to NSF.

7. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Keep in mind that it was a unofficial guess, but he did declare it would be "substantially" less than $35, but more than free....

8. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    If your willing to split the cost of parking, your always welcome in my vehicle. 10 bucks is better then 20.

9. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Very true.

Sounds like it could be a good idea.

10. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Please note not all downtown lots (or even all SF lots) will be 20 bucks.

I imagine 20 dollars is for the North Garage, and maybe the Waldron Garage too. The South lot will probably be 8, and you can also park in the Grant Park garage too and bus it.

Or you can take Metra or CTA.

There are many alternatives to paying the 20.

11. sachinag

sachinag New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO
    The Bears put up a ton of their own money and got a $100 million loan from the NFL for these renovations. The Fire put up nothing (except a promise to play in NSF, making it easier to justify renovations with more guaranteed dates), and got a much better lease agreement, with revenue from non-ticket sources. The Bears should be getting all the credit/press on NSF, because they put up the cash. Just be happy that the Fire have a good place to play and that they have it on good terms.

12. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

Even though this is already my modus operandi for S.F. games, this does not change the fact that $20 to leave ones car standing for a few hours in a spot is outrageous.

There is a difference between Bears fans (who, like other Chicago "Big 4" sports fans are immune to the mediocrity of their teams and will continue to pack the house) and Chicago soccer fans.

Our team is struggling to attract a larger number of fans each week so that it can reach financial wellness. A higher parking price, along with higher priced tickets and concessions, will not help tip the scales in favor of attending more games in the minds of many people, especially those lower-income fans our car-less friends fret about when new stadia locations away from public transportation are mentioned.

And forget about the other lots away from the stadium. Who can tailgate underground?

It's not a good idea is all I'm saying.

13. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Assuming all your points are valid, the fact is that we play there too. And that's what was being griped about. I don't think anyone is asking for credit on anything. It would just be nice to be recognized as a tenant of NSF. Because, regardless of anything else, we are.

Anyway, none of this has to do with parking costs at NSF. And Zach, 4 dollars is still cheaper then 8!! :D

14. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Agreed but I have a feeling this isn't a decision that is being made by anyone at the Fire so, what can you do?

15. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sheesh. That makes the $10 we pay at the Home Depot Center seems like a cup of coffee.

Do the Fire at least get any of the money from this, or does it all go to the city (or whoever controls SF)?

Just curious.

16. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    $20 is not a firm figure!!!

He said they are still Working it out, and his estimate was a guess. My guess is between $15 - $20. Probably $15. My main point is that he said, for sure it would be less than $35.

17. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Still a ton more than I ever paid at NCC ;)

18. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and it could be $22-$25

19. ianfan

ianfan New Member

Feb 17, 2003
    OKC
    Ouch!!

So you have to pay for parking, for your game ticket and then the outrageous amount for beer. That makes for an expensive outing. (or it would for me anyway)

20. Wolves1935

Wolves1935 New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Prospect Heights
    Beats NCC, though, right?

21. Mad Header

Mad Header Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Mt Prospect
    Re: Ouch!!

It's OK, because Steve doesn't mind.

22. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Put four in a car and pay $5 each. Or, take the train and pay $3 each and get drunk without having to drive.

If there were no other parking options because the stadium were in B.F.E. then $35 could be considered extortion. But, as long as other options exist, then I honestly don't care if they charge $50 per person in the car.

Park 'n Ride!

23. GoFireGo

GoFireGo New Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Chicago
    Excuse my suburbaness here but is there a bus from the train station to Soldier Field? Or at least something that is close?

24. Wolves1935

Wolves1935 New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Prospect Heights
    Feeling the love

You gotta think that the CTA and Metra are loving this.

25. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Re: Feeling the love

It would be $3.70 each way on Metra.

Some people don't mind adjusting their lives around railway timetables, other people do.