Will Mexico reach 2 decades of domination?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by billyboy23, Jan 21, 2013.

?

Will Mexico win 10 straight Concacaf Champion Leagues?

Poll closed Jul 20, 2013.
  1. Yes

96.7%
  2. No

3.3%
  1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on copa libertadores and CCL results, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Uruguay, Paraguay are very close to each other, so MLS would probably do as well vs top Colombian/Uruguay teams as MLS does vs Mexican teams.

Mexico is the 2nd or 3rd best paid league in CL. But recently Mexico has not been the 3rd best league.

So money is important but is not all.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a thread here that does this.

You may not like it but is the best we have over a 5 year span. It is not perfect, specifically since it does not change the number of teams from year to year.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well based on results, Canada should get more, so take 1 from the USA and giving it to Canada you would still end up with 5 MLS (Technically 2 non mls can/usa teams could win the spots).

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EvanJ repped this.
  5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Costa Rica and USA are pretty equal.

Based on CCL results is hard to make a good argument that one is better than the other IMO.

Not much difference in coefficients after last year.

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/concacaf-champions-league-coefficient.1187575/page-21

6. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    An MLS team would not reach the quarters of Libertadores.

It's called FOOTBALL and AMLO2018 repped this.
  7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes a Bolivian/Peruvian/Venezuelan team does make it out of the group, making the quarterfinals is more difficult, so would a MLS/Costa Rican team, just not very often. (I think only Bolivia makes quarters once in a while).

MLS#3/CR#3 would have a hard time making the group just like Peru and Venezuela #3.

8. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on Copa Libertadores results that past three seasons, Liga MX is better than everyone but Argentina and Brazil. Only in Brazil do players make more money.

The past three season (2013, 2014, 2015) points per game for each league:

Argentina 1.63
    Brazil 1.59
    Mexico 1.57
    Colombia 1.47
    Paraguay 1.40
    Bolivia 1.33
    Ecuardor 1.29
    Uruguay 1.24
    Chile 1.24
    Peru 0.93
    Venezuela 0.64

In the CONCACAF Champions League here are numbers:

Liga MX 2.29
    MLS 2.03 (includes Canadian teams)
    Costa Rica 1.84
    Guatemala 1.50
    Honduras 1.21
    Panama 0.67
    El Salvador 0.64
    Carib 0.39
    Nicaragua 0.33
    Belize hasn't played any games

I would rank the leagues in the Americas as follows:

Argentina
    Brazil
    Liga MX
    MLS
    Colombia
    Paraguay
    Bolivia
    Ecuador
    Costa Rica
    Uruguay
    Chile
    Guatemala
    Peru
    Honduras
    Venezuela
    Panama
    El Salvador
    Carib
    Nicaragua
    Belize

From top to bottom only Argentina, Brazil, and Liga MX are better than MLS. Overall quality of a league should be based on more than the top teams in the league. There are not many leagues around the world that are as competitive as they are in Argentina, Brazil, Mexico and MLS. Most are top heavy with 2-3 clubs dominating league play.

The bottom third in Liga MX and MLS are better than the bottom third in, say, Colombia. I would probably take the bottom half of Liga MX over the bottom half of the Argentine league (if it had 18 teams).

But to keep the thread somewhat on topic, I'll say again...the thread needs to be renamed "Will a Liga MX club win Copa Libertadores before a club from any CONCACAF league wins the CONCACAF Champions League?"

9. Neymadres

Neymadres Member+

Jan 29, 2013
    So CaL
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    MLS teams will get eaten alive if they ever played Libertadores. Its just a whole new beast compared to playing to playing teams in Central America and so on.

10. JRB92

JRB92 Member+

Sep 23, 2009
    The top teams from those leagues would destroy mls teams, especially at home.

11. Neymadres

Neymadres Member+

Jan 29, 2013
    So CaL
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Though i dont think well ever see a MLS team in Libertadores unless they start winning CCL titles left and right and surpass Mexican teams.

AMLO2018 repped this.
  12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any rank that has Argentina ahead of Brazil is wrong.

As I said over 5 years Colombia, Paraguay, Mexico, Chile, Uruguay are practically identical, so MLS/Costa Rica would not do as well as those leagues.

MLS/CR would fall somewhere between Ecuador/Bolivia and Peru/Venezuela.

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads...n-la-libertadores.526674/page-5#post-32175938

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said IMO MLS/CR would do as well as Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, Venezuelan clubs.

14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think MLS and Costa Rica are close enough together that there can't be four CONMEBOL leagues in between them. Assuming the CONMEBOL leagues are in the correct order relative to each other, I might move MLS down three spots so it went MLS, Ecuador, Costa Rica.

15. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    I hope you watch Wednesday's game to see if another step is taken towards that. It's gonna be pretty piff.

Also, people here need to keep in mind the fact that Mexico are not allowed to send their best teams to the Liberators of America Cup. So it's pretty much a wash in trying to compare it appropriately to the rest of South America. The Ferrari was disallowed from participating in this edition, and the next and previous, simply for being too good. Imagine if they did participate, who knows what would happen.

Neymadres repped this.
  16. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO you're incorrect

17. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think MLS and the Costa Rican league are close to each other. Alajuela, Herediano, and on their day Saprissa can win MLS. But, from top to bottom, a MLS team can win the Costa Rican league.

18. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've already said Liga MX doesn't send their best teams to Copa Libertadores. Well, that's if you think the league (with playoffs like MLS) consistently/actually sends their best team into the CONCACAF Champions League.

But like you imply, at best, the 5-7th best teams in Liga MX do very well against the top 1-3 (in the case of ARG/BRA 1-5/6) teams from the CONMENBOL nations.

Y0u've actually helped my case that Liga MX is easily the 3rd best league in the Americas.

Imagine if teams 1-4 got in the CL!?!

I would rather put money on a Liga MX winning Copa Libertadores before any team from a CONCACAF league winning the CCL.

I did watch the games the from this past week. Guarani looked horrible against River Plate. Tigres, definitely not the better side, looked better against Internacional.

I probably won't watch the River Plate game, but will most likely watch Tigres lose to Inter (goes against the Gold Cup semifinal that should/will have Mexico vs TnT).

Lastly, I'm assuming you're thinking Club America is a Ferrari.

Seriously?

Well, then I'm Ryan Reynolds.

If you said Audi, I'd let you slide.

19. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 Years?!? Most people change careers every five years. How much has a professional soccer team changed in five years? How long is a career in soccer (not five years)?

Oh, wait. You're one of those that will say the Costa Rican league is better than MLS because they won CCL a decade ago.

Well Uruguay has a better national team than Costa Rica because they've won two World Cups.

How do I make the face with the smirk and rolling eyes?

20. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well that was certainly more than a decade ago.:coffee:

21. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Not true, Mexico has been at the WC in those years while the others have watched from home.:coffee:

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link to where i said that.

The coefficient in this forum is what says CR and USA are very close to each other. The difference between CR and The USA is much smaller than the difference between the USA and Mexico.

5 years is used to smooth out how countries do well some years and bad some others.

FIFA uses 4 years for NTs

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We be talking club football son.

Mexico clubs do make the CWC, because of concacaf.

Put a Colombian club or Chilean club in the CCL and they would have a great chance on making the CWC.

* Mexico does have a handicap of sending the liguilla finalists to the CCL.

24. MK3owner

MK3owner Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Kissimmee FL.
    Club:
    Deportivo Toluca FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    We discussed those numbers already, holmes.
    That list is an even bigger joke than the current FIFA rankings? I literally LOLed when I read this. Its pretty evident you dont watch much Futbol outside of the MLS.

The MLS is clearly inferior to alot more than those 3 leagues. If its your opinion, thats fine, as absurd as it is. But you should state it as such.

Always talking about your "bottom third" like its your saving grace. Truth is, your top dogs, cant win anything internationally, how are your minnows better than other leagues minnows? Even if they're on par with the your best, that still means they're not that good. Its nothing but wild assumptions by you.

I think its a tossup between the Argentine leagues, bottom half and Liga MX. I might even say they're better, but that would just be an assumption.

You keep on harping on about , when will a Liga MX win a Copa Libertadores, as a subtle dig at Liga MX. If you're really that interested then start a thread.

LaMascara and It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  25. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Did someone really ranked Bolivian league better than uruguays?