Will John on trial in Denmark?

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by szazzy, Jan 24, 2008.

1. patodonnell39

patodonnell39 New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Kansas, USA
    Ceres, your arguments are laughable. You act like Denmark is this top league that is so far superior to MLS. It's not. I really do wish him all the best, but if he really was a primadonna, then the Wizards did the right thing. We want guys who are willing to work for it, and primadonnas with talent are a dime a dozen.

2. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i know you speak english as a second language much better than i speak ANY language as a second language, so this isn't meant as a personal attack or anything because i have nothing but respect for those who can speak multiple languages. this, however, is driving me insane. i'm pretty sure you're looking for the words "of course" when you say "ofcause."

3. Soccer7947

Soccer7947 Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Kansas
    ha ha ha... that was killing me as well... just sticks out and then I forget what he said...

4. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd direct you to the quote earlier from Will John himself... There is nothing to assume, because Will said "I wasn't treated the way I ... was told I would have been...", which pretty much ends the debate about whether he thinks he was lied to.

This is not the news media - god help us all if the shit that flies on BigSoccer were good enough to make it in the media - and there is only so much that can be done to try and man-manage (or coddle, you choose) the professional athlete that has such an inflated perception of his skills.

5. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps your english isn't as good as you think...

trend - n. 1: a line of general direction or movement <the trend of the coast turned toward the west>

One point (or one quote, in your case...) and certainly not a quote that has either been translated twice or completely fabricated by the PR director at Randers can barely be said to establish a trend.

6. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    If you want to start quoting, then please do it right :

"I was in a bad situation for two years. I wasn't treated the way I probably should have been and was told I would have been and this is the way for me to continue my career for the better."

Will John is only 22 and just had a bad few years sitting on the bench, so you cant really blame him for being disappointed... I'm also quite sure he was promised better times when he moved from Chicago Fire to Kansas City Wizards. Clubs do make promises when they want a player, you would have to be rather naive if you think otherwise. Though it may be that it was also Chicago Fire saying it would be better for him to make the move. It just didnt work for him, so now he feel that he probably was not quite treated the way he had been told he would be... No big mystery.. and quite predictable that Mr. Heineman now think of Will John as a disloyal employee.

However, from a European point of view Mr. Heineman look like a fool... as a club owner he should be more professional and try to act his age... It is always very poor man-management to single out and attack players like this in public. He may score a few cheap points among some supporters, but ther is always great risk that some players who knew Will John will be unhappy about this, so it is never good for the moral to act like Mr. Heineman... That is also why I said that Mr. Heineman should know better. but then club owners usually do not have a clue about man-management in a sports club, or how to handle the news media..

Ther are not 10 or 20 but more like 2.000 shareholders in my club, most of them being supporters and they dont get a chance to get together more than once or twice a year... and most surely not to respond to a player who is unhappy.. In a professional club it is the Sporting director and the coach job and responsibility to take care of the news media and man-management. It's not a job for club owners/shareholders or supporters who dont have a clue...

They actually show MLS games live on Danish TV, so I'm able to watch the MLS, while I doubt you have ever watched a single Danish league match... so I dont think you should be talking about guessing and being provincial. Infact the smaller the country, the less provincial you get, because ther is a bigger chance that you learn several languages and also get to watch and read foreign news on a regular basis..

@kcscsupporter + Soccer7947 + Roush...

I actually understand Norwegian and Swedish better than English... So I would say that English is my 4th language.... But you just keep poking fun at my 4th language, while not being able to speak a second language yourself.. It's a real "Heineman" :D .. (a 'Heineman' = New European word for a person who unknowingly seem to be making a fool of himself in public ;) )

7. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm not sure how they do things in Europe, but I am quite sure that I quoted him correctly. You see, when we condense quotes by removing the irrelevant items (as I did) we add ellipses to indicate that.

And you again should not be so quick to guess and assume things which you have no way of knowing. Ich spreche auch Deutsch.

8. toritoritorrence

toritoritorrence New Member

Sep 26, 2007
    the LX
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i actually agree with you.

i think club owners and anyone associated with managing players should definitely act more professional than the kids (relatively of course) that are employed by the club.

and in this case i dont think posting on a message board saying that you never want to see an ex-player again is very professional.

9. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW

this thread is ridiculous...we all wish will the best of luck, we all like our owners, we like the passion and fire our players, coaches, and owners bring to the table...yes it can backfire sometimes what RH said...this isnt one of them for us...there was not outcry from the players, and there probably wont be. most people like it when people in the organization is outspoken, thats why everyone loves listening to the Redsox/yankees revelry because they aren't afraid to speak their minds its what makes it fun and entertaining...

the first post on your use of the language was done with respect, we all know roush can come across as a jerk:rolleyes:, move on thanks for stopping if our news somehow misses info on him us know, we hope he succeeds.

10. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh if we are doing this

latinus lego

useful let me tell you boyo

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's funny that you now know exactly what he meant when he said that. Have you met him? To me, having played against John, and seen his attitude on the field, I read his statement as him being arrogant about the whole thing and he comes off as someone that is privileged and thinks he deserved to be playing more then he did. He's a skillful player, that I don't doubt, but his "skill" did not translate well to the game in MLS, the coaches saw that and that's why he didn't play much.

There is just as much a risk that John will black ball himself among teams around the league and world. Team's don't like ex-players talking bad about the club after they leave. John could very well have hurt his chances at other clubs with that statement.

12. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Ron Newman: Played with Portsmouth, Leyton Orient, Crystal Palace and Gillingham. He was the MVP of the Atlanta Chiefs of the NPSL in 1967 (a year before it became the highly successful, in its early years, NASL). Retired with a career coaching record (professional outdoor and indoor) of 753-296-27 and 13 championships.

Bob Gansler: Captained two U.S. Olympic teams and was capped 25 times by the U.S. National Team. He coached a group of college kids to be the first U.S. team to qualify for the World Cup since 1950 when they qualified in 1990. He then coached the 1990 U.S. World Cup team. Coached KC to an MLS Cup and a U.S. Open Cup.

The current head coach, Curt Onalfo, was an assistant on two World Cup teams.

The "third" head coach, in addition to Gansler and Onalfo, who left John on the bench also played in a World Cup and probably would have played in two had he not torn cartilage in his knee prior to the Cup. He also played with Energie Cottbus in Germany.

No playing/coaching pedigree here.

13. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ceres, please leave our forum

14. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006

I'm trying to stay out of this because it's getting sort of ugly in here, but MLS does not exactly give players coming up through the "system" a chance to decide whom they play with very often... <ehem> Super Draft.

15. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, please do. Your last post removed all doubt that you are trolling--no one is that thick about a quote that's really rather easy to interpret. Ironic really, your English was good enough to give you away. Now shoo.

EDIT: Wait a minute, that's what passes for a moderator on the Forum We Do Not Speak Of?

16. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, maybe you can explain that to Paige, she is planning on taking Latin next year.

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because the players sign with the league in MLS not a team. It's MLS' single entity. Players don't have to sign with MLS, and they know that when they sign with the league.

18. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'll start brushing up...what are the going rates for a tutor? 300 a season...ah i mean term:D

19. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    I understand this - I'm an MLS fan.
    I'm just saying that the comment was made that clubs and managers spend time recruiting players by introducing them to their individal clubs. A player like Marinelli would get this treatment. A player like Wil John, or other guys coming through the draft, do not have a choice what club they can sign with ... and they don't have a chance to play elsewhere unless their rights are traded.

I'm not saying this is good or bad. Just that the MLS draft is sort of equivalent to picking people up off the side of the street and putting them on teams. Most of these kids don't pan out anyway, so perhaps that's ok.

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, because the coaches and staff scout the college talent at the combine and at college games around the country. To be eligible for the MLS draft, a team has to shown interest in a player. So not really no.

21. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    now i regret trying to be respectful.

out of curiosity, ceres, why do you care about will john anyway? you don't even support randers?

22. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we all make mistakes :)

23. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    My last word here as it is not my forum (eek), but I'm not debating anything you guys and Ceres are saying.

I'm just pointing out that players do not have much freedom to shop around when they come out of the US system and the comment was made earlier that Danish directors spend time courting younger prospects (and someone else said that MLS does too). IF your name isn't Freddy Adu, Jozy Altidore, or anyone of that ilk, then it really is just a big lottery. Or... a draft.

These kids don't get control of their own destiny in the slightest.

That's a fact.

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, most of these players DO control their own destiny. 1) They don't have to play soccer. 2) The don't have to sign with MLS. Plenty of players today are able to find back door ways to get passports to go play over in England or other places in Europe. Heck Chris Konopka, our third string goalie last year just signed to play for an Irish premier club. Or there's Stephen Shirley, who we drafted in 06 who left and is playing in Scotland now. They certainly do control their own destiny.

But you're right in regards that once they sign with MLS they are in a big lottery, unless your name if Freddy Adu (Altidore was actually in the draft and taken in the second round). But all the players already know that when they sign a contract with the league.

So to say they don't get control of their destiny in the slightest is a flat out lie.

25. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Your quite right... Ther is a World of difference in how things are done both inside and outside the pitch in the US compared with Europe... Ther is no reason to deny this fact or get angry about this when it is discussed... But unfortunately it usually get ugly when the differences are being pointed out, so your either an arrogant European or some sort of Euro-snob who don't like MLS. To me it seems that some MLS supporters often are quick to get paranoid with the Bush way of thinking, that "you're either with us, or against us"...

If I'm not mistaken then Will John was a part of a swap deal between Chicago Fire and Kansas City Wizards ?..

Never the less, no matter what ppl want to belive in this forum, then I'm quite positive that Will John was told it would be better for him to make this move, and since he had already played some games (200 minutes) in the MLS for Chicago Fire, it seem quite obvious that he was told he also would get fair chance to prove his worth in the MLS for Kansas City Wizards... So the question is if Will John is not right about being disappointed and feel that this was not quite what he had been promised to sign up for, when he was only used 3 minutes in 2006 and 26 minutes in 2007 ?... Is that really getting a fair chance ?..

No matter if Will John is right to be disappointed, then Mr. Heineman quite clearly acted unprofessional. If he was the Chairman/President of a European club it would not make him look less unprofessional. It is the job of the manager/coach or the sporting Director to handle a situation like this. It's not up to the President/shareholders/Board of Directors or the Chairman of the Board to single out and attack players like this in public. Not only is this poor man-management, but if I was the coach or sporting Director I would kindly but firmly tell him to keep to his own business of making the club run financially and let the coach and/or Sporting Director do the job they are paid to do..

I was not really aiming at you, but I included you in the post because your the one who gave the other posters a "ball to run with"...

No I do not support Randers... but I think players should be treated fairly and I that club Board of Directors/Presidents should keep to their business..