Will Independence go after any Athletica players?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Independence' started by sarahpt, May 28, 2010.

1. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DiMartino is a great addition who should start in place of Lohman right away. I would have preferred they cut ties with a veteran like Danesha Adams or Lyndsey Patterson rather than release a rookie with potential like Patterson, who at 5-7 is the tallest forward on the roster and probably has more room to improve. But Riley and co. see these players in practice every day. Fletcher might be the next best addition because Mitts has been plagued with injuries all season long, Senty is no more than an adequate replacement and the other options are rookies. Miyami would also be an upgrade over Buczkowski but price point would seemingly be the key there.

2. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to get fletcher, it would be like "SOL East"

3. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    sb i think developmental...

4. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    They're getting someone. Philly's player personnel director is tweeting about it, but not spilling the beans.

5. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    can you post the tweet for that please?

6. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    GM_Terry_Foley Another new signing coming in today, can you guess who?

7. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Thanks! I don't have a link to Foley's tweets ... if you have that also.

8. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Well I hope it is Miyama

9. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    me too, although i saw at another forum that she may be going to atlanta!?

10. bekairos

bekairos New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    If the buzz is true:

Miyama -> Atlanta
    Fletcher -> SBFC (SBFC's GM just announced)

SBFC's GM told someone on twitter than Brittany Klein would be signing with someone, but he would not say who. Since they signed Fletcher instead, I'm betting Klein is off to Philadelphia.

11. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    that would also be good!

12. cmh329

cmh329 New Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foley posted that yesterday, no news as of yet who the signing is. Hope it is Miyama but doubt it.

13. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    sky blue signed fletcher, so basically klein looks like the only one left out there

14. cmh329

cmh329 New Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Foley's twitter page was deleted. Still no official announcement of the signing. Hmmm

15. CASK

CASK New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Looks like this thread has fizzled out. Not even any rumours out there.

Tina DeMartino sure was a great addition and even got on the Board her first time out.

Guess maybe Indy is done adding players for a while?

16. CASK

CASK New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This Saturday Indy will be short 4 internationals -
    Lianne Sanderson (England), Holmfridur Magnussdottir (Iceland), Caroline Seger (Sweden), Sara Larsson (Sweden)
    Allison Falk may be out with an injury, too.
    Wonder if they'll announce a new player at the game again.

17. CASK

CASK New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    From the WPS Transactions Report.
    July 15, 2010: The Philadelphia Independence waived Katherine Reynolds.

Anyone out there understand how this works? Waive a player after their contract hits guaranteed status (July 1)? Then what? Just pay them off?

Are they making room for someone? There were rumours floating around a few weeks back about other players that were about to be let go.

Yet nothing ever happened after their GM told us a new signing was imminent.

18. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

19. CASK

CASK New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Thanks RUfan - you had it right - Katherine was listed as developmental on the old website back in April.

Perhaps they don't really care to distinguish between a waiver or a release.

Either way, the question still remains if they're making room for someone...

20. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    According to Philly's website, Seger and Larsson were released back to Philly by the Swedish NT for today's game. So the Cheesesteaks won't be as short-handed as they could have been.

Reynolds being released does sound like they might bring in another player. It could be one of the girls who play for the Philly NPSL team and practice with the Independence, someone like Natalie Capuano. Or maybe they've got their eye on a player released by another team. I guess we'll see.

21. Del Piero 10

Del Piero 10 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    The player added to the team to replace Kat Reynolds is Kelly Henderson, one of their college draft picks who needed to finish school before joining the team. Interesting that they would drop a defender for a midfielder when the team is short of defenders and has an excess number of midfielders.

22. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Thanks for the info

23. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    Well, seven of their rostered players are listed as defenders (counting Lohman, who is listed as a D/M), and they have Frida listed as a forward, so that makes 8. Since defenders aren't substituted much, maybe one/game, I think they're deep enough there. And with their swarming, double-teaming midfield, those girls work hard--the extra fresh legs are handy --only 6 on the rosters are midfielders, so another one makes sense.

24. CASK

CASK New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Del Piero 10 [​IMG]
    The player added to the team to replace Kat Reynolds is Kelly Henderson, one of their college draft picks who needed to finish school before joining the team. Interesting that they would drop a defender for a midfielder when the team is short of defenders and has an excess number of midfielders.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

I have not seen any official word from the team about Kelly Henderson. She is not listed as a rostered player, nor is she listed under the WPS site under transactions (other than for being released back in April). She was listed as "not rostered" for last night's game.
    Sure would be nice if the team and/or the league could figure out how to better disseminate current information about players. Indy never even finished the descriptions of the players on their website. "Coming soon" is what it has said for most players since April.

25. Del Piero 10

Del Piero 10 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Independence waived Karina Maruyama today. New player coming in or is a developmental (Adams?) being moved up to the full roster?