Will Independence go after any Athletica players?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Independence' started by sarahpt, May 28, 2010.

1. sarahpt

sarahpt New Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Just wondering...:eek:

2. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Well the only thing I can say for certain is that Solo is out of the question unless we trade Karina.

On to the defense, we may need a true right back as I don't think Mitts is fully healthy for 90 minutes so we do need help at that position. Some one like Ellertson/Fletcher won't hurt.

We are also set in the mid field but an extra player won't hurt as people are getting injury all over the place. If it was me, I would go for Miyama as we are pretty week on the flanks. Boxx/Chalupny are out of the question as we have Seger/Lindsay.

I personally believe the Athletica player that would be signed first would be Aluko. The most logical team obviously is Atlanta to help Bachmann but if we can snatch her that would be awesome.

3. Hoover

Hoover New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    I think the obvious choice to pursue is Aluko as Indie could use some help in the final third. Second choice is Boxx who makes any team stronger but not direct need for Philly as Jen doing good job in that position.

Real question is how much salary cap room does team have and what type of contracts do existing internationals have (guaranteed or can they be cut if team brings on a new international?).

4. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Maruyama is the obvious cut here for the international spot. She has barely even played.

5. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    There is some speculation that the teams will get another roster spot for an international player, but the salary cap isn't going to be increased. That makes the scenario pretty complex, as teams will have to unload salary to bring on a higher-salaried player, like a Boxx, unless they've got a lot of cap room in the first place. I think Aluko's the big prize in this sweepstakes, but I have no idea where she fits on the salary spectrum. I don't see Philly going after a high-salaried player, but maybe looking for an upgrade in the mid-to-lower range, like Blank, Fletcher, or DiMartino (which would give them a sister act). But honestly, they've constructed their roster pretty effectively, so I also wouldn't be surprised if they stuck with what they've got. If they can get good value and an upgrade, they'll make a move. I would agree that Maruyama seems to be the most vulnerable of their internationals.

All I know is that the next week will be very interesting.

6. Del Piero 10

Del Piero 10 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Solo, Aluko and Ellertson to Atlanta. Boxx likely going to Gold Pride. Miyama possibly to Sky Blue. Chalupny looking at Boston and Atlanta. Philadelphia's big announcement? Louise Waxler is taking over as GM. Terry Foley moves to Director of Player Personnel so he can spend more time with his youth club, FC Virginia.

7. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Wow, thats all I can say. After watching the game on sunday, we definitely need some help and everything has been quiet so far.

8. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Tarpley is still out there and I desperately hope we get her because that is our weakness! But if we don't get some help up front it is going to be a long season.

9. GMPhilly

GMPhilly New Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Club:
    We are working hard to try and bring in some more talent, Salary cap numbers play a big part in what we can and cannot do. As fans please be assured we are doing the best we can and working hard for the cause. It is a shame the St Louis situation is about totally change the look of the league.

10. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Thanks for your quick response. I've found the Philly organization to be very prompt in responding to fan's concerns, and it is greatly appreciated. I think we all agree that it was a very sad day to hear about St. Louis. I think, as fans, we also recognize how difficult it can be for the remaining teams to incorporate new, bigger (perhaps) salaries into the mix, and what that means for the owner(s). But we love the Independence and are also concerned about keeping the mojo going!! You all are really doing a great job!!!!

11. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching this weekend's game against the Freedom, it is clear the Independence need some help. The keepers and defense are more than solid. They are lacking a top finisher up front and skill in the midfield. Riley has nice system but he hyped Seger and to a lesser extent Magnusdottir as being highly skilled players and all they have done is lead the WPS in fouls committed -- Magnusdottir has 14 and Seger 12. No goals or assists between them. And A Rod has had trouble finishing without a dominating partner up front.
    So when looking at what's available from the Athletica, it looks like Atlanta has already gobbled up Aluko and from reading the tealeaves in GMPhilly's post, Tarpley could be too pricey. I agree with Moog up thread that they should then try and bring in some of the more moderately priced talent like DiMartino (who Riley has coached) and Blank (who might already have a deal with Atlanta). There is some dead weight that could be moved off the roster to make room.

12. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    I would second the comments about Seger and Magnusdottir. I was not impressed with either on Sunday, especially Seger's bad sportsmanship display. I was surprised by how the team did not seem to keep Arod in the play much.

13. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Well, the team HAS tried to get Arod involved, but she has not been able to do anything with it. You can't get a much better setup than what Lindsey gave her (the one-on-one with the goalie) and she shanked the ball!! She's really gotta do better. Also, she seems incapable of making her own shot, instead she depends on others to set her up.

14. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    I agree that Lori fed her a beautiful ball.

15. Del Piero 10

Del Piero 10 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Signings this week:
    Atlanta - Solo, Aluko, Ellertson, Chalupny, possibly Blank
    Gold Pride - Boxx
    Washington - Harris
    Sky Blue - Panico
    Chicago - nothing yet but they waived Dieke so somebody's coming
    Boston - placed Walsh on IR so somebody may be coming
    Philadelphia - nothing but the sound of crickets chirping

With Seger suspended 2 games and World Cup qualifiers approaching (Seger, Larsson, Magnusdottir & Sanderson will all be missing multiple games), this was the perfect opportunity to add depth to the roster. I hope we don't look back at this week as the beginning of the end of the Independence's road to the playoffs.

16. GMPhilly

GMPhilly New Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Club:
    Del Peiro,
    We continue to work hard to add depth to our roster. We thought we had Aluko but she chose Atlanta over Philly. We just missed out on another of these players but it was not for want of trying. We are trying to bring another couple of players in and an announcement will be made soon.
    Terry

17. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at the Philly roster. I'm guessing you're pretty close to the salary cap--depends on who has guaranteed contracts. There are still a couple of folks out there that would improve a WPS roster. Tarpley, Weber, and Fletcher spring immediately to mind.

18. Del Piero 10

Del Piero 10 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    If they thought they had Aluko, there must be something they can do to fit new players under the cap. I'm guessing Tarpley is going to Boston and Asante to Chicago. No idea what's going on with Miyama. Less expensive options DiMartino, Fletcher and Weber are all upgrades over some of the players on the current roster.

19. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Confirmed - Tarpley is headed to Boston!!! COME ON PHILLY!!! You gotta do something!!! NOW!!!!! All of the best players are now gone and we've got squat!

20. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    I'd be going after Miyama hard if I was Philly. As well as trying to snag dimartino and fletcher.

21. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I know right:(. I keep expecting them to make an announcement but nothing. How is it Atlanta was able to sign 3 high profile players on monday and its thursday and we haven't sign anyone yet:confused:

22. Del Piero 10

Del Piero 10 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Per tweet from GMPhilly, the Independence will sign at least one player, but hopefully two, by the end of the weekend. I'd love to get Miyama but would be happy with 2 of DiMartino, Fletcher and Weber.

23. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Saturday night and still nothing, this is a long waiting game. I would personally release Maruyama and sign the two internationals miyama and asante.

24. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    They should go after Brittany Klein, who Chicago let go!

25. Del Piero 10

Del Piero 10 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Tina DiMartino announced at half-time as the newest member of the Independence. She was not in uniform. I'm guessing Carrie Patterson will be the player released since I didn't see her at the game today. Someone will need to be dropped to developmental.