Will Houston have a new soccer specific stadium before DC United?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The way AEG talks ... I'm thinking they will.

2. mayorofarlington

mayorofarlington New Member

May 13, 2005
    Arlington/Montreal
    Is AEG still trying to sell the team? Or now that they're in Houston, they're willing to keep it for a while? I think the ownership situation will determine the progress of an SSS, but I think DC is still ahead in the game.

3. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Ben & Jerry's. Yum. Anyway, AEG may be the spawn of the devil (at least on the San Jose boards) but they know their business. I would be willing to bet that most of the SSS deal is already done. The last couple of teams that they sold (Colorado and DC), both immediately started working on stadium deals. I don't think that was a coincidence. I guarantee you the groundwork has been laid.

4. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    I'm a Rocky Road man myself, which is fitting in this case as I think that is the state of the path that our SSS is following until ground is broken.

-dave

5. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I actually don't like ice cream as much as some. But that's how I voted.

6. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    How come I can only choose one option?

7. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Are you in Florida?

8. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Whoa whoa, Knave started a poll?!

I think Skip and I have won. :D

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    It was the booze.
    NEVER! :p

10. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I think they won't because from what I'm hearing, their deal at Robertson Stadium is a pretty nice alternative to having a SSS now.

Of course having your own SSS is always a top priority, but Robertson is a butt nice stadium. The only bad thing is that Field Turf is going to be installed (again from what I hear) and that probably means permanent gridiron lines on the field.

I really do think United will have a deal in place to have shovels in the dirt before the 3 year stadium deal is up in Houston.

11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Sure. But it's not owned and operated by AEG. And I'm thinking AEG's main reason for moving the Quakes to Houston was because it gave them an excuse to build a stadium there.

12. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech

AEG is also in the entertainment biz, and they're looking at other places to have concerts and what not, their goal is to make money, and they know they can make more in houston than in sj off concerts since the market is larger in houston

13. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005
    houston moushin...who cares, DC, when is it getting their stadium (ward 8) built or is it still being discussed on whether to build it by politicians?

14. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because of the all the negative press about the Nationals stadium (city eats cost overruns, etc.), I can't help but think that getting a SSS built will be harder than it should be. This is DC, where the facts have little to do with anything. Hopefully the city will use United's approach as a counterpoint to how MLB is giving DC the "high hard one" on stadium construction.

15. b1968k

b1968k New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Logan Circle, DC
    I don't think the baseball mess will slow it down much - in fact, if it is pretty much private financing, the SSS may get pushed through as an example of how these deals should be done.

On another note, I am not certain, but I checked out the budget reconcilliation bill that the house passed this morning and it looks like the Pombo provisions have been stricken in conference. I'll check again when the full report becomes available, but that would be good news.

16. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston will have a SSS before we do because they don't have to deal with the tangled mess that is DC politics. Factor in the ill-will sure to be generated by the baseball stadium, and it's going to be a LONG time before we get ours.

17. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    The old "House of Reps could jeopardize SSS" thread is around here somewhere. Anyway, I'm pretty certain the House passed the Budget Reconciliation bill last night or at some point over the weekend when no one was paying attention.

I assume (at least I never heard otherwise) that it still includes the Pombo provisions that would direct the Fed govt to sell the Poplar Point lands to the private sector. It's not necessarily a killer (it won't become law until its gone through conference and signed by the President) but it could complicate things and make them more difficult.

Just another illustration of the many potential hurdles that can spring up in the DC area.

Good luck to Houston.

18. DeKo21DCU

DeKo21DCU New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    VA
    Mint chocolate chip.

19. Big Roy

Big Roy Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    I was going to vote for DC getting their stadium first, but then I saw option #3.

Chunky Monkey

20. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Heavenly Hash

21. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dove Chocolate Bars.

22. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Gelato kicks ice cream's ass.

23. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Disagree. They're different food groups, and I love them both.

If any of you happen to come to Annapolis, visit a little restaurant on the harbor called Aromi D'Italia. Great, great gelato.

24. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Oh yes. An excellent finisher after a nice platter of crab cakes...