Will Henry and Trezugret ever become the pair they should?

Discussion in 'France: National Teams' started by BED-STYPUNDIT, Dec 28, 2005.

1. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston
    With the way David is playing at Juve this season and despite his and Aresnal's dip in form, will these two finally make magic happen consistently at next year's World Cup or will be a change in plans?

2. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    they havent played very well as a pair in the past. Henry-Anelka up front seems to have more potential with Trez as a sub.

3. AcMilan-Barcelona

AcMilan-Barcelona New Member

Dec 24, 2005
    which posses a dilema for you guys because Trez is in fine form same as Henry and Anelka. I don`t know if you can play all three at once. What is the status of Pires, i hope he makes the team.

4. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Thats the type of dilema that Im sure Domenech would prefer to have: all of the available strikers firing on all cylinders.

I think Trez will be used a lot though depending on the opponent. He's great in the air unlike Henry and that can be exploited against shorter teams

5. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes Trez, and Henry have been very dissapointing.... World and European champions, and they will finish their careers 1 and 2 in international goals for France. Pathetic....

6. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Those are their numbers as a pair? because individually they are both around 30 goals each for France.

7. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    International Goals for France

1)Platini 41 goals
    2)Henry 31 goals
    --Trezeguet 31 goals
    4)Papin 30 goals
    5)Zidane 28 goals

8. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    what have been the best pairings in recent history for France then? does anyone know?

9. navid90

navid90 New Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Valencia, California
    what's so bad about Trezeguet as a Striker postion and henry supporting on the left hand side and cisse or anelka support on the right hand side

10. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Henry-Anelka looks very interesting considering the versatility of the later. He can run or be the target man ; of course, most of the choice made will be related to the current state of form closing on the competition.

11. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The way things have gone, we can expect either Trez or Henry to be hurt/unavailable during at least some point in the WC... Hence Anelka... :)

12. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    :eek:

Or Cisse.... :)

13. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    not all three at once. but to win a WC it's 2 matches a week for a month. even w/o injuries you need some depth.

neither cissé or anelka are used to that role, and in any case, could hardly do it as well as wiltord or govou.

to get back to the main question, henry and trez have turned in a couple of stunning performances in the past, although not yet when the chips are on the table...

14. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I think this could be Henry's tournament playing in blue. I think that goal against Ireland really made a positive impact on his psyche and we might just see the Henry that plays for Arsenal. If this happens France may just go pretty far because up till now the defence has been holding up well.

15. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    So long as Jean-Alain "I'm freaking ********" Boumsong is nowhere near the field, I think the back 4 will be fine.

Sagnol---Thuram---Gallas---Abidal/Evra

Reveilliere covering on the right if Sagnol is out.

16. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Yeah. Definately the idea is to have Gallas in his favorite position. Somehow I see it happening with all the hype surrounding Evra now, and if Abidal is healthy too.

Now if we could just get Ribery in the line-up the attacking machine could really start to purr. :cool:

17. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    --------Makalele----Vieira

-------------------------------Ribery
    ------Zidane

I would see Ribery with a polyvelant role where he could occupy either the right or left wing. But seeing that Sagnol has been effective at occupying the entire right corridor, I think this formation would work best in midfield.

18. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Hmmmm. Lets stick Franck on the right and Thierry on the left. Henry is best from deep, that gives Franck freedom to roam either side as you say which is where he can cause teams problems. Zizou must play the playmaker role behind the front-line.

Effectively it looks like a 4-2-3-1 but changes into a 4-2-1-1-2 / 4-2-2-2 formation...

The ideal lineup would be like;

Coupet

Sagnol---Thuram---Gallas---Evra/Abidal

Makelele-----Vieira

Ribery--Zizou--Henry

Trez​

Effectively, Ribery plays the Pires/Wiltord role. Henry cannot play that advanced and must play deeper and wide out, drifting inside. Les Bleus do not employ the same system as Arsenal do. When Thierry bursts forward, Franck can drift out to this side to support him, or stick on the natural right hand side. The only problem I have with this system is that Abidal must be favoured over Evra, because Patrice is more attack-minded and is less likely to cover the left side.

19. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes, This works too.

20. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    pretty well thought out formation. the key is to get the balance right between henry and ribery

21. willimans

willimans Red Card

Jan 12, 2006
  22. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Does anyone know where i can get some highlights or info on Ribery's play? I have never seen him

23. ilv2

ilv2 New Member

May 30, 2004
    L'abbaye de Leffe
  24. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's annoying.

Few seasons ago we had the same thing with Kluivert and van Nistelrooij, back then two of the best strikers in Europe but couldn't play together.