Will He Stay, Will He Go .. Where He Ends I Do Not Know - The Tranfer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by MVF, May 18, 2008.

1. Manchester City

Jun 17, 2007
    Zaragosa, Spain
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Per the email I just received from MCFC.co.uk

"MCFC Newsflash!

City have signed Gareth Barry go to mcfc.co.uk >

This email was sent by: Manchester City Football Club Ltd
    City of Manchester Stadium, Sport City, Manchester, M11 3FF, UK"

Rapido. My head is spinning. I still am trying to fathom his place in our line-up. It has to change quite a bit or other players than we imagine are going to be sold this summer.

2. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! I didn't see that one coming. :eek:

3. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Dunnes' age is catching up, actually it has for awhile, but Kompany is much better as a CB, and with him, onuaha (sp?) and dunne, CITY now have options, depth , quality all around.

Richards can play RB & CB as well.

Barry, de jong, and ireland as a midfield trio is as strong IMO as any of the Top midfields in World football ATM.

Great purchase by none other than MARK HUGHES.

Give him time.

4. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So much for all his "I want to go somewhere that I can play European Football" bullshit. I could have accepted a move to Highbury or Anfield and wished him well except for his two matches against the Villans. Nothing against your team, but after hearing him telling Randy Lerner, Martin O'Neil, and any media outlet that would listen, this for two years all i can say is good riddance, douchebag.

5. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Do you disagree that in time we will play European Football HHM ?

Just because were not there this year, doesn't mean we won't be there in the future. He obviously see's the plan that Hughes is putting together, and it is more ambitious than AV's. End of story.

6. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Maybe Diego Forlan at Manchester City? That could be fun.

De Jong----Ireland----Barry
    SWP----Forlan----Robinho

De Jong--Barry
    SWP----Ireland----Robinho
    Forlan​

7. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What will Aston Villa acomplish next season? do you know that to win the Europa league, you must navigate an extra 18-19 games? Do villa have the squad to compete for the league, fa cup, new uefa cup format? NO and NO.

He would be stupid to stay at Aston Villa, get 1 year OLDER with no contract.

People need to realize that G. Barry does NOT owe any of You Anything.

He has his own interest, and those of his family to look after before anything else.

Loyalty issues are Long gone. Remembering Maldini is something we should al do and cherish because his kind are LONG gone.

8. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have an issue with his 'loyalty' and I don't believe that he owes Villa anything. My problem is him saying "I want to play in Europe" and then going somewhere with a lesser chance of doing that in the next three years than he had with Villa. Had he said "I want a big money contract and Villa isn't going to give it to me," I would harbor no ill feelings towards him.

9. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes, but had he said that he wants to go, His transfer fee- which benefits Your club Aston Villa and there future buys - would have Severely Shrunken. In a way, all parties involved win here.

Now, to address his plea of wanting to play european football, and your claim that he has a less chance at City than A.V is abit far fetched IMHO.

I like Villa, so don't get me wrong, but Everton comfortably beat them to 5th. Spurs will be Spurs and spend another 50 million. Even pompey are throwing the bags of gold around now.

All these teams means more and more competition, not only in the league, but also in the group of players that mid-table clubs go after. So, if Villa can't keep a player like gareth barry, then who can they keep or sign?

10. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't realize that a 1 point margin (63 vs. 62) on the season's last day is beating a team "comfortably" but no matter. Fact of the matter is that Villa has finished an average of 3.3 spots (3, 3, and 4) higher than City for the last three years and will be playing in a European competition for the third straight season. I know you folks have an owner that likes to throw money around, but has it really gotten you anywhere? We may be more frugal, but we make it count. So, in reality what this comes down to is you feel like I'm whining because we lost a good player. I guess I am. But I feel that we were lied to by said player and that's where my resentment comes from. And that's true as well.

Either way, I've taken up way too much of your board with my rantings, so I'll be off. Good luck.

11. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I have been saying for a long time, Forlan is the best player in La Liga. I'm surprised that no one related to man city wants Luis Suarez :( He such a great player.

12. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Yeah he's going to be expensive for whoever goes for him, but Man City can certainly afford him. There haven't been any rumors floating around that I have seen. I'll be happy to keep him!

13. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    AC Milan was willing to pay more then 30 millions for him.

14. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I mean Suarez not Forlan.

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Let's keep it that way!! :p

16. BuzzLives!

BuzzLives! New Member

Apr 24, 2004
    WDC
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal.com is reporting that Tevez has signed for City....can anyone confirm?

17. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It isn't confirmed yet, Goal.com is the internet equivalent of an English newspaper, lots of sensationalism and rumour mongering.

18. Manchester City

Jun 17, 2007
    Zaragosa, Spain
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I may have missed it, but I went by there after reading that comment and I think they may have removed the confirmation from the site, anyway.

Sky Sports does have these today, though. Again, like so many have pointed out, just conjecture, but interesting nonetheless:

Luisao admits City appeal

Toure's agent in Barca blast

19. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hughes should pounce on these opportunities. If he could capture one of those two it would be a great boost to our defense.