Will He Stay, Will He Go .. Where He Ends I Do Not Know - The Tranfer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by MVF, May 18, 2008.

1. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Corluka played close to 40 games for us. Zabaleta hasn't done that much yet. I can't completely disagree with you, because I need to observe Zabaleta for at least 10 more games.

2. Lynne_mcfc

Lynne_mcfc New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    GTA, Canada
    So far, I'm not that impressed by Zabaleta, even before the Liverpool match. Less after the Liverpool match where he couldn't seem to get the better of Riera. I too need to see him in a few more matches.

I'd like to see Nedum Onuoha figure more in the first team, he has to keep injury free though, something that he's not been able to do for the last couple of seasons. He battles back to fitness, then suffers another injury. :mad: I hope that MH can find a regular place for him.

3. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Ned is a good little player, is a top-notch back up in a number of possies if he can get his fitness right.

As for Corluka, how well is he doing for the Spurs now ? Zabaleta is adjusting to a new team, a new league and a whole new style of play. He is tight in the defence, and good going forward. Whenever i think of Charlie tackling .. I think of that half-hearted effort vs Spurs which lead to a goal. Zabaleta will be a lynchpin in the side, just you wait.

4. CityBlues

CityBlues Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am reserving judgement on Zabaleta for another few games. I think he does need an adjustment period, but I also think we haven't quite seen enough of him to make a snap judgement as to his quality. Give it some time, I think he has a lot of potential.

5. thecitizen

thecitizen Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Zaba is just learning the English game. His aggresiveness works well in it and I think in time he will improve his tackling and we will more than likely have a strong right side. (He combines well with SWP, who has pace, and he has strength.)

I would just like to see one of these Bundesliga stars transfer over. My philosophy is that players from the Bundesliga, La Liga, SuperLiga, and Eredivise all adjust to the English game and become stars. Only Serie A is the biggest producer of flops to the English game (right now, I hate to admit it but I think it is the worst league out there. Tottenham slaughtered Roma and they are in last place in the English league while Roma is at the top of Serie A...and let's not forget how many times Roma has gotten run ragged by Man U. No offense Roma fans.)

Players like Podolski and Lahm will adjust and I know it. Both of these players are more than possible to sign and I could really see Podolski joining (seeing as Munich likes to bench him so much, he is a respectful player to smaller clubs and I don't think he would turn us down).

6. Kulspruta

Kulspruta New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    BH, Brazil
    Club:
    Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Right now, I'd say Cassano is just as good as Robinho.

7. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    nah robinho is a little better then him

8. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I wouldn't mind an Italian defender or two though ..

9. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Wait and see is the key here. However, Corluka's team isn't exactly full of stars, so he isn't exactly playing with the best, which could affect his performance. PZ has higher expectation. The guy's playing with Dunn and Richard and with much better midfielders than the Spurs. I really hope PZ steps up and makes an impact, but only time can tell.

10. thecitizen

thecitizen Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumours say that we are now looking at Vagner Love, Jo's striking partner at CSKA Moscow. He is 24 years old and is said to score a goal in every 2 or 3 games. I find this speculation pretty attractive. Imagine Jo, Vagner Love, Robinho, and Elano all linking up.

Sprinkle Sprinkle. I see some Brazilian magic comin our way if that happens.

11. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Vagner Love is fine. However, I was hoping to replace the likes of Vedran Corluka and injurred Martin Petrov by then. There's also rumours of Owen from New Castle and Zaki from Wigan. I don't think Wigan will give up Zaki, but Owen is highly likely. Podolski was also mentioned a few months ago as he is unhappy at Bayern Munich. Additionall, I don't think MH is going to give up Santa Cruz from his old club. Tons and tons of speculations.

12. thecitizen

thecitizen Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I officially am irate. Aston Villa and Chelsea are trying to poach Sturridge off of us. Hands off EVERYONE! Sturridge isn't going anywhere anytime soon, especially with Hughes the Contract Renewal Hero. We tied up Michael Johnson, Joe Hart, Richard Dunne, Micah Richards, and soon we will tie up Sturridge also.

It really makes me mad though that teams think they can still cherry pick from our wonderful academy.

13. Lynne_mcfc

Lynne_mcfc New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    GTA, Canada
    Take the compliment, our Academy is 2nd to none. Who are Aston Villa and Chelsea anyway? Sturridge wouldn't want to leave the star-studded arena he's playing in to go to either of them, but he'll be basking in the attention (and quite rightly too). MH will want to 'bring him along' (and the other Academy players) and give him every chance he can to get on the pitch. I'm sure Sturridge has taken note of what happened to SWP and how much he was in the wilderness for the time he was with Chelsea.

14. vbr~

vbr~ New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    The City squad really needs a shake-up in January I think, the performances against the gritty sides (Boro, Bolton, Wigan) have been shocking at times.

In the January window I think we need:

A proven goal-scorer at the top level to finish off all the chances we create;
    Jo is promising, but obviously not the full package yet. He's got the height, strength and pace, but from watching the games he needs to work on his first touch, finishing when he gets his chances and his ability in the air. He could be a good target man to link the play if he improves his first touch, it lets him down a lot at the moment. All the right ingredients, just needs to develop as a player over the seasons for City.
    Bojinov also looks promising, but that's two seasons in a row he's going to be out for, can't be waiting forever for him.
    Benjani injured also, don't think he's the right man for City's attacking style, but when he gets fit again hopefully he'll get a few games when he's back and chip in with some goals.
    Vassell is alright, works incredibly hard for the team, but he needs to score a lot more if he's going to be the lone striker in the system Hughes has going at the moment.
    Evans and Sturridge look promising too, but see my comments about Jo for these two. Ones for the future.

A quality centre-back;

Dunne has been good for us the past few seasons, but this season and towards the end of last he's really been looking a shadow of his former-self. Positioning and pace has gone and he's been poor in the majority of our games.
    Richards is one of the most promising centre-backs in the league, but his form has kind-of dipped this season, hopefully he'll pick up soon as we need to grind out a good run of results.
    Ben-Haim has looked completely out of his depth in the team and in the Premiership, don't know why Hughes keeps playing him at CB. I don't rate him at all, but I guess it was a cheap-buy for some cover, but even when he has covered he has been rubbish at best.

A defensive-minded left-back with good attacking ability when required;

Garrido looks alright on occasion, but I think we need someone of better quality down the left defensively considering we have Robinho ahead of him to help cover the left-flank.
    Glauber hasn't played but has been on the bench, so I don't know what to make of him.
    Ball is an alright left-back, but nowhere near good enough for where we want to take the team over the coming years.

An experienced defensive-minded midfielder;

Kompany looks fantastic, but is young and I think we need experience in that area with good passing skills and someone who works hard to break up play and spray some passes out to the wings.
    Hamann is getting old and I think this should really be his last season in the first-team setup.
    Gelson Fernandes isn't really a defensive-minded midfielder but it could work if Hughes decides to shake it up and give him a start over Kompany.

A backup keeper for Hart;
    Can't rate Hart highly enough, but I don't think Schmeichel is that decent if Hart were to get injured or become unavailable, so it's good to have a quality keeper in reserve and keep Hart on his toes if his place was up for grabs.

15. Lynne_mcfc

Lynne_mcfc New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    GTA, Canada
    I think it's more likely that we'll see these positions filled in the summer. Unless a club and player are really unhappy with each other, the January window will be firmly shut.

16. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I'd say we buy back Vedran Corluka at a discounted price. Heck, the Spurs are facing relegation, they better dump some salaries in case they get relegated.

17. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Lynne_mcfc

Lynne_mcfc New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    GTA, Canada
  19. Sinstar

Sinstar Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm really interested to see what Man City will be like next year. I think SERIOUS title contenders.

You guys are linked with boatloads of players, including Ronaldinho, Lisandro Lopez, Drogba, and Roque Santa Cruz.

20. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    and they will respond the same way kaka did.

21. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, okay. RSC was practically begging to join us in January. Drogba is a mercenary and if Chelsea are willing to sell, he'll follow the scent of money. Ronaldinho is almost done as a player but not as a superstar, thats the only reason we'd sign him and he would come for a payday, he almost did at the end of last season. Many players will say "yes" to City, not all, but you make it sound like everyone is a Kaka (who, btw, almost came too, but Bellasconi bottled under fan pressure).

22. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Who do you want for Man City?

23. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Who do I want? At this point I'm not overly fussy after seeing some of our woeful performances. Some examples of names I'd like to see here are Taiwo, Lahm, Gomez, Vagner Love, Villa, Glen Johnson, Ramos, Zhirkov, Kolo Toure, Hangeland, Chielleni, Puyol, Tevez, Chivu, Nesta.

Obviously not all of them but an example of players I'd love to see here, I'm sure a few like Puyol wouldn't want to move but we could easily make our move for the likes of Taiwo (who wanted to come here), Gomez, Gonzalo, Zhirkov, and Hangeland. We signed Robinho and out of all of those, who is a bigger global footballing name? Villa and Tevez (wants to stay in England and if not Man U, it'll be us or Liverpool), maybe?

24. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Gomez won't happen. Tevez will most likely land with Real Madrid. Puyol won't leave Barca. Chielline? not in a million year, he is a lock in Juventus.

25. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Tevez has turned down an approach from Real this season as he'd prefer to stay in England. He loves Manchester and that gives City a look-in.

Why is Gomez not an option? He plays for Stuttgart for crying out loud. We signed Robinho from Real Madrid, Elano from Shakthar Donetsk, Kompany and de Jong from Hamburg, and we can't sign Gomez (a flop so far on international stage, great at club level) from Stuttgart if we don't have Man U and Chelski to compete with? Lets see what happens if we offer Stuttgart some pocket money, lets say 20 mil, giving Gomez the chance to play in the biggest league in the world for the most promising upcoming team in said league alongside internationals like Robinho, Elano, de Jong, Kompany, and Wright-Phillips. This isn't a David Beckham we're talking about.