Will Hartman ever get to Europe?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by roarksown1, Sep 12, 2003.

1. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the fact that Kevin "El Gato" Hartman has been one of the most solid GK's in the history of MLS, amassing one of the best GAA's along the way, plus many wins and an MLS Cup, plus an All-Star performance that was pretty great, when will he be the next US keeper selected to play somewhere in Europe?

It's not like it's out of the realm of possibility...how old is he, anyway? 28? 29? I think that it's just a matter of time - if Joe Cannon can get a contract out there, so can El Gato, but I think he'll be first choice (depending on where he goes).

I would like to see him stay with the Galaxy of course, but logic would seem to dictate that a Euro club should come calling in the near future.

Any thoughts or arguments?

2. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    He's awesome. But he might be right where he needs to be.

Can't be bad to be the King of the HDC.

3. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    He's good enough. He's big and strong on crosses (MLS variety of course. Unlike Howard who already had enough international games before MU decided he was ready.) I think he's just as good as a shot stopper as Howard is. He just needs to become more conservative in his approach to the game. Less flash and reduce his boneheaded mistakes. I'm sure more money will make him change his style fast.

4. aorig

aorig New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    I wouldn't go that far.

5. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hartman may go to Europe, but may return to the States a la Joe Cannon.

6. Kronos

Kronos Member

Sep 11, 2002
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Hartman is good enough to play in one of the big Europe Leagues. Norway, Scotland, or Denmark might be a better fit for him.

7. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think sooner or later Hartman will go to Europe.
    After all, there are some really cheap off-peak season fares on British Airways, and he can probably afford a ticket even on an MLS salary.

8. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hartman might be the Jason Kreis of MLS goalkeepers ... really good in MLS but not quite good enough to make the transition, successfully, to Europe.

9. Hoje

Hoje New Member

Jun 9, 2003
    LA
    We should not even entertain the thought of Hartman going to Europe. What would we do without him? Most importantly, he looks very southern californian.

10. LLCOOLJEW

LLCOOLJEW New Member

Aug 5, 2003
    So Cal
    I agree with this. Hartman is the perfect keeper for LA. Let him stay here and continue his success until he decides to retire. We saw what happened to Cannon. He left and didn't even make it on the pitch, sure he made some cash in the 6 or so months he was in France.... but he's back now, and in Colorado, still... sitting on the bench. I'd love to make claims that Hartman is as good as Howard... but I don't think he is. I do however think that if he keeps his current form we could see him playing for the Nats again, especially seeing as Rimando hasn't shown much this year, he is really only behind Adin Brown. Lets hope he continues his stellar year and beats out this Onstad character for keeper of the year!

11. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Just for the record, Cannon got sc-rewed by MLS and the Quakes. here's an article that discusses it.

http://quakemagic.matchnight.com/qmdefault.cfm?page=ARTICLE&show=264

nice name, btw! ;)

12. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    i don't think that's getting screwed by the league. it's not nice, but that's the real world. according to cannon he thought he was worth between $110 and $120 grand a year. the quakes came up with a counter of $125, cannon got greedy and went for money and potential glory in europe and it didn't work out.

if san jose really meant that much to him, he would have said "yeah i can make more money in france, but my heart is in... san jose". let's face it, $125,000 a year is more than enough for anyone to live on even in california.

13. LLCOOLJEW

LLCOOLJEW New Member

Aug 5, 2003
    So Cal
    I'd take it!

14. KAESO

KAESO New Member

Nov 5, 2000
    San Gabriel Valley
    The Galaxy without Hartman would be right behind Dallas this year. Hartman is great for L.A. and for MLS, unfortunately I don't think he has what it takes to make it in Europe. His footwork is a dead giveaway.

OTOH, I've always thought Howard was overrated, but it wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong.

15. Gooner

Gooner New Member

Dec 23, 2000
    Soccer City
    I think we will see Hartman either in Mexico (likely - as more than a few Mexican teams have seen his play) or Germany (the best league that an American with almost no national team experience is likely to break into in Europe) in a little over a year's time. I am sure he would love to stay with the Galaxy but even for a keeper he is getting to an age that does not allow the luxury of assuming there is another chance to sign for big money down the road.