Will Hahnemann get a game?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by RoyalMan, May 30, 2003.

1. RoyalMan

RoyalMan New Member

May 18, 2002
    Reading
    Evening people. A delighted Reading fan here. Great to see MH make the squad as he could become our first player to play an international off any real meaning (even though it is just the Confederations Cup) for the first time in a few years. Ironically our last player to play a meaningful international was another GK, Bobby Mikhailov who played for Bulgaria in Euro 96.

So is there any chance of MH getting any playing time?

2. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO it depends on how he does in camp and if Howard gets injured or red-carded. Cannon is very good too.

3. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    I happened to notice while watching Reading's playoff matches, that MH's distribution was outstanding. His long kicks almost always found the head or chest of a teammate. Some credit should be given to the hustle of the players, but from what I could tell MH's accuracy was remarkable.

I believe I recall Bruce saying that Friedel was a better distributor than Keller, and that is what edged him out for the starting role in K/J, so we know that Bruce feels this is important. This is the type of thing that could earn MH some playing time.

4. zpjohnstone

zpjohnstone Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now, I would assume he is going in as third choice, but then again Cannon has zero caps, I think. Arena cares more about a keeper's current form than distribution, so it's up to Marcus to outplay the others.

But I wouldn't bet on it, unless Howard coughs up another like that one he practically threw into the net a month ago.

5. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    I didn't mean to imply that that alone would earn him PT, but it could edge him out if Bruce feels the other stuff is about equal among the three.

6. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the answer is "maybe." I assume, based on the fact that he is playing every week at a high level and Cannon is riding the pine, he comes in as #2.

We play three games in five days, so we'll see plenty of changes to our starting XI, but for a keeper that schedule is probably not a big deal. If Howard plays (and practices) well, he could well get to start all three games. If Hahnemann looks excellent in training, maybe he'll get a game.

The bad thing about the schedule is that you might most likely sit a first-choice player in the middle game, but in this case Brazil is the middle game, so I don't know if he'll make that move. However, maybe Arena goes with our "best" against Turkey and Cameroon in an attempt to advance, and sends out a defensive squad playing for a draw against Brazil. It'll be interesting to see.

7. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Cannon is good, but in all honesty I don't rate him above Hahnemann. He does not have the wherewithal to save the most important of shots. But if Cannon is the second keeper, I imagine Arena will save Howard for Brazil, so Cannon gets Turkey. In that scenario, if things turn really disastrous against Turkey, then Arena will go to Hahnemann for Cameroon.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you go by the last Confederation Cup, then Bruce won't play Tim Howard all 3 games. If you go by...well, alot of examples, Bruce would like to get Work Permit caps for Joe Cannon, the only one of the 3 who needs them.

So who knows. IMO, he should play Marcus at least once, if that would make Reading happy. We start WCQs early next spring/late winter, and I think that an in-form Marcus would be better than an out-of-season Adin Brown. But more available than an in-season Kasey Keller or Brad Friedel.

That being the case, Bruce needs to make Reading happy, to give himself a better shot of getting released.

9. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, you think Arena plans to give Cannon enough caps to get a work permit? That's a real stretch, man.

10. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    I think Tim will get most, if not all of the starts. And I think Joe Cannon is higher rated than Hahnemann at the moment. I've read the Bruce is anxious to have some of the new guys get some major-tourney calibre experience, but it's not like MH is a spring chicken and I don't see him fitting into the National team picture in the future.

Besides, I think MH's season was a fluke and he'll go back to punching corners into his own net like he did at Fulham.

11. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Last season would have had to have been a fluke too, as he didn't do that in the 2 or 3 months that he was on loan back then either. Seven clean sheets in a row IIRC.

I don't expect him to start as I'd imagine it'd be a perfect chance to see how the younger guys cope with a bit of pressure. Mind you if he does start it'd be good to see (from a Reading point of view) but then again I don't know if any British channel is going to bother covering the event.

12. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, not really a clue, but I suspect both cannon and hahnemann have an equal chance of getting PT behind howard. Problem for them is though that Id expect Howard to start all the games for the US in the confed cup.

13. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    I don't think that the one cap that Joe Cannon might earn in the Confederations Cup will make much of a difference for his Work Permit.

14. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Member

May 28, 2003
    I seriously doubt that work permit caps will have any effect on Arena's decesion making. However, playing time and current form clearly do. On that basis, I would think that if either of the two back-up keepers get any time that it would be Hahnemann. The most likely scenario would be against Cameroon if it was already determined if we would advance or not.

15. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard will need the games for the permit more than Cannon if the move to Man U goes ahead 8)

thanks

16. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Will Hanhnemann get a game ????

I hope so.

I've heard good reports from his play with Reading & would like to see him in action, especially under pressure.

However, unless we go into the Cameroon match needing a result to get out of the group, IMO we won't see Hahnemann.

17. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Man U is going to either pull some strings to get around the work permit, or Howard will get his Hungarian passport faster than normal.

Remember its Man U we're talking about...

18. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    What about to play somebody that have prove that he know what to do with the ball once in front of the goal... Hint(Twelman)... why ya all part time soccer fans get closer to reality and quit having pipe dreams with people that have not earn fair and square a chance to play....

19. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya, thats true. Hopefully at the C Cup we can just get the best one out there and win it all.

thanks