Will FOX Soccer Channel show Copa Libertadores Semis?

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by MiamiAce, Jun 7, 2005.

1. MiamiAce

MiamiAce New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Miami, USA
    Hey there...

I don't have FOX Soccer Channel, I have FOX Sports en Espanol (FSE). FSE shows complete coverage of Copa Libertadores (Liberators Cup). I noticed on soccertv.com that FSC will not show quaterfinal 2nd leg matches of Copa Liber, just wanted to say that it would be a shame if FSC aficionados did not have the opportunity to watch the rest of these emotional final matches of Copa Liber. I use to not care much for Latin club soccer, until I started watching Copa Liber and learning about the tradition of South American teams. I now think Copa Liber is more exciting than UEFA Champions League as far as quality and emotion of its soccer, at least in the elimination stages of it. Anyways, the semifinals will be amazing, no doubt, it will possibly feature the top 2 Brazilian teams, Santos (the team Pele played for) and Sao Paulo, the top 2 Argentine teams, River Plate and Boca Juniors, but the Mexican giants, Chivas, are making an amazing run and appear likely to be in the semi-final.

The semifinals of Liberators Cup will be incredible... will Fox Soccer Channel show it since FOX Sports already has the TV rights?

2. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have not done so in the past for either the Copa Libertadores or the Copa Sudamericana.

I do agree in wishing they would however.

3. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they will now that it is all soccer all the time on FSC. They're showing the women's Euro champs, they should be able to figure out how to put the Copa Libertadores.

4. MiamiAce

MiamiAce New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Miami, USA
    OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU FSC GUYS ARE MISSING OUT!!!!!!

I'm watching the intro-welcome for Boca Juniors in their 2nd leg Copa Liber quarterfinal against Chivas in La Bombanera!!

LA BOMBANERA LOOKS LIKE ITS GOING TO EXPLODE!!!!!!!!!!! LITERALLY!!! Nothing in Europe comes close to this environment!!!!!!! 65,000 standing people all jumping up and down in sync while throwing things and waving thousands of flags, as the fireworks explode in the stands!!!!!

5. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhh, after the disgraceful events that happened at this match last night, I think it was good that Fox Soccer Channel chose not to televise it.

6. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    And maybe ESPN2 should not show CL because of the disgraceful things done by the AS Roma fans..... Don't judge a competition off one game, that is like judging MLS after watching the Crew play the Rapids.

7. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. I was only saying it tongue-in-cheek.

8. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    For the life of me I don't understand why they won't show the Copa Lib on FSC. Aren't both FSC and FSE Fox companies? Can't they share programming? It's not like they have to pay some sort of fee or something, do they?

I think enough people would tune in to justify them showing it and if they're trying to use it as a ploy for people to get FSE, it's not going to work. I anted up and got FSC recently but I'll have to pay like $20 more a month if I want FSE (as part of Dish Latino) and I'm not going to do that no matter how little Copa Libertadores games are shown on FSE. It just doesn't make any sense. I missed out on a lot of good soccer this year but dammit it's the semis already.

:mad:

9. Elisa Uranga

Elisa Uranga New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Sierra Madre, CA
    It's a joke. Fox Soccer Channel should show the best games. :mad:

10. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    I too wish they would show at least the semis and the final!

11. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    They are showing the final.

As far as why they don't show other Copa Lib games, I've been thinking about this a bit. I think its a business strategy. If FSE doesn't have at least some exclusive programming, then cable operators won't bother carrying both channels. Really, without the Copa Lib programming, FSE is nothing more then FSC with a SAP option. That's the only valid reason I can see for not filling up FSC's obviously wide open programming slots with these matches. I mean, the UEFA Women's Championsips.....come on, its getting a little ridiculous and its not even July yet.

12. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    You've got a point but to me it seems that they're marketing to two different audiences. My dad for instance has FSE because he speaks mainly Spanish. If he had FSC he wouldn't really watch it because he's more interested in Mexico and South American than he is in Europe. He'll watch a Copa Lib game but won't watch a Champions League game. If the game was on FSC, he probably wouldn't watch it (unless it was Chivas or another Mexican team) because it would be in English.

I think some people have an aversion to watching soccer games in other languages.

And to me with FSC programming, I don;'t mind so much the women's soccer games they show but the regular season EPL games that are on. You can show that but you can't show the Copa Libertadores? Gol TV is worse with showing old games.

13. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Hey, I didn't say it was a sound business strategy, but just that it was what the people running FSC are possibly thinking. Otherwise, I simply can't figure out why they wouldn't show these games on FSC....there is no good reason not to.

14. Warren Van Orden

Feb 29, 2000
    Richmond CA
    Unless the contracts are public we can't blithely assume that there would be no additional rights fees for English even if the same parent corporation has already paid for Spanish. In the reverse model, ESPN deportes surely won't be airing the worldcup in Spanish because ESPN/ABC/Disney own the English rights.

15. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    How about not having to produce the program for the English audience?

the Copa is produced for the Latin American audience, with the games shown on Fox Sports Latin America,. Fox Sports Argentina, Fox Sports Chile, etc. Fox Sports en Espanol in the U.S. is just piggybacking the broadcast, much like ESPN2 piggybacking the CL broadcasts on ESPN International.

16. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Okay...valid point...but is it really that hard to have Bretos and Hopkins do an extra game a week? Audio would be the only difference between the FSE broadcast and the FSC broadcast.

17. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    They could at least show the highlights show.

18. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    This is common knowledge.

I have to disagree with you here. FSWE caters to the Latino community here in the states. I have FSW and would gladly replace it with FSWE. Actually I am in the process of switching to a service that carries FSWE.