Will FC New York become the New York Cosmos?

Discussion in 'F.C. New York' started by ukfootballfan101, Apr 17, 2009.

1. ukfootballfan101

ukfootballfan101 New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hi, I'm a football fan from england (do you enlightened few call it soccer or football btw?), i'm new to USL/MLS but have been reading the big soccer USA section with interest.

I hope the game really takes off in the USA and becomes one of the "big sports".

Anyway from some of the stuff i've been read (wikipedia) I understand FC New York might become in the New York Cosmos? Is that right?

The Cosmos is one probabaly the most famous team in USA soccer history so it would be great if they were playing again.

If they became a seperate team do you think New York could support three teams?! That would be amazing IMO for soccer to be a success the MLS and USL have to begin working together and maybe even merge, taking the best bits from both.

And if there were three well supported teams in New York I think that would be huge!!!!

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome.

Unlikely.

Wikipedia is notoriously unreliable.

But at the moment, FCNY's wikipedia page doesn't say anything about it.

The name Cosmos gives some people in the NY area a big blue veiner. No matter how ridiculous it is to think that a new team with that name could live up to what the original team accomplished.

I wouldn't count on it.

3. ukfootballfan101

Mar 18, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I know what you mean about wikipedia!

I had another look at the page (thanks for posting the link) and someone has removed the clubs nicknames (have a look at the last version on the history tab), they were "Cosmos" and "The Peoples Club" - I hope that means David Moyes is going to be the 1st manager! :D

I know it would be alot to live up to but if the club had the right owners and they brought in the right marquee player it could be a success.

Unlike the galaxy, who I think in some ways made the wrong choice with Beckham, if the Cosmos were reformed they would need a "flair" player, maybe Kaka when he's a bit older or maybe even the Brazilian Ronaldo, I think he's getting back to full fitness.

4. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol....it's funny how the ownership of this club reads our boards...

The Borough Boys were joking around and started refering to ourselves as the People's Club, ala Everton...and that starting appearing everywhere.
    Same thing with calling the club "Wanderer's"...that's from our message boards too.

5. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious, how old are you?

6. ukfootballfan101

Mar 18, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm in my mid twenties so I'm to young to remember the Cosmos, but I read and watch things about football history.

7. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I just thought of something (yeah I know, hide the children :D); could they do an end-run around Pinton, and call the team the Kosmos? Do something different with the logo, and use different colors (blue, orange and white, perhaps?), or would this still be too close to the original (or would it be too corny?)?

Just a thought.

8. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The best thing ( maybe the only good thing... ) of this new team is the name and already somebody wishes to change it..........

9. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a) extremely lame
    b) brings to mind Kosmo Kramer from Seinfeld fame. Do you want Michael Richards as your mascot?

10. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Seeing him have that spaz he had when the "Entertainment Tonight" music came on would be worth the price of admission. :D

11. ukfootballfan101

Mar 18, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    How do you pronounce "Cosmos"??

Is it "Cos-Moss" or "Cos-Mo-zz"??

12. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Ding, Ding, Ding!!!!

13. ukfootballfan101

Mar 18, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    ha ha! That's what i'd always thought/seen/read but then I read it was short for Cosmopolitans, like Mets is short for Metropolitans and I got confused!!

Do you all think the team will be in the USL for the long term or will they move to MLS as soon as they can?

14. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I really don't know, there really isn't much information available regarding this.

15. HogHoopFan

HogHoopFan Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Fayettnam
    Coz-Mos...

the "o" in "mos" makes the sound of an O...

that's a short vowel, right?

16. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    It will be in USL long term, at least if you believe the co-owner.

17. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be great if they stayed in long term, the league needs NYC for a future pro/relg, Hopefully.