Will Edu serve Rice at his Summer 2023 Transfer Window BBQ?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by CarlosKaiser, Feb 3, 2023.

1. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best hope in that regard is that we draw a relative light-weight in the next round of Europa.

2. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Smith-Rowe’s defending has never been a strength. But in the advanced left 8 position, Xhaka’s defensive contribution hasn’t been a particular strength either, because he’s playing higher up the field and once bypassed he hasn’t got the recovery speed to immediately have a defensive impact.

I’m not advocating that ESR become the starting left 8, but there are game states when Arsenal are trailing by a goal, or are in a tied game that Arsenal have to win, when ESR, Trossard, or Vieira, make sense in the left 8 in place of Xhaka. All three would almost certainly get off the shot Xhaka had blocked on Wednesday. In addition, having a strong attacking presence next to him probably takes away some of the double teams that Martinelli has been facing recently. Arteta appears to be recognizing this with his late substitutions for Xhaka in the last two games.

3. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Seems bizarrely conservative on the ball, and then the opposite out of no where. He doesn't give me same impression of wanting to attack the goal, with pace that MO gives me. And, I think teams actually kind of relax a bit when he's on the ball.

thebigman repped this.
  4. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Which is strange because he filled up the stat sheet last season at Porto, 17 goals + assists while playing less than 15 x 90-minute equivalents. Confidence issue?

5. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Small body in a faster more physical league who has had the equivalent of 3.1, 90 minute games, to adapt to the physicality of premier league play. He needs more time to adapt and gain confidence.

yossarian and thebigman repped this.
  6. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lack of game time + the magnitude of the match/opposition. The blame might land somewhere between Arteta being too stubborn to rotate Xhaka more often and Vieira not blowing him away in training.

Tonerl repped this.
  7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I’m confident in vieira but he’s doubting himself and isn’t strong yet

he will get there. He has amazing technique

8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Xhaka is still a solid player and knows how to run some parts of the attack from a deeper position. His passing is generally good as well

esr has not shown rhat. All his best work is in a counter attacking phase or in the final third.
    I just cannot see him as an 8

maybe a 10 in a 4232 but he is better with the space in front of him and reacting quickly and not building

9. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We’re getting Barça.

10. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Arteta isn’t using Xhaka as a traditional 8. His responsibilities are much more as a part of the front 5, than the back 5. Xhaka is clearly a more progressive passer, though much less so since he began playing as an advanced 8. That build up role has fallen on Partey and Zinchenko. ESR is a more progressive ball carrier and breaks down defenses with quick one touch give and go passes.

Martinelli’s game has clearly suffered after the injury to Jesus. He doesn’t have the same understanding with Eddie or Xhaka that he has with Jesus. We don’t have the depth at forward to make a change there to help Martinelli regain his form, so any change probably has to come at left 8. I’d actually like to see what Trossard could do in that role, but I’m not opposed to ESR or Vieira getting a shot at left 8.

11. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are times in every game, including those we are dominating, when we are defending our third as a team. Xhaka does so much more work in these periods than he’s given credit for.

Smith-Rowe could be a midfielder someday but he isn’t now. I agree with you that he could be a situational replacement for the Xhaka role, but it would be heavily circumstance-dependent.

12. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm. They only managed a draw at the Camp Nou against Yanited. You sure? Regardless, I don't fear them.

Tonerl repped this.
  13. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Karma revenge tour, hopefully.

We’ll get United if they advance.

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps it’s time to learn the zone #’s? I don’t really know them either but I just did an image search and they’re pretty simple. And coaches like Pep refer to them with some regularity so I think we have to get with the program. :)

Plus it seems to me there’s less ambiguity or nuance in referring to zones compared to archetypal player positions like 6, 8, 9, 10.

But both numbering systems have their use of course.

15. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I agree, but it’s kinda weird Arteta plays Vieira in Odegaard’s position.

thebigman repped this.
  16. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we draw a Prem team in the next round?

Tonerl repped this.
  17. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    From wikipedia:

In the draw for the round of 16, the eight group winners will be seeded, and the eight winners of the knockout round play-offs will be unseeded. Again, the seeded teams will be drawn against the unseeded teams, with the seeded teams hosting the second leg. Teams from the same association cannot be drawn against each other.

18. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I thought I recalled from the year we made the Europa final (less said about that the better) we couldn't draw Chelsea until the quarters.

19. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City

And_ROOS repped this.
  20. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming we sign a young #6 this summer, im thinking that move may increase our chances of moving one of Partey or Jorginho.

21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good backup to the backup

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shades of Wenger "doin the right thing" by extending contracts of injured players? Diaby? (I can't recall the details)

Tonerl repped this.
  23. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read earlier that we had and option to extend his current deal but this is a separate extension on lower wages.

24. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Say what you will about Elneny as a player, he's been pretty consistent publicly affirming his affinity for the club. Feels rare to see that in someone who rarely sees first team action.

maskito and Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  25. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Coaching roles I think.