Will Adu be on the National Team?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Joelzinho, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I was reading in another forum on how Adu wouldn't be playing in the World Cup 2006 because he won't make the team. I kind of though he was losing his mind, because Adu is Americans proclaimed wonder child.

So que pasa, will he be on USA final roster come june?

2. st ryma 7

st ryma 7 Member

Dec 23, 2004
    the south bay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont think so, he should, barring injury or carreeer changing circumstances, be on the 2010 team, but hes not ready to be running at the best defenders in the world, it would do no good for anyone, even adu himself

3. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well thats kind of messed up. Hasnt he been tearing up the MLS....

4. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he hasn't been tearing MLS up. That could be put down to not getting enough time from his coach. That could be put down to him not being good enough to start. I think he should be on the NT tho. I think he would be a good sub with 10-15 mins left.

5. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    sometimes he'd tear it up and other times it was like he disappeared. He's probably grown a little since the MLS season ended through weight training and we'll have to see how he does during camp starting in a couple o' weeks. For my money he's a great "23rd" man. He definitely has the flair and creativity to actually create against good teams. It's just a toss up to which Adu comes to play. I for one am very excited to see how he does during camp. If he doesn't go, it's quite ok, age and experience didn't allow him to make the team. However, if he has grown enough to make the team, he's a great wild card to hold in your hand.

6. wonko389

wonko389 New Member

Oct 11, 2004
    jax, fl
    Who knows, maybe Adu will be one of those guys who when he plays against better competition he plays better. Remember Beasley in MLS, he never really looked all that great at all. Then he goes to PSV and tears it up. I never really thought Convey looked all that great in MLS either. Both of those guys to me always looked good for the national team, then I would watch them in MLS and wonder what it was that got them called up in the first place. Adu might be the same way. According to FSC he looked good in the Zizou vs. Ronaldo charity game last week.

7. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Beaz never tore the MLS up

8. st ryma 7

st ryma 7 Member

Dec 23, 2004
    the south bay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well if you consider starting around half of your team games "tearing it up" then yea, most national teamers can hold down a club level starting spot before they get to the world cup roster

9. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    There is disagreement as to whether he will make the team. Personally I
    think he has the necessary qualities to make it. The competition is not
    that great.

10. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    i tend to think that Adu will be on the national team. i know that he hasn't done a whole lot in mls so far, but that is more attributable to his coach than any lack of ability on his part.

i'm not sure if he will get much playing time in the world cup, but it can't hurt for him to be there, training with the guys and just soaking everything in. it may even help him deal with the inevitable pressures and demands in 2010.

11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the problems at the 4th forward spot (McBride, Johnson, Wolff, ....), or even the 3rd if you are not a big backer of Josh Wolff, I think Arena may decide to take 9 middies and only three forwards (not counting Landon as a forward). That 4th forward spot should be a guy who can come in and create goals at the end when we need them.

I think Adu has a shot at that spot, along with Dempsey and Martino.

12. SiriusSoccerFan

SiriusSoccerFan New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Fayetteville, AR
    Adu will have to do something incredible this next camp to upseat the players that have already proven themselves. We are stacked in the midfield and the strikers. There is no way Adu will do well enough in one game to convince Bruce Arena that there should be a 23rd spot just for him. Even Arena said his roster was pretty much complete.

13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't the point that there aren't enough people who have "proven" themselves? There are a good 3 or 4 spots on this roster that are up for grabs. Who has proven themselves for those spots? Quaranta? Ralston? Ching? Wolff? We haven't even talked about the possibility of injuries. I'm not saying that Adu is going to make the team, but a 16 year old kid wouldn't be getting called in for camp if we had a wealth of proven players.

14. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Isnt he 17 now?

15. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    June, 2006.

16. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    hey same time as me!

I say give the kid a chance, who knows. Maybe he will embarras everyone

17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe he will just show that he is as good of a 20 minute sub as we can expect anyone else to be.

18. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well I dont expect him to start. But I can see him coming at tired defenses for 20 minutes with his pace and skill. He would be a nightmare for those last 20 minutes. I think he is derserving of a sub spot.

19. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beasley(wrecks the CL), Convey(promotion), even Mathis did well overseas for a stint. All had forgetable spells in MLS. Doesn't mean MLS is a standard bearer for the NT. The kid has a camp and about 4-6 months to impress. That's more of a shot than most BS posters.

20. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    I think that applies to a lot of those guys... wolff and dempsey could also be threats for a 20 minute span.

is Adu really deserving over either of them? in this case, i could see wolff getting the nod just because he has a bit more intermational playing experience.

21. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But what has Wolff done to deserve more time in international play over Adu or even Dempsey?

22. buffalo

buffalo New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Buffalo
    Score in the World Cup. I think all three will be on the team.

23. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josh Wolff has never scored in the World Cup.In qualifiers yes, but in the actual Finals, he hasnt.

24. I've seen him play brilliantly in MLS, including a heartbreaking late strike at HDC last summer that defeated the Galaxy 1:0.

I would love to see a guy have a chance to play for USA in 5 consecutive World Cups and break the record for youngest player ever to play in a finals.

I would also love the increased media attention in the US if he plays.

However, if his play at the U20 world championship in Holland last June is any indication, he is not ready, and the foregoing reasons are not enough to give him a roster spot over someone who is ready.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing him in a friendly this spring.

25. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been looking for where he did and couldn't find it. thanks for the post before i put my foot in my mouth but I'm sure we can find lots of players who scored in WCQ who shouldn't touch the bench at a WC Finals.