Wild speculation about Cancela to Colorado

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Soccer Doc, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither Cancela nor Flores get called up to the USMNT. Maestro does on a regular basis. He is more a lock for the rest of the meaningful qualification games than any current Rev.

If Noonan, Ralston and Dempsey continue to catch Arena's eye and we put Maestro into our starting line up we will continue to be boned come qualifications games.

2. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talk about wild speculation_wow! :D

3. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW. That would be sweet if after you trade for Pablo you then clone him. ;)

4. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, what would be sweeter is if we cloned Dempsey.

5. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    I'd be shocked if FC was in agreement to trade Pablo for Pepe.

In the tradition of Bruce Arena and Bob Bradley, it's perhaps time for FC to sign his 15-year-old son, Nico, to a contract. besides being an ODP player, the kid, after all, is light years better than Arena's or Bradley's kids. :)

6. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They should link up well together in the midfield as i have heard that Dempsey really enjoys playing with himself.

7. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you Metro Fans have some type of fixation about such things?

8. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you suggesting that they are a bunch of Djorkaeff's? ;)

9. Gregor

Gregor New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    Boston, MA USA
    so now another rumor: "The Rapids to pick up Daniel Hernandez?" A Pablo type midfielder, no?

10. Lurtz

Lurtz Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Sucks for the Revs. I would be happy to see Jose go to Colorado though, he would certainly get more playing time and would be happier with out SN holding him back under his defensive oriented style of play. FC has a pretty defensive minded team as well, but I think that is because they don't have anyone like Cancela who can dictate the midfield and keep possession of the ball.

Not to mention I am somewhat of a Rapids fan myself so...

11. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Oh dear, here we go again...

The Revolution have the best defense in the League right now, and at various points this season, has also retained the distinction of having the most productive attack in the League. There may be an emphasis on total team defense (i.e. having the forwards an attacking midfielders like Cancela contribute defensively as well), but the idea that the style of play isdefensive oriented is simply misinformed.

I don't think Nicol's doing anything to hold Cancela back, and it really comes down to Pepe in justifying his spot in the team. Personally, I think he's having a pretty good season, but it certanily doesn't help his game when he's playing with unfamiliar wingbacks (Riley, Latham) or attackers (Edozien, Smith).

The Magpie

12. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'mnot sure Pepe can do anything to turn this around. For what ever reason, Nicol seems to blame him for everything that goes wrong and pulls him every game. I can't help but believe that it's a buildup to getting rid of him. Too bad too because I think he does contribute to the overall product.

Smith on the other hand is pure crap and if we had aother third forward, he'd be gone right now.

13. Lurtz

Lurtz Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I strongly disagree. Our offensive being great has nothing to do with our style of play, it's simply because we have some of the best forwards and midfielders in the league. I notice in games we sometimes just play conservatively for the tie and not the win. I do not agree with this aproach. And how can Cancela justify his spot on the team when he is taken out half way through or maybe 2/3 through the game almost every week?

14. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001

disagree. pepe could take control of a game, make some threatning runs at goal, score a few and make an impact on the game.

instead of beeing a non-factor who LOOKS good with the ball at his feet, and passing the ball backwards. when passing the ball backwards to Joe Francnio is your only option, you've got problems.

he disappears, and when he reapears is generally not a threat to other teams. fine, except he's peged as the a-mid. he's great on the ball. plays great. just plays without "teeth".

it's not that he does anything wrong. its just that not making mistakes isn't enough sometimes.

15. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Which games have we been playing for the tie and not to win? I can see some circumstances where we've played defensively late in games as perhaps not to lose, but I've watched every Revolution match this season and haven't seen much to support your argument that the Revs have a defensive style. For the most part the Revolution have exhibited a much greater attacking sensibility this season, with good transition play and ball control (save for the past few weeks when we've been missing some key players).

Let me ask you, what is a defensive style, at least relative to the Revs in your argument?

The Magpie

16. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Picking on this in two threads - sorry it's a slow day...

I don't see Pepe ever doing this. It is not his style. That said, I still maintain that the role he is good at - distributor - is very important and could be more effective if the team used him more in that role. I think the missing starters do use him more plus they've been effective enough this year that when they are ignoring him, they are still winning. In that case who can argue?

Over his history with this team (more than this year) though, many team mates that couldn't pass half as well as they thought have by-passed Pepe in favor of a "more ambitious" pass that they inevitably screw up. In the Chicago game, the team was bypassing Cancela starting midway through the first half.

Now, that may be the reason to sub him. But, I think Nicol subbing Cancela gives insight into his opinion of Cancela and/or that style of play. He could have left Cancela in and had his young, inexperienced guys get another 30ish minutes opportunity to attempt to play a good mid-field passing game or he could go to the long ball game. Either way he probably had just as much chance of tieing the game back up but he chose to substitute and go long.

When it is Dorman for Cancela but mixed with Ralston, Dempsey, Joseph, Noonan then it is a subtle change to either a slightly more direct or more defensive style. In this last game, it was throwing up his hands and just going for the long ball. (Yes the last five minutes there was some good possesion but Chicago had just built a bunker by then).

17. Dan B

Dan B New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Marlborough, MA, USA
    The Revs have been playing on and off with Leonard as a fourth defender for quite some time. He tends to stay back and wide, and defend much more than he ventures forward.

In the last game, Latham and Riley were so far back, it looked like we were playing 5 across the back most of the time. We only pushed them forward when we went behind, and for that matter, we were playing with 2 in the back towards the end of the game. This is what allowed us some offense that almost netted the tying goal.

All the talk about removing Cancela being the driving force in creating offense ignores the fact that Chicago started to sit on the lead, and we pushed players forward that were back all game.

So yes, we were playing for the tie in LA, and again in Chicago, and we play large stretches of other games with pretty much 4 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders.

Cancela's good. Possibly very good by MLS or Rev standards. He just needs players around him who can make it work. Smith - No, Franchino - No, Latham - No, Riley - Not on this day. That only left Dorman and Twellman. Not nearly enough to make anything work.

18. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you know what Coach Nicol thinks? :confused:
    Your statement is pure conjecture and projection of your negative opinion.

We have a very able coach who right now has built a team the likes of which we have NEVER had in New England. We are in first place in the East with the best goal differential and except for National Team call-ups would most likely be sitting on the top of the table. The decisions SN are making seem to be working just fine.

19. Dan B

Dan B New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Marlborough, MA, USA
    Calm down there a minute Doc.

No need to jump all over him. RevsRule's statement is very logical and right to the point. He uses phrase "Seems to". In all honesty, that's what it seems like to me too. He makes no statement indicating that he KNOWS what Nicol is thinking. In his next sentence he uses the word BELIEVE. Aren't these the same words you use when you defend the Coach Nicol?

There was no character attack there, and I don't think a return attack was warranted.

Now if you were defending Khano Smith for his comments later in the same reply, then that's another thing. ;)

20. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The defender of the faith speaks.

Beware the wrath of Dr. Sunshine all ye that dare to say anything that may be viewed as even mildly “negative.” The good Dr. seems to have the time to monitor every thread, fighting anti-Revism where ever it exists. However, there was no negativism in this post.

Let me clarify my original statement about Pepe. I feel bad for him. I think he’s a quality player that plays hard and gives everything he has to give. SN seems to be down on him for some reason. Pepe adds a lot to this team but isn’t the type of player that can take over a game as others have suggested he should. He’s a calming factor on the field and isn’t one that tends to go for the long, direct style of soccer that SN seems to favor. One doesn’t have to know what SN thinks to see what’s going on. The fact that he pulls him every game (lately) while leaving other, far worse players, on the field shows what SN is thinking. There can only be one reason for this and that is that he doesn’t like what Pepe is doing on the field so he gives him the hook. Against Chicago we’re very short handed and yet he still pulls Pepe while leaving Joey and Smith on the field. Joey’s performance was one of the worst I can remember by an experienced, professional soccer player but he plays for 90. The fact that he even has a job amazes me. One has to think that Pepe’s stay here is about over.

As far as SN goes, I really wonder how much he has to do with player selection? Does he get who he wants or are players handed to him to manage or some mix of the two. For every Twellman, Dempsey and Parkhurst that someone picked, there’s a Brilliant, Cassio and Smith, so it ain’t all roses. I do think that SN is a players coach and for the most part, good at managing people. I don’t think he’s being overly fair with Pepe right now and I think that’s too bad. He tolerates so little from others that play 90 minutes while pulling Pepe from the game week after week. If I were Pepe, I’d want out of here and I’m not sure that there’s anything Pepe can do to turn it around. He is what he is and if that doesn’t fit SN’s plan, then he’ll be shipped out of here as soon as we can get something for him.

21. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll put my two cents in here for what its worth

I think what we are dealing with here is a conflict of soccer ideology SN prefers the one touch two teach English style while Cancela prefers that Latin passion style of play. Both likely believe very strongly in there style of play and for very good reasons. However, this leans to a conflict on what should happen on the field and I believe this is why Cancela has a very short string. I have noticed that he often does hold the ball longer then is necessary and at times seam like he is playing a different game then the rest of the Revs. Not that I’m saying he is not a team player, I’m sure he likely believe that is bring something more to the team and for what it’s worth I agree with him. I don’t think SN does. This is what I believe Cancela is not long for the revs maybe not this season but for sure next season.

22. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    The beautiful part of our game, where we started to play so well, was when Taylor, Noonan, Dempsey and Ralston came back from the Nats and were linked with Pepe in the middle. The flow of the game, the give and gos, the short, quick passes, the running off of the ball, it all started when Pepe was starting. When Dorman came in, we were able to keep it going. On Saturday, Cancela was still playing that way. Dorman, Twellman and Parkhurst were the only other players who seem to have the feel of the game to do that as well. Dorman wasn't able to turn it on last game and Parkhurst and Twellman don't overlap or move through the midfield.

I am baffled why we take Cancela off the field when we are behind, especially when we are short people. Absolutely baffled.

23. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
    really? baffeled? the guy is better suited to be on the field when we are up, or when we have the run of play, because he can hold the ball better than anyone. when we are behind, and can't posses the ball he is like tits on a bull.

nicol had a few choices.

A - do nothing. hope for the best. that choice didn't look promising to me. nothing led me to belive that the midfield led by cancela would all of a sudden start clicking, and become a threat. they were not wining the battles with the status quo...

B- leave cancela in and sub in endozian or someone else??? but continute to try and possess the ball and play through cancela. that didn't show any promise at all for a number of reasons... surrounding personel top among them.

C - sub cancela, and play more direct, change the game instead of imposing the failed 'possesion via cancela' plan.

you can disgaree with the choice taken (you wouldn't/shouldn't if endozien burys the header) but if that is baffeling then you need to take a step back.

cancela is a role player that needs better players around him to be useful. he doesn't make the players around him better and he is not an offensive threat at all. his game is not complete... he has a beautiful touch, and holds the ball better than anyone. that and $2 buys you a cup of coffee in MLS.

amids that don't score and aren't threats by definition are NOT Amids. they are called 'subs' or 'prospects' or holding mids. cancela has to prove he can be useful when the game is on the line. see dorman ( who is an average player with ups and downs).

and on another note - we are not short people, by any stretch of the imagination - at least not any game that khano smith starts ;)

24. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
    not sure why you think that - do you know something about his thinking that is not public knowledge?

I think it more plain than that. SN perfers to win games, and cancela is not nececarily capable of delivering goals when they are needed to win games.

seems to me that sn has set up this team to posses and play attacking soccer in the 'latin' style. so i'm not really sure where your 'ideology' comment comes from. this year, more than any, sn's style suites cancela's game. yet he is average. should be a standout year for cancela. but its not.

so he fights for playing time. as he should.

25. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Edozian for Smith. Simple.

I'm not even arguing that Cancela was having a great game, but he certainly was a better threat to score from distance than the guys left out there.